Traveling international - no cell service with full bars

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I called ATT before the trip to make sure international roaming was enabled and the guy said as long as the phone is international it should roam fine. We'll, I get full bars but each time I try to place a call the message immediately pops up "Not registered to network". I've rebooted the phone, airplane loses it, etc. I even tried going into the mobile network settings and selected manual and tried choosing one of two listed networks to no success. Any idea what the issue is guys??

Rev.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Depending upon the country, you should have picked up on their GSM network assuming that AT&T set up the international roaming correctly. It sounds like they did not. You could try purchasing a SIM and register it on the country GSM network? AT&T intl customer service 0019168434685. When I was in the UK, I was able to roam on O2 and Orange. Remember, once it is set up, turn off your phone at bedtime since you will be charged while the phone is ringing and when it hits voicmail. You are then charged for accessing voicemail.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I'm back from vacation and Googled that message and everything said it was an account that wasn't setup for international service. I called AT&T and they said everything is set but they wanted to transfer me to the International Services department which they did. Of course the gentleman I spoke to looked at the account and said international roaming was not enabled on my line. He enabled it, no monthly charge but at the standard rates which I'm fine with. So now I'm all set up and will be able to connect internationally. Really ticks me off though that I called ahead so that I would have service and was told everything is all set when it wasn't. We did fine with one phone but it's always more comforting knowing we both have phones that are working on us just in case we ever got separated.

Rev.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I'm back from vacation and Googled that message and everything said it was an account that wasn't setup for international service. I called AT&T and they said everything is set but they wanted to transfer me to the International Services department which they did. Of course the gentleman I spoke to looked at the account and said international roaming was not enabled on my line. He enabled it, no monthly charge but at the standard rates which I'm fine with. So now I'm all set up and will be able to connect internationally. Really ticks me off though that I called ahead so that I would have service and was told everything is all set when it wasn't. We did fine with one phone but it's always more comforting knowing we both have phones that are working on us just in case we ever got separated.

Rev.

Is there a huge difference in price for over seas roaming? Sorry to lazy to look at the web site! Was just wondering. I will need to look into this soon. But I will just buy a SIM card when I get to Ireland! Its a lot cheaper from my understanding.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Is there a huge difference in price for over seas roaming? Sorry to lazy to look at the web site! Was just wondering. I will need to look into this soon. But I will just buy a SIM card when I get to Ireland! Its a lot cheaper from my understanding.

Did a two week trip there. My AT&T rep set me up with a one month plan for $30.00(full use of phone+data). After my return, i cancelled the plan(actually did it from Shannon Airport), and my total cost was $15.00. I was happy.:D

Reactions: cgardnervt

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Is there a huge difference in price for over seas roaming?

Yeah, each minute to call home from Saint Martin would've cost me $2.29! But when I call home it's literally a one minute call, just to check to make sure everything is going ok (my mother comes and stays at our house to take care of our two dogs). And data, data is pretty much always $20.00 per *megabyte*. I never use data roaming and have it disabled. Next time I may look into those plans like Grunt0300 used.

Rev.

Reactions: cgardnervt

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Did a two week trip there. My AT&T rep set me up with a one month plan for $30.00(full use of phone+data). After my return, i cancelled the plan(actually did it from Shannon Airport), and my total cost was $15.00. I was happy.:D

Thanks a lot for the information! I plan on doing the same then.

Yeah, each minute to call home from Saint Martin would've cost me $2.29! But when I call home it's literally a one minute call, just to check to make sure everything is going ok (my mother comes and stays at our house to take care of our two dogs). And data, data is pretty much always $20.00 per *megabyte*. I never use data roaming and have it disabled. Next time I may look into those plans like Grunt0300 used.

Rev.

Nice Rev! Have a good trip man and safe travels to you and your family!

jjpeter11

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
International SIM Cards reduce your cost of roaming by as much as 90% depending on the provider you use. These cards also allow you to receive free incoming calls in many countries. Several providers also provide enhanced features like voicemail, data services and more., These cards also allow you to receive free incoming calls in many countries. You can get international for your USA tour. It costs very low price than anyother international sim card. international SIM

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I go through that every time I change phones. I usually get data, I always have to escalate to get voice provisioned.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Just unlock your phone and buy a prepaid SIM card. Way cheaper than doing international rates. My phone worked great in Mexico and Jamaica

Milly

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty