Where is the cheapest place to buy an AT&T GS3?

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine they will stop charging the fee with subscriptions soon. They already do up here in Canada....I got my 16GB a month ago and didn't pay a cent, aside from renewing my 3 year contract.

goodtimes50

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Call back and talk to someone else. This often works with large bureaucracies.

That was basically my plan. If I still have no luck after a few tries I was going to ask to speak to a supervisor since SOMEONE obviously has the authority to do these deals...

I would imagine they will stop charging the fee with subscriptions soon. They already do up here in Canada....I got my 16GB a month ago and didn't pay a cent, aside from renewing my 3 year contract.

3 years?!! Yikes!

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
That's a standard contract here, across all carriers. You want a phone for "free", you sign a contract.....or pay $600 out of your own pocket. My monthly bill is about $70...I can deal with that.

goodtimes50

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Just called again. This time the guy transferred me to their "CLM" department (whatever that is) to see what price they could get me. They said the best they could do was the price on the website even after I told them I was aware of multiple people who got it for under $100. He said he had no idea how they were able to get it for that price. Oh well, guess I'll just keep trying...

goodtimes50

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
On the phone now with a CLM supervisor and he's saying there's absolutely no way he can adjust the price. Would those of you who were able to negotiate a lower price mind sharing the support number you called (assuming it wasn't 611)? Maybe I'm just not talking to the right department...

goodtimes50

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay, finally something happened. I ended up asking if their Customer Retentions dept had the authority to modify the price. He wasn't sure so I asked to be transferred to CR (I never actually told them I wanted to cancel service). The CR rep said she could only drop it to $149, but that she could give me 6 months free messaging and waived the upgrade fee. That amounts to $180 off my bill over the next 6 months, so they basically paid me $30 to upgrade my phone! Saweeeet!

In short, if everyone else is saying something can't be done, talk to the Customer Retentions dept.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear you finally got a deal. And yes, we DID call 611 but you have to speak with Customer Service, NOT Sales or Upgrades. Amazing they sent you to customer retention especially with so many other carriers offering the GS3.. Am assuming your unlimited data and other plan elements were grandfathered over instantly too, which is the beauty of going direct to AT&T. There's no guarantees unlimited data etc will get grandfathered when buying from third parties and certainly NOT instantly.

goodtimes50

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear you finally got a deal. And yes, we DID call 611 but you have to speak with Customer Service, NOT Sales or Upgrades. Amazing they sent you to customer retention especially with so many other carriers offering the GS3.. Am assuming your unlimited data and other plan elements were grandfathered over instantly too, which is the beauty of going direct to AT&T. There's no guarantees unlimited data etc will get grandfathered when buying from third parties and certainly NOT instantly.

Perhaps that was the problem, I was talking to the sales dept. And yeah, keeping my unlimited plan was the primary reason I wanted to to this through AT&T.

Should've just went to Wal-mart, 149 all day long. Been that way since July.

I knew Walmart had them for that price but, like I said above, I didn't want any complications with keeping my unlimited data. I ended up essentially making $30 on the deal (not even counting the upgrade fee, which I would have had to pay through Walmart as well).

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I picked mine up at best buy Friday. Total spent$236 included the phone camo otterbox and taxes. Now waiting for Price to go lower somewhere over the next 30 days so I can get more Money back with the Best Buy 30 day price match. Oh and I also managed to get my activation fee waived as well.

goodtimes50

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I picked mine up at best buy Friday. Total spent$236 included the phone camo otterbox and taxes. Now waiting for Price to go lower somewhere over the next 30 days so I can get more Money back with the Best Buy 30 day price match. Oh and I also managed to get my activation fee waived as well.

AmazonWireless has it for $139 (AT&T). You're probably not likely to find it for much cheaper than that...

mike568

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I got my AT&T Galaxy S3 for $216.49 on the AT&T Premier website. I had to go through the Premier Website because when I had my iPhone 4 I used Google Voice for texting but I wanted texting through AT&T on my Galaxy S3 but did not need unlimited texting. On the Premier website it would let me choose unlimited data w/1500 messages that a corp store couldn't/wouldn't add with the feature code. So I called AT&T after I had received the phone and they price matched Radio Shack for $149.99 so they credited my AT&T account $50 and even waived the upgrade fee. I sold my iPhone 4 for $200 so in the end I got paid to upgrade to the Galaxy S3.

mike568

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
AmazonWireless has it for $139 (AT&T). You're probably not likely to find it for much cheaper than that...
My Best Buy will price match an item if it is SOLD and Fulfilled from Amazon directly. I live in Texas where Amazon started charging sales tax earlier this year and I will admit I shop at Best Buy more now. Best Buy Price Match.jpg

Last edited:

Blackjack55345

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I just bought my S3 a couple weeks ago at the AT&T store. After seeing this thread I'll be calling in to see if they can do something for me. Been with AT&T for years and years, hopefully they'll play nice.

Cyrk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I have a iPhone 3GS and an iPad 2. My AT&T contract is up and I have had att since the iPhone one.

Well went to the AT&T store and decided I wanted a change and was going for the s3. But I want to do som research before I jumped in. Came across this site and message. Thanks! Called on my way home from work and spoke to customer support. Told them I have been with them forever and that money is tight these days and my contract is up. They were great and said they waive the upgraded fee. And asked me if I was ready to purchase the phone today if we could agree on a price.

She asked me what I was comfortable with paying?!? I told her the truth nothing... Well after a few minutes on hold. She said that I will get my new s3 for $0 and no upgrade fee! All I had to do was choose white or blue. (I chose blue).

So thanks for this thread! Excited to get the phone in a few days. Hope I like the droid platform as I have been very happy with iOS.

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh, didn't see the unlimited part. I hardly ever use my mobile data since there's free wifi everywhere usually. Non-issue there but I didn't get hit with a upgrade or activation fee when I got mine.

goodtimes50

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
She asked me what I was comfortable with paying?!? I told her the truth nothing... Well after a few minutes on hold. She said that I will get my new s3 for $0 and no upgrade fee! All I had to do was choose white or blue. (I chose blue).

Holy moly! I spoke with numerous people (including supervisors and a Customer Retention rep) and they ALL said that it was impossible to go below $149 on this phone. In the end I ended up with a deal I was very happy with, but this is very interesting. Would you mind sharing what number you called (i.e. 611?) and which department you spoke with (i.e. sales, customer service, etc.)?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Wow, this is an amazing thread. Some people got their S3 from AT&T for free and had the activation waived while others couldn't get a price less than $149. I'm going to call them and see if I can get one for free and report back on the results. It's amazing the price variances people have experienced but not unexpected for a company as large as AT&T. Many times I've called them (usually UVerse tech support) and the results do vary depending on who you speak with. I've had numerous bill reductions because of service problems. I'm going to call customer retention and tell them I'm switching to MetroPCS unless I get a free S3 and waived activation. My contract is up and I've been with AT&T for 8 years.