Where is the cheapest place to buy an AT&T GS3?

Blackjack55345

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Talked to AT&T Customer service today, at first they said it was up to the discretion of the store I bought it at to price match, but after she talked to her manager I managed to get fifty dollars off my bill and a waived activation fee. I was pretty happy with that. But now that I see Best Buy is gonna have for $99...debating a return and just buy it there. Save a good chunk of change with that,

goodtimes50

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Talked to AT&T Customer service today, at first they said it was up to the discretion of the store I bought it at to price match, but after she talked to her manager I managed to get fifty dollars off my bill and a waived activation fee. I was pretty happy with that. But now that I see Best Buy is gonna have for $99...debating a return and just buy it there. Save a good chunk of change with that,

Assuming you paid $199 and were credited $86 back ($50 + 36), you essentially paid $113 which really isn't too bad at all...

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Since I bought mine 2 weeks ago for $150, I plan to have them do a price match Sunday when the one day sale hits.

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just checked and looks like Best Buy and Radio Shack both have the SGS3 for $99. I'm on my way to get my $50 back yay!!!

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
If I can't get one for free from AT&T I'm going to wait for Black Friday. I'm thinking if they're $99 now they'll be even less on Black Friday because 2 years ago on Black Friday I got my Captivate at Radio Shack for free with waived activation fee. I'm thinking maybe $49/waived activation.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's a good idea, mty msi. They'll probably drop to $99. again by then, and several more times. Then before you know it....the GS3's will be @ $49.

I went to Radio Shack on 12 Oct, after returning my 10-day old Skyrocket to our local AT&T store (where they fortunately waived the 'Restock Fee'), and Radio Shack agreed to do the $99. deal for me if I came back on 14 Oct.
So I did, and they also gave me an additional [$5. Off Coupon], so that brought it down to $94. Earlier that day, AT&T Customer Service had also agreed to waive the $36. 'Activation Fee', which they should always do anyway, imo, when it's an upgrade w/ contract. :rolleyes:

Three weeks back, I was able to sell my iPhone 3GS (that I purchased new from AT&T--for only $50.) for $170., so made $120. there, but now I regret selling it, as it was still working beautifully, and was plenty of 'smartphone' for me. . .as all I mainly did was make phone calls, email, browse the web, check the active radar & satellite, and listen to the TuneIn radio or the iPod.

But after hastily & foolishly selling my iPhone . . . now I'm starting to kinda wish I would've kept the Skyrocket. The GS3 has better hardware, of course, but many software deficiencies, in comparison to the AT&T Skyrocket. The GS3 doesn't even have an office suite, for crying out loud! :(
eg . . .
1) No Adobe Flash Player support; won't download on GS3 ICS 4.0.4 (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 had 'Adobe Flash Player')

2) No office doc app; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has 'QuickOffice')

3) No Application Manager Widget; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has App Widget). . .so with the GS3, you have to pull down the 'Notifications' bar, but after doing so, there's still NO screen brightness adjustment ! :rolleyes:

4) No Power Saving Widget; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has PS Widget). . . so with the GS3, in order to adjust screen brightness---you have to tap settings > display > brightness > and then play w/ the adjuster :rolleyes:

5) No quick notes app, just S Memo; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has regular Memo app)

. . . etc.-etc.etc. I have until this Friday to decide whether or not to return my GS3, which I'm now leaning towards doing. :-[

Last edited:

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
But after hastily & foolishly selling my iPhone . . . now I'm starting to kinda wish I would've kept the Skyrocket. The GS3 has better hardware, of course, but many software deficiencies, in comparison to the AT&T Skyrocket. The GS3 doesn't even have an office suite, for crying out loud! :(
eg . . .
1) No Adobe Flash Player support; won't download on GS3 ICS 4.0.4 (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 had 'Adobe Flash Player')

I have Adobe Flash on my GS3 with 4.0.4 - I think Adobe quit supporting it at some point and Play Store removed it, but you should still be able to find it to install - look around the forums.

2) No office doc app; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has 'QuickOffice')

Download "Office Suite Pro" from Play Store - free and works very well.

3) No Application Manager Widget; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has App Widget). . .so with the GS3, you have to pull down the 'Notifications' bar, but after doing so, there's still NO screen brightness adjustment ! :rolleyes:

There is a screen brightness slider on my pull down bar, after the latest ICS update from AT&T...

4) No Power Saving Widget; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has PS Widget). . . so with the GS3, in order to adjust screen brightness---you have to tap settings > display > brightness > and then play w/ the adjuster :rolleyes:

Download "Juice Defender" from Play Store - definitely the best power saving app.

5) No quick notes app, just S Memo; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has regular Memo app)

. . . etc.-etc.etc. I have until this Friday to decide whether or not to return my GS3, which I'm now leaning towards doing. :-[

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much, DallasFlier. Really appreciate your replies. ;) I'll look into those apps and see if I can update my 4.0.4

So what's your current android version now?

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much, DallasFlier. Really appreciate your replies. ;) I'll look into those apps and see if I can update my 4.0.4

So what's your current android version now?

You're quite welcome!

My Android version: 4.0.4

Baseband version: I747UCLH9

Build number: IMM76D.I747UCALH9

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again, DallasFlier,

So, if I understand you.... even though I'm running v.4.0.4 .... my Baseband version: I747UCLG1, and my Build number: IMM76D.I747UCALG1 --- can be updated?

Just went to 'Software Update' at the top of Settings > About Device . . . and tapped on 'Check the AT&T server for new software update?' . . . and after it ran the check, it came back: 'Current software is up to date.' :-\

So, what's up with that I wonder? :-{

Btw, DallasFlier . . . our Washington Huskies could have easily opened up another (as in two-in-a-row :p ) can of whoop-a*s on your Nebraska Huskers, last year in 2011 at your place. . . if only those ref's you guys must have quite obviously paid-off hadn't been in the U of N's pockets and their 12th -thru-17th player's on the field throughout that whole (fixed) game! :p

Last edited:

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again, DallasFlier,

So, if I understand you.... even though I'm running v.4.0.4 .... my Baseband version: I747UCLG1, and my Build number: IMM76D.I747UCALG1 --- can be updated?

Just went to 'Software Update' at the top of Settings > About Device . . . and tapped on 'Check the AT&T server for new software update?' . . . and after it ran the check, it came back: 'Current software is up to date.' :-\

So, what's up with that I wonder? :-{

Btw, DallasFlier . . . our Washington Huskies could have easily opened up another (as in two-in-a-row :p ) can of whoop-a*s on your Nebraska Huskers, last year in 2011 at your place. . . if only those ref's you guys must have quite obviously paid-off hadn't been in the U of N's pockets and their 12th -thru-17th player's on the field throughout that whole (fixed) game! :p

It definitely appears that my baseband and build versions are later than yours. Afraid I can't tell you how to fix that though, other than suggesting to check for an update, which you already did. Might do a search here, and if you don/t find anything start a thread and see if someone can assist.

As for the Huskies... coulda', shoulda', woulda' - but they didn't! :p We beat you at your house, beat you at our house, lost when forced into a bowl rematch that our guys weren't at all happy or fired up about being at. Lets see, what numbers do you get if you combine the scores of all three games? :D

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by DallasFlier:
I have Adobe Flash on my GS3 with 4.0.4 - I think Adobe quit supporting it at some point and Play Store removed it, but you should still be able to find it to install - look around the forums.
Hey, thanks again, DallasFlier! I was able to DL Adobe Flash Player from: Adobe Community: How do I manually install Flash Player on my Android device? . . .and it works great! ;)
Now if I can only find the thread---where the good forum member suggested that download---so I can thank him too! lol

Is this the 'Office Suite Pro 6' (free trial version)?

There is a screen brightness slider on my pull down bar, after the latest ICS update from AT&T...
There's not one on my Notification drop-down toolbar. Maybe that's because I have an older 'Baseband' & 'Build' versions than you do, which doesn't seem very fair, since my GS3 just arrived via the mail last week. :( Btw...I can't try an update for another few hours, since AT&T makes you wait 24hrs from your last try.

Download "Juice Defender" from Play Store - definitely the best power saving app.
The reviews look mostly positive, but some user's of JD are complaining about the latest update (i.e.-crashing, slow downs, and actually using MORE battery juice up?)---which seems somewhat par for the course---with just about ALL the android apps. :confused:

Thanks again. And yeah, you guy's did win 2 out of the last 3. I'll give ya that. ;) We've gone steadily down hill since putting up 56 and almost beating Baylor in the Alamo Bowl. I think Sarkisan's days are numbered, as they've been horrifically blown-out in their last six away games, and after his 3.5 years....have now digressed back down to being below mediocre, sadly :(

Btw, back on topic . . .and from this similar thread over on the reg Samsung Galaxy S3 forum: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...uy-holding-galaxy-s3-sale-again-tomorrow.html . . .
Radio Shack will 'match price' (on the same day), plus give you an additional $5. off coupon (making it $94.99), and they DON'T CHARGE a 'restocking fee' in case you decide to return it within 30 days (AT&T has dropped down to 14 days, as of 7 Oct.), but I think the Radio Shack 30 day return policy trumps the AT&T policy (if I understood the RS manager correctly).

Last edited:

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by DallasFlier:
Hey, thanks again, DallasFlier! I was able to DL Adobe Flash Player from: Adobe Community: How do I manually install Flash Player on my Android device? . . .and it works great! ;)
Now if I can only find the thread---where the good forum member suggested that download---so I can thank him too! lol

Is this the 'Office Suite Pro 6' (free trial version)?

There's not one on my Notification drop-down toolbar. Maybe that's because I have an older 'Baseband' & 'Build' versions than you do, which doesn't seem very fair, since my GS3 just arrived via the mail last week. :( Btw...I can't try an update for another few hours, since AT&T makes you wait 24hrs from your last try.

The reviews look mostly positive, but some user's of JD are complaining about the latest update (i.e.-crashing, slow downs, and actually using MORE battery juice up?)---which seems somewhat par for the course---with just about ALL the android apps. :confused:

Thanks again. And yeah, you guy's did win 2 out of the last 3. I'll give ya that. ;) We've gone steadily down hill since putting up 56 and almost beating Baylor in the Alamo Bowl. I think Sarkisan's days are numbered, as they've been horrifically blown-out in their last six away games, and after his 3.5 years....have now digressed back down to being below mediocre, sadly :(

Btw, back on topic . . .and from this similar thread over on the reg Samsung Galaxy S3 forum: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...uy-holding-galaxy-s3-sale-again-tomorrow.html . . .
Radio Shack will 'match price' (on the same day), plus give you an additional $5. off coupon (making it $94.99), and they DON'T CHARGE a 'restocking fee' in case you decide to return it within 30 days (AT&T has dropped down to 14 days, as of 7 Oct.), but I think the Radio Shack 30 day return policy trumps the AT&T policy (if I understood the RS manager correctly).

I have "OfficeSuite Pro 6 + (PDF * HD)" and didn't pay anything for it - not sure if that was maybe some limited time deal or what?

The screen brightness slider DID appear on the notifications dropdown after my last update, so yes its probably the older baseband/build version you have. Wish I could help you get to the versions I have, but afraid I have no idea, mine happened via the "update" that's telling you that nothing is available.

Juice Defender - all I can say is, seems to work great for me - much better battery life after I installed it than what I had before. I also use GSAM Battery Monitor, which will breakdown battery use by individual app, so you can tell if there are battery hogs running.