Where is the cheapest place to buy an AT&T GS3?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I have "OfficeSuite Pro 6 + (PDF * HD)" and didn't pay anything for it - not sure if that was maybe some limited time deal or what?

The screen brightness slider DID appear on the notifications dropdown after my last update, so yes its probably the older baseband/build version you have. Wish I could help you get to the versions I have, but afraid I have no idea, mine happened via the "update" that's telling you that nothing is available.

Juice Defender - all I can say is, seems to work great for me - much better battery life after I installed it than what I had before. I also use GSAM Battery Monitor, which will breakdown battery use by individual app, so you can tell if there are battery hogs running.

Thanks again, DallasFlier. ;) I seem to be thanking you quite a lot these last couple days.
. . . (btw...what kind of a name is that? DallasFlier! . . . what are'ya doing? . . . always flying back & forth, back & forth to Dallas? . . . Or what!? :p

Yeah, AT&T is still saying that my software is up to date. Dang it. :-\

I suppose I'll try that Juice Defence Defender thing-a-ma-jig then. Since you and the vast majority of JD user's seem to be pleased with it and saying positive things.

P.S.-- With Amazon, Best Buy and Radio Shack, to name a few, all doing $99. sporadically, or in RS's case matching, how long before we start seeing $49. for the GS3? Thanksgiving Day weekend and black-whatever-day? Before Christmas? Even though I only paid $94.— I'm contemplating returning mine, since I won't be charged a restock fee—and re-purchasing when they're going for $49. :-$

Last edited:

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again, DallasFlier. ;) I seem to be thanking you quite a lot these last couple days.
. . . (btw...what kind of a name is that? DallasFlier! . . . what are'ya doing? . . . always flying back & forth, back & forth to Dallas? . . . Or what!? :p

Yeah, AT&T is still saying that my software is up to date. Dang it. :-\

I suppose I'll try that Juice Defence Defender thing-a-ma-jig then. Since you and the vast majority of JD user's seem to be pleased with it and saying positive things.

P.S.-- With Amazon, Best Buy and Radio Shack, to name a few, all doing $99. sporadically, or in RS's case matching, how long before we start seeing $49. for the GS3? Thanksgiving Day weekend and black-whatever-day? Before Christmas? Even though I only paid $94.— I'm contemplating returning mine, since I won't be charged a restock fee—and re-purchasing when they're going for $49. :-$

DallasFlier - a longtime handle I've used all over the net. I live in metro Dallas (for over 30 years) and am a private pilot who loves flying. So many years back, when needing to come up with a "handle", picked that one and have stuck with it.

I paid $199 for mine at release, but I'm also watching the prices as we approach the Thanksgiving weekend discount craze, will probably be getting one for my wife before the end of November. Mine's blue, will get her the red if I can get a good price. Too bad there aren't three of us in the household - red, white & blue would be quite patriotic! :)

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
FYI best buy is having another one day sale for $99..
Today october 26
Source: I work at best buy mobile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm holding out for another Amazon Wireless penny sale like they did last year. If it happens, it's just a matter of waiting a month. BRING IT ON!

hunterx82

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, if you buy the phone from Best Buy, Staples, Amazon or anything that isn't AT&T...will it require a data plan switch? The guys at AT&T told me that if I buy from them my grandfathered unlimited data plan won't change, but I did not ask about buying elsewhere. I don't really understand why it's cheaper from Amazon at $99 rather than directly from AT&T, is there some caveat I should know? I don't see an option to change colors, so the blue would be the only option though a case makes that irrelevant.

Do you guys think that the price of the phone (with contract, not unlocked) will be lower after Android has their event to announce new products? I know it will probably drop around Thanksgiving but I don't want to wait that long if I can get it for $100 now.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, if you buy the phone from Best Buy, Staples, Amazon or anything that isn't AT&T...will it require a data plan switch? The guys at AT&T told me that if I buy from them my grandfathered unlimited data plan won't change, but I did not ask about buying elsewhere. I don't really understand why it's cheaper from Amazon at $99 rather than directly from AT&T, is there some caveat I should know? I don't see an option to change colors, so the blue would be the only option though a case makes that irrelevant.
Not that we experienced. AT&T might have told you that in an attempt to persuade you to buy from them. We purchased a GS3 & Galaxy Note from Radio Shack—two weeks ago—and they 'grandfathered' our data plans (albeit they weren't unlimited plans) with no problem, as we were upgrading with new 2 yr. contracts.
I would suggest that you call whichever store you might be considering upgrading at, and ask them.

Do you guys think that the price of the phone (with contract, not unlocked) will be lower after Android has their event to announce new products? I know it will probably drop around Thanksgiving but I don't want to wait that long if I can get it for $100 now.
It should at least drop back down to $99., methinks, which is where it was on 14 Oct. @ Best Buy (matched by Radio Shack + an additional $5. off coupon—making it $94.) and then again on 26 Oct.—according to posts here on this forum. So if they stick to their (every two weeks) pattern...I would guess that the GS3 will be @ $99. again in less than two weeks from today.

And asforementioned, maybe less on black friday. Though I haven't heard any rumors of that.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I got my current Captivate at Radio Shack 2 years ago this Black Friday for free w/ waived activation and grandfathered my (alleged) unlimited data plan. Amazon has the G3 for $99 right now. I think with the $99 deals popping up now there will be a further reduction on Black Friday. We'll soon find out.

hunterx82

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I got my current Captivate at Radio Shack 2 years ago this Black Friday for free w/ waived activation and grandfathered my (alleged) unlimited data plan. Amazon has the G3 for $99 right now. I think with the $99 deals popping up now there will be a further reduction on Black Friday. We'll soon find out.

It is, but only the Blue Pearl color. I would buy a case anyway so color probably doesn't matter but choices are important to some people.

Does Best Buy match online retailers like Amazon now? I would much prefer to walk out the door with it tomorrow!

Kidrockerz

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Guys, do you know if the price is only applicable to those who have main contract or not? I am planning to have a new SG3 but as an addition to my wife phone.

Kidrockerz

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I kinda new on how the smartphone contract works. Is there a big difference of getting a phone, let say SG3, from BestBuy and the AT&T store aside from the price if the former is on sale?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Our local AT&T (Authorized Dealer) was charging the same as what they charge at the AT&T corporation stores. But we we're able to get the same phones for $100. less @ Radio Shack, due to RS matching the $99. (Best Buy - one day sale price). Moreover, Radio Shack gives out additional $5 off coupons.
My wife actually got her Galaxy Note for $82. — due to the RS manager taking an additional $68. off (from the GN's $149. price) — by taking a phone from the store's back room, that had recently been abandoned or something, and running it through my wife's GN purchase as a $68. trade-in phone! So that was pretty nice of them.

But no other big difference, contract wise. Any store that sells AT&T phones should be able to work the same new contract, or contract upgrade, as the AT&T stores. Including making sure that any plan that you've currently been on— gets 'grandfathered' over, if at all possible.

tomtomsf

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm just about to make the switch from an iPhone to a GS3. I was at the ATT store the other day and overheard a customer complaining to the ATT guy about her new GS3. She was having reception issues and some other problems. She wanted another phone. ATT told her, "Sorry, you didn't get it here so take it back to Best Buy". I guess that is the one drawback. If you buy through ATT, they stand behind it and will let you switch to another one if necessary. If you buy elsewhere, you're on your own. I doubt most people run into this situation. But, it is something to think about.

Tom G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance