GS III on Straight Talk

ballison78

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I have pretty much concluded that AT&T's OTA update servers are able to tell that I am not using one of their SIMs and therefore will not push updates to my phone. I connected my phone to Kies today and it did show one update (the one that kills off universal search) but not the one that gives you the brightness slider in the notification tray. Does anybody know if Kies is just slower to get the updates or are there some updates that I may never get via this method? I REALLY hope that I will be able to obtain the pending Jellybean update via Kies. Does anybody know if there is a way to trick AT&T into letting me download updates from the software update function on the phone? Something like changing my APN back or inserting my old deactivated AT&T SIM and checking using WIFI? I am still able to connect to AT&T WIFI hotspots which seems a little odd. Thanks!

Capthowdyy

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I am using an at&t sim on my S3 and cannot get the update. While alot of others around me ARE getting the update I cannot seem to get it. I'm not that concerned right now. But when the JB update is released and I can't get it, I'll be taking this into the at&t store for analysis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow that would be annoying!

Sadly I know nothing about how to get around this. Even on WiFi it doesnt work? If I was you I would look into a way to download it to the PC and add it that way....That might work.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't rec'd the update yet either, though based on some of the comments in the 'over the air update' thread, it appears it's not without its faults. Some people are saying it screws up texting completely and since mine is working fine, I'm hesitant to install it when it does finally arrive anyway. My $.02 :)

ballison78

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Maybe the have halted the update if people are having problems with it. I am wondering if even on wifi if they can tell you are not using an AT&T SIM. Just as long as I can get my JB update via Kies when it comes out, that is really all I care about.

AugustArborists

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I haven't rec'd the update yet either, though based on some of the comments in the 'over the air update' thread, it appears it's not without its faults. Some people are saying it screws up texting completely and since mine is working fine, I'm hesitant to install it when it does finally arrive anyway. My $.02 :)

I got the update last week, zero problems texting. Guess I got lucky.

Scythe55

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have any problems with the update nor did my wife. I wonder if they update all at once, or do it via region. The update notice showed up two days after people mentioned it here. My wife received the update hours before I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Vinte419

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung GS III on Straight Talk, bought it straight from AT&T, never had an AT&T sim card in it just my Straight Talk sim. and I got the update the day it came out on OTA. I had problems with my internet after that but I called Straight Talk and they had to reset the setting for the connection on their end and everything has been smooth as butter since.

I know that really isn't any help, but just showing that AT&T doesn't seem to discern between a Straight Talk sim and an AT&T one. Only thing I could think of is that maybe your phone is unlocked? and running on a Straight Talk T-mobile sim?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have pretty much concluded that AT&T's OTA update servers are able to tell that I am not using one of their SIMs and therefore will not push updates to my phone. I connected my phone to Kies today and it did show one update (the one that kills off universal search) but not the one that gives you the brightness slider in the notification tray. Does anybody know if Kies is just slower to get the updates or are there some updates that I may never get via this method? I REALLY hope that I will be able to obtain the pending Jellybean update via Kies. Does anybody know if there is a way to trick AT&T into letting me download updates from the software update function on the phone? Something like changing my APN back or inserting my old deactivated AT&T SIM and checking using WIFI? I am still able to connect to AT&T WIFI hotspots which seems a little odd. Thanks!

AT&T will know you arent using their SIM because once you put the SIM into the phone, it automatically registers the IMEI# (and probably other info) into their system...they will find out and I doubt you will get OTA updates...the only way it so update your phone via Kies or by flashing the rom

Patricia Rebonato

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I bought for full price, a galaxy s3 unlock from AT&T, at Walmart to use with straight talk service, which is great! It's running with straight talk micro SIM card. But when I try to setup my hotspot, it show a AT&T message to pay for the service. Even apps for hotspot doesn't work. What I do need to do, to fix this ? Please any help?Please

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy