Galaxy SII or SIII?

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm running stock ICS on my AT&T SII. Here lately its become buggy lots of apps closing or not opening I've reset and redone software, applications everything. Question is is the SIII MORE STABLE AND LESS BUGGY?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have had an S3 for 4 months or so now. (Sense release day.) and I have had no issues. Both updates also ran great! If you need a phone the S3 is not a bad choice IMO.

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
LTE isn't really a big deal for me because the area I live in doesn't have LTE.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm running stock ICS on my AT&T SII. Here lately its become buggy lots of apps closing or not opening I've reset and redone software, applications everything. Question is is the SIII MORE STABLE AND LESS BUGGY?

I have my gs3 for about a week now and its really fast and responsive 99% of the time but lately i noticed that my gmail app sometimes freezes when i try to open an email. and i have to kill it from the task manager to reactivate again. Also another thing is google voice app takes a bit long to come up when i tap on it and if i'm exchanging text messages, it freezes for about 2-3 seconds when the person replies.
Other than that its pretty fluid. Oh and im running it completely stock (no root etc)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
LTE may not big a big deal at this point for you but I would consider a newer device that will get much longer support than your current SGSII will. SGSIII will get JB and as long as the next Android OS update (KLP Key Lime Pie) gets dropped in the next 12 months I would assume the SGS III will get updated to that also where as SGSII will be lucky to see JB and I think that will be the end of the road for it.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I have had both the GS2 and the GS3 and really love the GS3 it has been a great phone. I recently picked up a iphone 5 and have since sold it for the GS3. I like the bigger screen and feature set of this phone better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Angelsnecropolis

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I came from the GS2 to my GS3 over the last month. I'm happy with my move but it also may depend on what you think is important. IMO, The biggest features would be a slightly larger screen, 4G/LTE, zero slow downs (GS2 has 1GB RAM, GS3 has 2GB), and continued support since it's the latest.

I don't know about it being buggy because I rooted both phones and am running Jellybean now. Although the GS2 is also slated to be upgraded to JB as well as GS3. I've had over 100 apps installed on both phones but didn't experience a lot of app freezing or errors. At least not any that would cause me frustration. Although, I would have to reboot my GS2 often because of low memory and becoming sluggish. I don't have that issue on my GS3. I'm a bit miffed at the buttons on my GS3 though. You lose a dedicated Search key and the home key is a physical button. I like using Voice Search but can no longer activate via long press Search. I also don't like having to apply so much pressure to depress the home key compared to an easy and light tap on the GS2. I feel like my phone might slip out of my hands.

Also... if you get the GS3 DO NOT drop it. Buy a case. In a drop test video the GS2 passed extremely well but in the GS3 drop test the screen was severely damaged. Gorilla glass isn't so great with shocks from sudden impacts. If the aforementioned reasons to switch are not that big of a deal to you then stick with the GS2. I'm happy with the switch but I wouldn't say that it was a HUGE difference for me.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I used to think a bigger screen was pointless until I got the S3...and my goodness I don't want to go any smaller than this!..its PERFECT!

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about it being buggy because I rooted both phones and am running Jellybean now. Although the GS2 is also slated to be upgraded to JB as well as GS3.
What JB rom are you currently running on your GS3? Is it good? no problems? Would very appreciate your reply.
Thank you.

Angelsnecropolis

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
What JB rom are you currently running on your GS3? Is it good? no problems? Would very appreciate your reply.
Thank you.

I'm running the CM10 JB rom [ROM][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10 Nightly Builds for SGH-I747 - xda-developers
AOKP is what I was using on my GS2 but it doesn't have all the features that I want yet. The JB roms for GS3 are getting their features updated regularly so I'll probably flash AOKP again soon to see if it has the features I liked from the GS2. But CM10 has been very smooth. Minor bugs since JB is so fresh but they aren't a real inconvenience at all.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm running the CM10 JB rom [ROM][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10 Nightly Builds for SGH-I747 - xda-developers
AOKP is what I was using on my GS2 but it doesn't have all the features that I want yet. The JB roms for GS3 are getting their features updated regularly so I'll probably flash AOKP again soon to see if it has the features I liked from the GS2. But CM10 has been very smooth. Minor bugs since JB is so fresh but they aren't a real inconvenience at all.

Thanks very much that's what i actually was thinking to do too, i think I will give the CM10 a try. How is the battery life on that rom btw? And any bugs with GPS?

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I bought the III today and after using it for 4 hrs today it. is going back tomorrow. go into the internet and the light dims so low you cannot even read it.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I bought the III today and after using it for 4 hrs today it. is going back tomorrow. go into the internet and the light dims so low you cannot even read it.

Have you tried turning the auto brightness off?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Angelsnecropolis

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks very much that's what i actually was thinking to do too, i think I will give the CM10 a try. How is the battery life on that rom btw? And any bugs with GPS?

I average about 19 hours but I'm not using it as heavily as I used to. I also have BT, GPS, WiFi, NEC, and Data all turned off almost all the time though. No live WP or tons or widgets. I use the Tasker app (not free) to turn my data on ever 10 min for 1 min to check emails etc and then it turns data off. I suspect if I texted more heavily or watched more videos it would be 10-15 hrs.

- - - Updated - - -
Seriously turn auto brightness off its doing that. Also try a different Browser like Dolphin or Firefox. I use Dolphin and don't have this problem. So maybe it's just with the stock browser? That's a simple fix and no reason to return a great phone without even looking into the problem first.

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I will try a different browser, that's a good idea as its only dim in the browser

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I switched to dolphin and that fixed the dimness. thanks for the suggestion. I really was taking it back as that issue was so bad