If this is what LTE is all about, I want nothing to do with it....

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I live in a rural area where there is not only no LTE but there will likely not be anytime in the next several years. This weekend, I traveled to a Dallas suburb and spent about 6 hours in a gymnasium watching basketball games. Had moderate LTE signal in the gym and this is what it did to my battery that was fully charged when I got out of the car (wifi, gps, and blue tooth all off) in the parking lot:

uploadfromtaptalk1349641710314.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1349641252141.jpg

Is this normal on LTE? I normally have about 40% left on my battery after 18 hours use. I'll take HSPA+ data speeds with all day battery life any day over loosing 80% of my battery in less than 6 hours.

DevSteven

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
This is normal for LTE. Until LTE matures we will have the same problem. The same thing happened when 3g was rolling out.

Sent from my Nexus S using Android Central Forums

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
This is not normal for LTE, how many hours was your screen on? This current gen of LTE phones should last 12-13 hours. If I'm in a strong LTE area, I can last a whole day with it. Hspa+ speeds are only going to be around 5-6 megs down on average. LTE speeds ranges from 7 megs down in a weak area to 50+ megs down in a strong area. I'm on Verizon but I average 20-30 megs down at my home, and 15-20 down everywhere else.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I live in a rural area where there is not only no LTE but there will likely not be anytime in the next several years. This weekend, I traveled to a Dallas suburb and spent about 6 hours in a gymnasium watching basketball games. Had moderate LTE signal in the gym and this is what it did to my battery that was fully charged when I got out of the car (wifi, gps, and blue tooth all off) in the parking lot:

View attachment 40209
View attachment 40207

Is this normal on LTE? I normally have about 40% left on my battery after 18 hours use. I'll take HSPA+ data speeds with all day battery life any day over loosing 80% of my battery in less than 6 hours.

40% after 18 hours?

Yeah you definitely are an extremely light user!

I can't even get 18 hours without LTE with light usage

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
18 hours is the above normal for any usage especially on a stock device. A rooted device running custom kernels and setup for better battery performance this is a very achievable battery life for many.

LTE can drain your battery quickly if your in a weak signal area where the device is working triple time to maintain a signal. Plus it all depends on what your doing while running LTE.

LTE is still in a somewhat infancy stage when it comes to battery life, that is the next major step LTE chip makers need to overcome is the battery life but it also comes down to the carrier providing a good saturated signal so the device isn't working so hard to maintain. The more the device has to jump from 3g to LTE back and forth because of weak signal its hitting you battery hard from the switching of the radios back and forth.

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
When I am at home or work, I am always within about 25 feet of a good wireless router. I leave wifi connected the entire time, so there is no data throughput on the cellular network. That is probably how I am getting through 18 hours with 40% remaining on my battery, even with light to moderate use. Right now, it sits at 13 hours of use and 65% battery remaining after a moderate use day.

As for my voyage into the land of LTE...this was the first time I have spent any time to speak of in a LTE service area. I had the phone on the car charger for several hours during the drive there with bluetooth connected and GPS on and Google Navigation running. When I got out of the car, I turned GPS and BT off and cleared my recent apps. One thing I do remember while I was there was that the back of the phone got warm. Not hot, but warm through the Otterbox Commuter case.

For what it's worth, my wife's HTC Vivid only lost about 25% of it's battery during the same time frame...but she didn't use the phone much at all while we were there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma