Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm kind of new here, still doing some research before I do anything. I've got an upgrade coming up in about 6 months. I am currently using an AT&T RIM Blackberry 9810. I like it, but my needs/wants are beginning to evolve past what it can do, and likely beyond what the new BB10 will be able to do too. So, I'm starting to look at Androids. I have looked around and I think I really like the Galaxy S3, I've tried the one my co-worker just got, and it's really nice. I also have the unlimited data plan, grandfathered in from AT&T, and I really don't want to lose it. If I decided to move away from the Blackberry plan, would I be forced into one of the other tiered plans? That could be a make or break thing for me, so I just wanted to know what to expect. Thanks!

capT

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
No you won't be forced to a tiered plan. My suggestion however, is that once you decide on an Android device, NEGOTIATE directly with ATT customer service (NOT upgrade sales). This way your current unlimited data plan gets grandfathered to your new contract the day you order your device. When using third party sellers like Amazon or Best Buy, you'll have to request the grandfathered plan and it may not click in for a couple of months. Also AT&T customer service WILL negotiate a good deal on the device if you're a long time ATT customer in good standing. I got my GS3 for $50, no upgrade activation fee and the CA sales tax was credited to my service account. Some others here in the forum got theirs for FREE, though I wouldn't count on that.. The ATT stores will NOT negotiate anything with you and if you return a device they will charge you $35 restocking fee. Buying it from ATT on the phone is far better and there are no restocking fees either. Cheers!

GlennTX

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from an AT&T Unlimited plan on my BB 9800. No problems at all it switched right over. As for the S3, just switch when you can. You won't regret it.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If you go through upgrading on the web site, you can see what options will be set before you actually pull the trigger. You will see the Unlimited Date with LTE replace your current unlimited data plan.

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Phew! That's good news. I know it's a bit more to pay for the unlimited, I just don't want to have to worry about if I'm using too much data or not. Now, just the waiting game... Can I stand to wait another 6 months? I don't know... Thanks for the information!

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Be aware though, unlimited in AT&T terms really means they will throttle you after 5 GB. It can happen easily on a phone like this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

mike568

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Also AT&T could change their grandfathered unlimited data policy to same as Verizon. Verizon makes you loose unlimited data if you upgrade to a new phone on contract or to keep unlimited data pay the full price.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Also AT&T could change their grandfathered unlimited data policy to same as Verizon. Verizon makes you loose unlimited data if you upgrade to a new phone on contract or to keep unlimited data pay the full price.

I doubt it. AT&T may have its issues, but the executives are not douchebags the way the Verizon people are.

RVdave

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Earlier today I ordered 2 Galaxy S3 phones from Best Buy's online store and chose the AT&T "Keep existing plan" option, to keep my unlimited data plan. Within 5 minutes I received 2 emails asking me to call them, because there was a problem with my orders. The lady explained that I couldn't transfer an unlimited data plan from an iPhone to a Galaxy, so I'd have to select a tiered plan. Rather than debate the logic of this restriction with BB, and since I don't use a lot of cellular data, I selected one and the orders were processed. I immediately called AT&T and explained this didn't make sense. They agreed and changed the accounts back to unlimited. They also read me what they documented in my account records, in case there are any further problems. I just received another email from BB saying my order had been shipped. Kudos to AT&T! Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't think they will. Att just throttles after 3GB if you have unlimited data. That's why I left.. Speeds went to crap :x.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they will. Att just throttles after 3GB if you have unlimited data. That's why I left.. Speeds went to crap :x.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

AT&T throttles 4g gaps/3g phones after 3gb. On 4glte/4g phones they do 5gb.

My one x is better then your one x!!
/
D:
\

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have since spoken with AT&T about this, and they said that I would indeed be able to keep my unlimited plan. They warned against using other places like kiosks at the mall, or Best Buy or Sam's Club etc, simply because they may not be equipped to allow me to keep the data plan, and it may be a crap shoot if I try and go back to it afterwards, they may or may not be able to allow me to do it, depends on who I talk to etc. So as long as I do it through the AT&T store locally, it shouldn't be a problem.

capT

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm kind of new here, still doing some research before I do anything. I've got an upgrade coming up in about 6 months. I am currently using an AT&T RIM Blackberry 9810. I like it, but my needs/wants are beginning to evolve past what it can do, and likely beyond what the new BB10 will be able to do too. So, I'm starting to look at Androids. I have looked around and I think I really like the Galaxy S3, I've tried the one my co-worker just got, and it's really nice. I also have the unlimited data plan, grandfathered in from AT&T, and I really don't want to lose it. If I decided to move away from the Blackberry plan, would I be forced into one of the other tiered plans? That could be a make or break thing for me, so I just wanted to know what to expect. Thanks!

capT

I made the transition from the BB 9810 to the GS3 on a grandfathered unlimited data plan and have never regretted it. Your data plan will longer be a RIM plan but you will still have unlimited data. You will need a Gmail account to use android devices.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Last edited:

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased my S3 on Black Friday from the kiosk at my local Costco store and my unlimited data plan was grandfathered (I called AT&T to verify it). My previous phone, a Captivate I got for free from my local Radio Shack on Black Friday 2010 didn't originally have the unlimited data plan grandfathered but a call to AT&T quickly resolved the problem. With the S3 I also got the $36 activation fee waived on the same phone call. AT&T allows upgrades 15 months into the 2 year contract of an upgraded phone.

As others have mentioned if you're a heavy data user the "unlimited" plan is throttled making it all but useless. Fortunately I'm not a heavy data user but may need to use tethering for my laptop and if I do the "unlimited" data plan is history forever. (And no, I'm not going to root the phone and get tethering for free while keeping the "unlimited" data plan......but............maybe I should if I need tethering.....lol)

Dubg

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I called them and asked to waive the fee for the two phones I upgraded on Black Friday. The customer service rep said sure no problem. Five minutes later I had a credit for the two fees. It couldn't have been any easier. I need to call them and ask them to waive the fee for my Nexus 7 3G.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

RVdave

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I called them and asked to waive the fee for the two phones I upgraded on Black Friday. The customer service rep said sure no problem. Five minutes later I had a credit for the two fees. It couldn't have been any easier.

Thanks for your response, it's appreciated. I'll be activating the 2 phones on Xmas morning, which I understand is an automated procedure, so I'll call them shortly afterward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37