Anyone got Jelly Bean yet? Its supposedly going to be released this week on AT&T

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
If someone really wants Jelly Bean, then hear over to XDA and get it. Some may say that those ROMS aren't official or there are always bugs with them. To that, I counter, "Have you seen the AT&T updates? " IMO, the nightly updates from AOKP and CM10 developers are light years ahead of AT&T and Verizon. I get a new update every night and most of the time with new features. It is like Christmas every single day. Screw the carriers!
That's interesting, Covart. I was wondering what those 'Nightly's' over on XDA meant. At first I thought they meant just what you've explained they mean. Then, I thought no . . who's gonna update their phone 'nightly'?! LOL I even told my wife, no, I think 'Nightly's' is just some developers' name for their ROM software. LOL :-[

What are you more partial to, Covart? AOKP or CyanogenMod?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Okay, that's it !!! . . . That does it !!! . . you just mentioned JB again! :eek: Now, where's the closest bridge coz I'm fixin' to go and take a runnin' leap from it! LOL ;)
Well, I suppose you do have somewhat of a point, smoothy. ;) Okay, okay, I guess I did get a little carried-away there, especially with all my rolling eyes. :D They're almost sore from all that rolling back & forth. :D And, fyi, I really didn't mean to type that much! LOL

Seriously though, smoothy, what are the big 'new features' w/ JB? that seem to have gotten so many S3 user's panties all up in a tizzy over, with such a daily anxious anticipation over? :confused:

As I mentioned above, I've yet to see a JB screenshot that looks as good or better than the ICS TW. I know one thiing, I sure don't want a bunch of floating jelly beans all over my home pages. :rolleyes: And, I think I heard read (somewhere on AC) that the notification drop-down has changed? That's not something that I want; I just updated to [~LH9] a few weeks ago, and thus am very satisfied with the addition of the screen brightness slider, previously missing from [~LG1], and satisfied with the notification drop-down just the way it is.

Now, if there's supposed to be better battery performance, or bluetooth performance, or cell radio performance, or maybe a choice of more than two measly keyboards (my GSII Skyrocket had four keyboards, including Swype); the replacement of a quick little application monitor widget, and maybe an LTE toggle, etc.-etc. . . than those would be a few 'new features' that I might get behind w/ looking forward to. ;)

LOL!
Well as for me, I want Google Now, and also check out the Multi-Window feature...its awesome!

Mac.World

ΣΛΤ ΜΣ
May 3, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting, Covart. I was wondering what those 'Nightly's' over on XDA meant. At first I thought they meant just what you've explained they mean. Then, I thought no . . who's gonna update their phone 'nightly'?! LOL I even told my wife, no, I think 'Nightly's' is just some developers' name for their ROM software. LOL :-[

What are you more partial to, Covart? AOKP or CyanogenMod?
I like both AOKP (the JB 4.1.2 rom by Task and KToonz ) and CM10, about equally. There are just a couple of features that AOKP has that make me stick with it for now. One is being able to program and customize your own led notifications for every app on your phone (if you wanted that many!) and the other is creating your own customizable virtual buttons to replace the home, menu, and back buttons. I have owned too many iphones and watched the home button get to the point of uselessness after 2 years. I prefer not to use it.

And I like the easiness of changing out boot animations, the ability to change your battery and signal icons in the status bar and of course Google Now and all the other Jelly Bean goodness. I also liie that aokp has an ota button built into the settings, so it is easy to download the nightly updates. The file saves to my ext sd card, where I keep the latest GAPPS update, so after the rom ota update is downloading, i boot into recovery wipe cache and dalvik, load the rom update, load the gapps and reboot. Boom. New rom. Only issue is having to go into titanium backup to reload some app and saved game data cache.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I like both AOKP (the JB 4.1.2 rom by Task and KToonz ) and CM10, about equally. There are just a couple of features that AOKP has that make me stick with it for now. One is being able to program and customize your own led notifications for every app on your phone (if you wanted that many!) and the other is creating your own customizable virtual buttons to replace the home, menu, and back buttons. I have owned too many iphones and watched the home button get to the point of uselessness after 2 years. I prefer not to use it.

And I like the easiness of changing out boot animations, the ability to change your battery and signal icons in the status bar and of course Google Now and all the other Jelly Bean goodness. I also liie that aokp has an ota button built into the settings, so it is easy to download the nightly updates. The file saves to my ext sd card, where I keep the latest GAPPS update, so after the rom ota update is downloading, i boot into recovery wipe cache and dalvik, load the rom update, load the gapps and reboot. Boom. New rom. Only issue is having to go into titanium backup to reload some app and saved game data cache.
Wow! That's pretty cool. Covart. :cool: Thanks for that info.

That does it! Next week, I'm gonna be a rootin' tootin' cowboy from down yonder Sante Fe way! ;) . . . (or however that ol' cowboy jingle goes).

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
What I I don't understand is, WHY DOES ANYONE CARE ??? :confused: :major rolleyes:

What's the big deal? Why the big anxious, panting fever to upgrade your phones OS? :confused: . . . As if life itself depended on it. :rolleyes: As if life itself depended on when you get the JB update? :rolleyes:

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't live my life through my phone tracker. :rolleyes: I don't walk through life, everyday, with my phone tracker practically glued to my hand, like so many of this planets sheeple-humans-huphones do nowadays. :rolleyes: Never have. Never will.
Moreover, after using a GS3 and reading bits & pieces on this AC forum for the last month . . . I've yet to see a single screenshot of JB that looks nicer or more appealing visually, than ICS 4.0 TW ! In fact, every single screenshot of JB that I've seen? looks less visually appealing, and less interesting. :rolleyes, again:
So I for one don't plan on updating to JB, and will wait and see what (Key Lime Pie?) looks like, a little further on down the road.

And I repeat, what's the big deal ??? :confused: Are there some great techno advances with JB that have rendered it to be so worthy of being so coveted; so anticipated; so indispensable, therefore causing so many sheeple to be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nervously & anxiously needful of it . . . . that perhaps I haven't heard about??? :rolleyes, again, and again:

Kinda reminds of that ol' JD (John Denver) song Blow Up Your TV's. :p More and more sheeple-humans-huphones need to set their phones trackers down, and take a look around. :rolleyes: There's lots and lots of life out there everyday, choke-full of incredibly far-out & beautiful natural wonders. If you don't stop and set your phones trackers down once in a while . . . you might just miss it.
If you didn't want better functionality through updates on your smartphone, you should have just got a Blackberry! Some of us actually want our phones to perform better. JellyBean actually adds speeds enhancements to the device which allow it to run smoother, sorry if you can't figure out why that's important.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Well it looks like the update is out .....for Tmobile users :( As usual AT&T fails and doesn't deliver Jack.

AT&T HAS to be close behind. The update has been out for a good while now, there's no reason why they should be holding on to this update any longer than need be.

bobbyp5

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling that we will be getting it within this week or next. At&t always loves to just release something without giving advanced notice. I hope that it comes out by the end of this week or next and not December.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
If you didn't want better functionality through updates on your smartphone, you should have just got a Blackberry! Some of us actually want our phones to perform better. JellyBean actually adds speeds enhancements to the device which allow it to run smoother, sorry if you can't figure out why that's important.

Per your signature, you may well be "an Apple geek who is now an Android convert" but its obvious you don't know jack about BlackBerry's. ;) There are many reasons to move from BlackBerry to Android these days, I've done it myself after many years of using a BlackBerry. But its actually easier to update/upgrade to a new OS version on the BlackBerry before the carrier releases it than it is on Android. The new releases almost always "leak" when they've been released to the carriers, and you can download and install the "leaked" OS without rooting or anything similar being necessary. Just download, install and you're done.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Per your signature, you may well be "an Apple geek who is now an Android convert" but its obvious you don't know jack about BlackBerry's. ;) There are many reasons to move from BlackBerry to Android these days, I've done it myself after many years of using a BlackBerry. But its actually easier to update/upgrade to a new OS version on the BlackBerry before the carrier releases it than it is on Android. The new releases almost always "leak" when they've been released to the carriers, and you can download and install the "leaked" OS without rooting or anything similar being necessary. Just download, install and you're done.

I was mainly getting at the lack of functionality on most BlackBerry devices compared to Android. I'm sure RIM has a uniform upgrade model like Apple unlike most android OEMS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I believe that Google Now more or less replaces S Voice in most functionality.

I will say that with the last stock OTA, S Voice has gotten better. I use it to open apps and make calls when driving to remain hands free. It's also ok with dictating/sending simple text messages.

I do wonder what we will lose as the OS is updated. Reading the international forums, they seem to have lost drive mode. That would upset me. I use drive mode all the time to read aloud text messages that are received.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I believe that Google Now more or less replaces S Voice in most functionality.

I will say that with the last stock OTA, S Voice has gotten better. I use it to open apps and make calls when driving to remain hands free. It's also ok with dictating/sending simple text messages.

I do wonder what we will lose as the OS is updated. Reading the international forums, they seem to have lost drive mode. That would upset me. I use drive mode all the time to read aloud text messages that are received.

FWIW, I installed Vlingo, which can be configured to replace S-Talk for all the voice functions, and for me it works with much better accuracy than I was seeing with S-Voice.