Anyone got Jelly Bean yet? Its supposedly going to be released this week on AT&T

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
It should be common sense why we all want the Jelly Bean update. Not only was it promised to us, it actually adds some great functionality to the phone. AT&T needs to quit dragging their feet, and push out the update.

Morjesta

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll love to see my S3, running on JB. My wife has a G-Nex which is already running on 4.2
Im soo jealous.

I want Google Now, now.

rnauth1418

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know of a way to voice this sentiment publicly? Is highly irresponsible for att to allow users to run out dated and buggy software when there are fixes ready to be released.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
It should be common sense why we all want the Jelly Bean update. Not only was it promised to us, it actually adds some great functionality to the phone. AT&T needs to quit dragging their feet, and push out the update.

Amen brother.

Hopefully they push it out soon. Had a 4.1 ROM for a few days (buggy as hell) and Google Now was absolutely amazing.

Staying optimistic here but... even better if they're delaying because the multi-window update of JB was given to them by Samsung and that's what they're working with now. But then again, it is AT&T we're dealing with here. :-\

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Amen brother.

Hopefully they push it out soon. Had a 4.1 ROM for a few days (buggy as hell) and Google Now was absolutely amazing.

Staying optimistic here but... even better if they're delaying because the multi-window update of JB was given to them by Samsung and that's what they're working with now. But then again, it is AT&T we're dealing with here. :-\
IMO, Multi View is irrelevant in light of Project Butter, and Google Now. It will be nice to have Multi View, but no reason why they can't push out Jelly Bean now, and MV when it's ready.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know of a way to voice this sentiment publicly? Is highly irresponsible for att to allow users to run out dated and buggy software when there are fixes ready to be released.

Haha! Yeah, because newly-released JB will be much less buggy than ICS that's been out for some time now... (NOT!) :)

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Haha! Yeah, because newly-released JB will be much less buggy than ICS that's been out for some time now... (NOT!) :)

It should be, as long as it's taking. Sprint released theirs and it has a bunch of bugs. That was almost a month ago. T mobile just released theirs. I'm with US cellular, and while I'm pissed that it's taking so long, it's probably best. They are finding out what bugs there are from other people that have it and are working to fix it. This is the longest I've known an update to take after being announced.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Load CM10 and enjoy JB while waiting.
I've been running cm10 and happy with it. Just updated to the 20121119 nightly build and noticed WiFi is much stronger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Obviously you didn?t read my post correctly. All I was saying is that Jellybean 4.1.2 is already out and functioning just fine. Nowhere in my post did I attack anyone or used words like "entitled, spoiled" etc. Yes I understand some people are rooted and have tried JB and didn?t like it. In my opinion you buy the phone as is carriers aren?t required to send out updates and any update you get is a privilege. I could be wrong. If I am then please correct me. No you shouldn?t have to pay for the service if you give your phone to someone else. I?m sure a soldier overseas wouldn't mind having a $600 none updated smart phone to call home to his family. I guess the idea doesn?t sound as stupid as you try to make it sound. It might actually be a "brilliant" idea. Lastly, I do like what?s being discussed in this forum and I?m entitled to my opinion without a horrible attempt by you to insult others. If you don?t like it you should practice what you preach and troll on to another thread because now sir, you do look like an "ass".:p
Well being a soldier overseas (home for now) you don't really have time to talk on a smartphone, depending on your job and overseas pay is double sometimes triple your base. A phone is peanuts cost-wise but you are provided opportunity free of charge to call home on Uncle Sam's dime so that's just bs and nowhere near "brilliant". Don't turn this into a "Be nice to the Troops" scenario when you never said that to begin with. Don't feign patriotism to make it "look good", that's tacky as hell. Yes you are wrong about updates and that post wasn't directed solely at you (if you would've read it before getting butthurt I said you weren't outright namecalling and I wasn't talking about you entirely). When they advertise one of the OS's features as getting updates frequently through the carrier and use it as a selling point OF ANDROID how the hell is that a privilege? No what happened was you jumped in like so many others around here and just told people to root their phone if they don't like, you were tired of hearing about not getting updates, ect.. It's a privilige? My first post was correct even though I gave you a little leeway hoping I could be wrong. I wasn't and now you look like an even bigger one. Ya blew it.:-\

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Att not updating their phones to the latest software is highly irresponsible and demeaning to their customers

Putting out an update that's not ready would be more irresponsible. There is a finite number of resources and they have several phones to update from a number of manufacturers. They'll get to it.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Putting out an update that's not ready would be more irresponsible. There is a finite number of resources and they have several phones to update from a number of manufacturers. They'll get to it.

Ok but why does it have to take 3 months for AT&T? Unless they are getting 4.1.2 to release to us, then it shouldn't have to take this long

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The problem is not so much that we are forced to wait, but is more about AT&T not communicating with customers about WHY it is delayed. AT&T could EASILY have pointed to the bugs in the international S3 JB update and said that until those bugs are fixed, AT&T won't release the update. That to me would be fair, and with even an update every three weeks indicating what is going on, such as "ok, we got the new build in from Samsung, and testing on this build has begun", with an update a week or two later to say how the testing was going would actually please customers and show that AT&T isn't just sitting back and making us wait for no good reasons.

The Internet itself has made it so we all get information VERY quickly, and being kept in the dark makes the most sophisticated users annoyed. If AT&T is a COMMUNICATION company, then it should be telling us what is going on.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
The problem is not so much that we are forced to wait, but is more about AT&T not communicating with customers about WHY it is delayed. AT&T could EASILY have pointed to the bugs in the international S3 JB update and said that until those bugs are fixed, AT&T won't release the update. That to me would be fair, and with even an update every three weeks indicating what is going on, such as "ok, we got the new build in from Samsung, and testing on this build has begun", with an update a week or two later to say how the testing was going would actually please customers and show that AT&T isn't just sitting back and making us wait for no good reasons.

The Internet itself has made it so we all get information VERY quickly, and being kept in the dark makes the most sophisticated users annoyed. If AT&T is a COMMUNICATION company, then it should be telling us what is going on.

First of all, AT&T is not a communication company. It sells us products that allow US to communicate, but AT&T itself is not in the business of communicating anything other than ads and press releases.

None of the carriers tell us when to expect updates, except in general terms.

So Sprint and T-Mobile got their updates out faster. Could that be because they only have about one third of the models that AT&T and Verizon have...meaning they have fewer phones to push updates for?

Maybe we're getting 4.1.2. Maybe they're trying to solve the battery plummet issue. Maybe they have a ton of employees taking vacation to be with their families. Maybe the person in charge of this update is dealing with an illness or family crisis.

And I think it's pretty obvious why they don't let us know when to expect updates. They likely don't know how long it will take. And if they announce a date and then encounter a problem that pushes the release a couple weeks, then they have a bunch of impatient loudmouths screaming their heads off, saying "you promised it would be out two weeks ago...you suck." At that point, they have to announce reasons for the delay, which costs money and still won't quiet the masses. It's better for them to just keep their mouths shut and go about their business.

Businesses like AT&T can't afford to release a bad update. Bad press. Returned phones. Call centers blowing up with calls. A bad update would cost the company millions. To avoid those unnecessary expenses, they have quality processes in place: procedures, checklists, integration & testing. They have a cycle of testing, debugging, fixing, deploying, and testing again. Every glitch they find starts the cycle over again. It takes a LOT of time to do this.

And once you realize that AT&T has probably two to three times the number of phones to update that Sprint or T-Mobile do, it's not surprising that we're still waiting.

If you think it's so easy to develop and push a working update, I invite you to download the Android code from Google and create your own ROM. All the tools are there for you.

Sent from my Pebble Blue SGS III.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Another thing to remember is that the carriers don't make any money from these updates. They make money selling the phones.

They owe us working phones. They don't owe us timely updates.

If they're not going to make money with an update, why on earth would they throw expensive resources (i.e., developers) at the update process? They probably only have a small team working on it. One tough problem could throw off the whole schedule.

And if that happens, they're more likely to just delay the release rather than throw another expensive person at it. Why spend the money for a zero return on that investment?

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to remember is that the carriers don't make any money from these updates. They make money selling the phones.

If they're not going to make money with an update, why on earth would they throw expensive resources (i.e., developers) at the update process? They probably only have a small team working on it. One tough problem could throw off the whole schedule.

And if that happens, they're more likely to just delay the release rather than throw another expensive person at it. Why spend the money for a zero return on that investment?

Customer loyalty, that's where they make their money. Not the phones but you're monthly bill and then when you renew your contract. They make pennies off of actual phone sales.

Sent from my Red GS3

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
AT&T does not make the updates, so with that said, if all except three carriers around the world have released an update, then it hurts their customer loyalty by not releasing, or at least talking about the update in real terms, and keeping the customers INFORMED. Sprint and T-mobile really do end up looking better at this point for releasing the update that has been released around the world at this point.

So, if there is a QA issue, then it would only serve to help AT&T customer loyalty to tell customers why the update has not been out. I am NOT saying they should just release an update if the quality is not there, but rather, to keep customers informed about the REAL status of the update. That should not be seen as doing anything too difficult or costly, even if it means customer service reps having the information. AT&T is not throwing developers at the problem, they are just sitting on the update with no word to customers about why they are doing it.

Tatonks1013

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
AT&T does not make the updates, so with that said, if all except three carriers around the world have released an update, then it hurts their customer loyalty by not releasing, or at least talking about the update in real terms, and keeping the customers INFORMED. Sprint and T-mobile really do end up looking better at this point for releasing the update that has been released around the world at this point.

So, if there is a QA issue, then it would only serve to help AT&T customer loyalty to tell customers why the update has not been out. I am NOT saying they should just release an update if the quality is not there, but rather, to keep customers informed about the REAL status of the update. That should not be seen as doing anything too difficult or costly, even if it means customer service reps having the information. AT&T is not throwing developers at the problem, they are just sitting on the update with no word to customers about why they are doing it.

Agreed, if at&t would have sent notice by communicating to it's customers about the update then people wouldn't be as up in arms as they are now. And I am one of those people. I can't take at&t side on this one. They have had the software for awhile and Tmobile and Sprint came out with the update already. If at&t would have provided information instead of talking about how they just added 4g lte service in another remote location I would have been ok with waiting but now I can't wait to get out of my contract and go to another carrier or even buy a nexus phone.

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, if at&t would have sent notice by communicating to it's customers about the update then people wouldn't be as up in arms as they are now. And I am one of those people. I can't take at&t side on this one. They have had the software for awhile and Tmobile and Sprint came out with the update already. If at&t would have provided information instead of talking about how they just added 4g lte service in another remote location I would have been ok with waiting but now I can't wait to get out of my contract and go to another carrier or even buy a nexus phone.

Same with US cellular, but I think that those 2 updates were kind of a Guinea pig type thing. I'm reading a bunch of things on problems with the updates on sprint, people not getting 3g, can't update apps, apps crashing. I would rather have an update That works n not have to deal with the BS. Cuz I sure don't know how to fix it. I don't root my phones so I can't flash custom builds to fix issues. I am getting sick of waiting but There's not a whole hell of a lot we can do about it. The companies won't ever change n suddenly decide to start keeping us up to date. They're not smart enough to figure out That's how u keep customers, is by keeping them happy. Which is why so many people are leaving companies n going to prepaid. Same features, same coverage, half the price. That's what we're gonna do when our contract is up.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_

Chevyracing252

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
What really amazes me is that while I have the Galaxy S2, Samsung published an updated user manual for the US Cellular Galaxy S2 device nearly 2 weeks ago boasting Android 4.0.4, but neither Samsung nor USC will own up to an update even being in the pipeline, and much less when the update will be released.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Ironic that JB might be released by AT&T just in time for the GS4 release date announcement. GS4 is rumored to be released with JB.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance