Anyone got Jelly Bean yet? Its supposedly going to be released this week on AT&T

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
It is called testing. How many other carriers world wide have three networks to validate and test? None. Look at the history dating back to the Blackjack, no new load has been released for a public device as an update (WM5 to WM6 or GB to JB etc) until a new device is officially released with that load.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Vodaphone is getting the GS3 Jelly Bean updates tomorrow...this is ridiculous
AT&T is the nations leading cell phone provider, yet they have the worst customer service rating of all

As soon as they make a Nexus with a Micro SD Card, I will be getting that instead....unless the GS4 specs blow me away

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
There are lots of assumptions in this thread that today's cell phone industry model will always remain the same. Thus no reason for changes on the part of providers. We can all be certain that in the future it will certainly change. The only question is how it will then play out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
It is called testing. How many other carriers world wide have three networks to validate and test? None. Look at the history dating back to the Blackjack, no new load has been released for a public device as an update (WM5 to WM6 or GB to JB etc) until a new device is officially released with that load.

I'm not sure what you mean by no "new load". Android devices are updated over the air, and the Note II has official JB on AT&T's network so I'm a bit confused by your statement. Plus it would be ICS to JB. Gingerbread is old news.

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I too come from the iOS ecosystem and I must say that the one thing that drives me back and forth between android and iOS is updates. I believe that android/samsung/google could give themselves a major edge over iOS if the update process improved.

If u want updates get googles flagship device, the nexus 4

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If u want updates get googles flagship device, the nexus 4

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Again, the issue is not "give me an update that does not exist", as would be the case when Samsung does not have an update done and ready to go. In this case, Europe and Asia have the update, T-mobile and Sprint customers have the update. The update has been released by Samsung to the carriers, so the update is not something that costs AT&T anything if Samsung releases it via Kies. Samsung COULD just release via Kies, and we would be happy at this point.

Key Lime Pie would be a whole different story if Samsung decides not to release it for the S3, then we can and probably will just root our phones and get the unofficial update when it is available through unofficial sources. If that happens, then you would have a fair point. Picture if you walk into a store and only people of a certain racial/ethnic group were allowed to buy a product but others were not, when there were plenty to sell to EVERYONE. Would you say to just go to another store because of that sort of behavior on the part of the store?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Again, the issue is not "give me an update that does not exist", as would be the case when Samsung does not have an update done and ready to go. In this case, Europe and Asia have the update, T-mobile and Sprint customers have the update. The update has been released by Samsung to the carriers, so the update is not something that costs AT&T anything if Samsung releases it via Kies. Samsung COULD just release via Kies, and we would be happy at this point.

Key Lime Pie would be a whole different story if Samsung decides not to release it for the S3, then we can and probably will just root our phones and get the unofficial update when it is available through unofficial sources. If that happens, then you would have a fair point. Picture if you walk into a store and only people of a certain racial/ethnic group were allowed to buy a product but others were not, when there were plenty to sell to EVERYONE. Would you say to just go to another store because of that sort of behavior on the part of the store?

I am tired of this argument but here goes. No Samsung cannot just release it for Att&t. They release it TO Att&t, who then adds in their bloatware and certifies it on the network. Then Att&t releases it.

Samsung does not do any of that, nor do they have any of the code for Att&ts bloat. Verizon is worse than any other carrier because the CDMA binaries are proprietary. Luckily Att is GSM so that is not a huge hold up, but it still has to get sertified for the network.

Unless you have a Nexus, the updates go like this:
Google gives it to the world
The OEMs pick it up and add in Touchwiz and whatever other software they want. At this point Google only acts in an advisory role, not an active one.
OEMs then say "here is TW flavored android, do what you need" Carriers get it, add their stuff in (they bake it in so that it cannot be removed most of the time) and check it on the network pretty extensively.

If an issue comes up, it is usually batted back and forth from the OEM to the Carrier and back again. Google will be happy to help and give advice, but their hands are pretty much out of it.

A non-Nexus phone has 3 layers to go through, not just one. Att&t is different with the nexus because GSM is open source so they can pretty much get the updates right from the googs.

When you see Samsung release and update to any model, that generally means that the carriers are on the clock. Usually, and especially in the case of VZW, they are the longest hold up, the biggest problem and the source of most bugs that are signal, gps, and crap like that related.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It should be, as long as it's taking. Sprint released theirs and it has a bunch of bugs. That was almost a month ago. T mobile just released theirs. I'm with US cellular, and while I'm pissed that it's taking so long, it's probably best. They are finding out what bugs there are from other people that have it and are working to fix it. This is the longest I've known an update to take after being announced.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

In what way was the sprint release buggy??? In fact its the exact opposite

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I am not seeing any issues with the sprint version. Jb is actually better than my ics Verizon version

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
In what way was the sprint release buggy??? In fact its the exact opposite

There's a lot of stuff online about the screen flashing, apps crashing, camera not working, Google it.

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
There's a lot of stuff online about the screen flashing, apps crashing, camera not working, people are having to flash their phones to get it working properly. I'm not saying everyone is having issues, but a few are. I've read things on here about people having issues with it. Idk if those people are rooted or not. I'm very irritated that us cellular hasn't released it but neither has Verizon. Maybe they are waiting so it will be the 4.2 update, but I doubt it. Verizon is all about Droid n could care less about Samsung. But still with us cellular having such a bad reputation, u would think they would wanna hurry n release it so that their people will stay. I know 4 people that switched to sprint within a few days of the update being released.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
There's a lot of stuff online about the screen flashing, apps crashing, camera not working, Google it.

I don't have to not only do I frequent this forum but I know 3 people personally with sprint s3z and none have the issues u speak of lol. Just cuz sprint released it fast don't mean its wrong lol

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't have to not only do I frequent this forum but I know 3 people personally with sprint s3z and none have the issues u speak of lol. Just cuz sprint released it fast don't mean its wrong lol

Well, goody for u. But I am online almost all day, almost everyday when I'm not at work. When the update was FIRST released there were issues. Whether u believe it or not is up to u. I don't really care.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This is about as foolish an argument as I have heard on here.

With any release things are gonna happen. The software can be rock solid in a test environment, but when given widespread release there are too many variables to account for to have it be smooth for everyone. Why yes I am a software developer and know first hand.

Most of the issues I have seen have been cleared up with a reset. Why? Because when you do a reset, you are starting with a clean handset, thus eliminating the variables.

The Sprint release was a good one. I hope at&T goes as well

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel