gs3 gps sucks. 3rd phone same problem

Chad Daniels

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys

I do a ton of backpacking and need a GPS. This is my 3rd device, and all 3 of them have the same issue. The GPS works for a while but after about three weeks then it will start to fail.

It makes navigation unusable. Any idea of any fixes. Like I said this is my 3rd device and all have been the same. Help please. The Verizon reps have noted my issue and are stumped.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I too used to use the gps in phones for hiking/geocaching but let's face it the gps in any cell is going to suck compared to a dedicated hand held gps. Today's smart phones are meant to do a ton of different tasks packed into a small thin device while a dedicated unit like my Garmin has all its power and antenna is dedicated to one task.

I will say that the s3 does perform extremely well with Google Navigation and it's turn by turn directions, a whole hell of a lot better than the Motion X app.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys

I do a ton of backpacking and need a GPS. This is my 3rd device, and all 3 of them have the same issue. The GPS works for a while but after about three weeks then it will start to fail.

It makes navigation unusable. Any idea of any fixes. Like I said this is my 3rd device and all have been the same. Help please. The Verizon reps have noted my issue and are stumped.

Mine sucks too and it's a bummer because I use it ALL the time. I discovered it was my case blocking signal. Idk how since it was just plastic and leather but since I've changed cases I'm getting stronger signals all around and my gps works more consistently

Sent from my Red GS3

Chad Daniels

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
You don't understand. It worked flawlessly when I got it. A few weeks later add it won't lock into any satellites. GPS status and GPS toolbox don't work. I took it to Verizon and they can't figure it out. Set it next toothed floor model. The floor model locked on to 10 satellites mine couldn't find any.

Verizon agreed to let me switch to another phone.. what's a good replacement for this piece of carp. I can't even use navigation.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You don't understand. It worked flawlessly when I got it. A few weeks later add it won't lock into any satellites. GPS status and GPS toolbox don't work. I took it to Verizon and they can't figure it out. Set it next toothed floor model. The floor model locked on to 10 satellites mine couldn't find any.

Verizon agreed to let me switch to another phone.. what's a good replacement for this piece of carp. I can't even use navigation.

I understood that yours just stopped working, I was just sharing a similar experience.

Sent from my Red GS3

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Not a piece of crap, look around you'll find complaints on just about every phone out there. Mine works just fine, maybe Verizon should replace it with another GS3.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can say my Sprint one seems to work. I've had the phone since day 1 (just about) and any time I need directions it helps me get there. The only issue is the map loading slow sometimes but that's just Sprint 3g :D.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had my S3 for 4+ months and GPS has been great. 3 phones and still having GPS problems? Guessing it's not the phone but I wonder what it might be? Bad luck? How you doing in the Lottery? :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried rebooting the phone fully? What about rooting, have you done it? What app(s) are you using to check the GPS status?

Chad Daniels

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Targos
Thanks for an actual suggestion instead of criticizing. My phone was rooted and with a custom Rom. I hard reset and run a stock Rom. I have disabled vz nav. Cleared maps cache deleted all updates. I've used GPS status to clear the data and download assistance... nothing.

My phone just says searching for GPS and has a flashing cursor in it.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Might have gone better here if you had said up front you were rooted and running a custom rom. Maybe the rom is crap, not the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

daflake

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
My guess is the ROM as well. I used my S3 for the last three weeks with no problem. GPS is working great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Correct. Stock rom... not rooted GPS still can't connect. 3rd s3 same problems.

But this is after you rooted it, installed a custom ROM, deleted GPS based bloatware, took it back to stock, maybe fiddled some more...? Just trying to see how something seemingly impossible happened. If you got three in a row that were bad out of the box, I'm a flying midwife.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But this is after you rooted it, installed a custom ROM, deleted GPS based bloatware, took it back to stock, maybe fiddled some more...? Just trying to see how something seemingly impossible happened. If you got three in a row that were bad out of the box, I'm a flying midwife.

This. I don't see how none of us have issues but 3 phones later you do OP? It has to be the custom rom.. Even though you went back something messed up in the process. I'd maybe talk with Skunkape (on these forums) to see if he can assist with getting you back to stock fully.. To fix gps.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Targos
Thanks for an actual suggestion instead of criticizing. My phone was rooted and with a custom Rom. I hard reset and run a stock Rom. I have disabled vz nav. Cleared maps cache deleted all updates. I've used GPS status to clear the data and download assistance... nothing.

My phone just says searching for GPS and has a flashing cursor in it.

You need to keep in mind that running a custom firmware(can't really call it ROM can you?) could potentially damage the device due to voltages being set too high and such(which can be controlled by the OS settings). This is why rooting a phone DOES tend to void the warranty. I've had my own AT&T S3 for a couple of months now and the GPS has worked flawlessly, though I have not used it continually for an extended time. I suppose if you ran some software that continually polled the GPS that it COULD have a negative effect and damage the GPS.