gs3 gps sucks. 3rd phone same problem

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have never had an issue with GPS. Works better than my wife's TomTom actually.

In fact, if I am in Google Maps or Earth, it not only pinpoints my house, but shows me in proper corner of my house. Pretty accurate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about the use of GPS for hiking/geocaching, but it wells really well for driving. I use a Telenav GPS and it has yet to give me a wrong direction or turn command. Only thing is we have had a lot of roadwork in the past year to two so the roads don't match in those areas.

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I chimed in a bit ago about my problem. Got s replacement & my GPS locked on in a second. Upgraded to jelly bean and now I connect to all the satellites in view as opposed to a little over half before.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Chad Daniels

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys...

Well, guess what, 4th phone, never rooted, stock rom... SAME ISSUE!!!! BUT.... I found the fix.

I use map my run almost nightly. I started taking notes about the GPS trail that it was leaving. After about 2 weeks, the trail was getting really choppy, like my GPS was jumping around. Pretty soon, I was back to the same issue. GPS kept disconnecting, showingan accuracy of 1300 meters at best, putting me in my city center (Which tells me it was calculating off of cellular satelites alone.)

4th phone tells me that this is a settings issue, that, perhaps is really evident in my area, so I...

1. Factory Reset
2. After re-setting up my phone, I went into my VZ Navgator application settings, and disabled it. Been two weeks, and it's working flawlessly. Fingers crossed it had something to do with my area (Out in the country) and the Verizon BLoatware....

Screw you verizon for creating the atrocity called VZNAV! You have pissed me off!

Thanks for the help everyone!

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly enough after crowing about how good the GPS is in the S3 mine began faultering today. Yep, I was cursing up a storm especially given the fact I had full signal. But I also noticed a few apps were giving me some bad issues as well, trying to launch and crashing. One was Beautiful Widgets which kept popping up the cloud animation no matter what I was trying to do and another was a theme which kept trying to start and crashed. Removed offending apps, reinstalled BW, viola! No more forced cloud animations and so far no more GPS disconnects...we'll see what happens next. Although like the above poster I did disable ATT's navigator.

Michael Neiswender

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I know I'm late to this discussion but I wanted to say that this is my only big compaint with my Samsung SGH-i997. Thinking about upgrading to the s3 but the GPS problems worry me. I see so many complaints about Samsung GPS that I think there must be a problem. My own phone loses GPS regulary in truly impossible places... from middle of remote interstate highways to downtown in major cities. The only thing that helps is and app called GPSFIX (i even bought the $$ upgrade to GPSFIX Deluxe) and it will *usually* pull in a GPS signal for me. The fact that even THAT wont get a signal sometimes tells me the phone's GPS is the problem.

Other problem is crap battery life, but I bought 4 aftermarket replacement batteries for about $10 each so i always have a full one around.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Downtown, surrounded by tall buildings, almost every GPS, even stand-alone units, struggle. The unit needs to get a consistent lock on a minimum of 3 satellites to get a 2D fix, and 4 to get altitude. Tall buildings tend to block the signals and prevent the GPS from getting a consistent lock on enough satellites as you move around.

I've had no issues with the GPS in my Sprint S3. It sometimes takes a while to get the initial fix when it's in a car, with a metal roof, but once it locates where it is I've never had an issue with it losing my position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12