AT&T Jelly Bean Update FINALLY Available via Kies!!!!!

JoeyTater

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
This was announced before 4.2 I believe
My friend had it on his Nexus on 4.1

I flashed 4.2 camera the other day and it was a feature. Swipe left for camera roll. It also had photosphere, which is kinda cool. Only thing that sucks is the shutter sound. Its on if the phone is on ring and off when it's on vib or silent. I have the file to flash if you want it. It also adds a new gallery that's far faster than stock, but I still used quickpic over it.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
after several trials finally I got JB. In my case Kies was freezing after downloading 100% and then process was going to "not responding" state. Here is what I did, I am not sure what finally did it.
1. run Kies as admin
2. I got Kies update notification few hours earlier so try to update that
3. read grunt0300's reply few posts above - I did that USB thing as well
4. I think most important thing I did was PATIENCE. every time Kies was not responding I was killing the process and restarting everything, but this time I waited for about 5-7 mins and finally Upgrade window came up and within 30-40 mins I was up and running.

Kies is one piece of ...I switched from iphone to android (S3) because I didn't like that iTunes was the only way to add anything to my iphone (no jail breaking)...Apart from that I like iTunes. Samsung should invest some time and money to fix this crap software.

Glad you got everything sorted out. With all the phones that Samsung sells, they will have to upgrade Kies pretty quick.:)

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I went back on my word. I've since installed it, but I'm yet to see what the what all the fuss is about with Jelly Bean. Maybe over the next few days I will see it.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I made sure that I had the latest version of Kies on my laptop after trying on my desktop pc. I made sure that USB debugging was still enabled. I connected my GS3. Firmware download paused only briefly at 99% then a couple of seconds later, it was at a 100%. The upgrade process began with the firmware download and then the install. Lloyd appeared on the GS3 along with a message to not disconnect the GS3 target. Once the upgrade was conplete, the device restarted and apps were optimized/started. I had to restart my GS3 a couple of times to get the browser to launch. Now, everything is snappier and smooth like buttah.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

mordyb

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I flashed 4.2 camera the other day and it was a feature. Swipe left for camera roll. It also had photosphere, which is kinda cool. Only thing that sucks is the shutter sound. Its on if the phone is on ring and off when it's on vib or silent. I have the file to flash if you want it. It also adds a new gallery that's far faster than stock, but I still used quickpic over it.

The shutter sound has always worked like that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

You can turn it off
Sorry for the sideways pic, but u see shutter sound, you can turn it off

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354780447522.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354780447522.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 131

mordyb

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I connected my phone to kies via usb and it showed I have an update. I clicked on it and as the download screen comes up and starts the kies screen goes back to normal (please connect device) not showing my device on the screen but continues the download saying downloading software components and it gets to 100% but nothing happens. It's done this multiple times so far can anyone help?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you have the most current version of Kies for Windows or Mac. Update Java. On your GS3, enable USB debugging. Make sure that your GS3 is fully charged. My desktop pc, which is five years old, was getting stuck at 99%. After a few tries, I connected to my laptop and the update took about 40 minutes from start to finish. Do not disconnect until prompted.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

mordyb

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you have the most current version of Kies for Windows or Mac. Update Java. On your GS3, enable USB debugging. Make sure that your GS3 is fully charged. My desktop pc, which is five years old, was getting stuck at 99%. After a few tries, I connected to my laptop and the update took about 40 minutes from start to finish. Do not disconnect until prompted.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

What should happen after it gets to 100%?

jblank

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Another quick way to access Google now would be to hold the Menu button and when the white screen pops up just say "Google" and google now will appear. :)

If I hold the menu button, I get task manager. Do you mean double tap? Also, when I get to the voice thing and say "Google", all it does is ask what I want to search for. Does anyone know a sure fire way to even see if Google Now is on my phone or working for me? I'm totally not understanding what the deal is with this Google Now, but I don't see a trace of it on my upgraded to JB Galaxy S III.

jblank

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For whomever was asking..the double click to bring up Google Now can be done.

This app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eikatou0.appspot.home2shortcut&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5laWthdG91MC5hcHBzcG90LmhvbWUyc2hvcnRjdXQiXQ..

Look at the app pics, make sure the last step when you close and it asks, you choose HOME2 as the default.

Now, step #1

For the Home>Home choose the App "Voice Search" and not the "Google" app if you want to double click the home button and the "speak now" option is up and you do not have to wake it up by saying "Google"

Step 3, the HOME application will be TouchWiz or a Launcher if you are using one.

Then the step, step 4 I talked about above, it's easy to miss if you aren't careful because you are used to telling it to use a launcher here, choose the "Home2" option after tapping close. That will now bring up the Google Now "voice searching option" when you double click. Also add the Voice Search app (the one with the mic picture) to your lock screen, which BTW, can now have 5 icons instead of 4.

I'm confused and the app directions seem written by someone that doesn't know English well. Take it from the top please, lol.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If I hold the menu button, I get task manager. Do you mean double tap? Also, when I get to the voice thing and say "Google", all it does is ask what I want to search for. Does anyone know a sure fire way to even see if Google Now is on my phone or working for me? I'm totally not understanding what the deal is with this Google Now, but I don't see a trace of it on my upgraded to JB Galaxy S III.

Lets start with definitions, just to make sure everyone is talking about the same thing. The MENU button is the button on the left. The HOME button is the center button, and the BACK button is the one on the right.

With that said, with the JB update, if you press and hold the MENU button, it will bring up Google Now directly. You can also press and hold the HOME button, and then at the bottom you hit the Google "g" to bring up Google Now.

If you have installed some programs to customize the button functions, that could change these.

jblank

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I apologize so much, I just got confused and read it wrong. Can you tell I come into this being new to the Android phones? I am so sorry and everything you just explained works perfectly.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Download JB and I love it but noticed battery life is horrible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

This was my own observation, where four hours would drain 60 percent of my battery with very very light use. Here is how to diagnose what is going on:
Go to settings(either menu and settings, or pull down your notification bar and then hit the gear at the top right).
Go down to battery

Now, you will see a breakdown of what has been pulling battery power. For mine, I saw a 35 percent for screen. Clearly, the screen by default is MUCH brighter since the update, so I literally took the screen brightness to MINIMUM, which is still bright enough for indoor use. Since I did this, the battery drain problem was solved for me.

Some people have reported issues with "media" taking the bulk, and for that problem, the issue is a corrupted file on the MicroSD card they had. Copy the files off the card to a computer, then reformat the card, and then you can copy the files back to the card.

If those do not work, you MAY need to backup and then do a factory reset(leaves Jelly Bean but removes all the apps and settings on your phone), and that should do it. Some apps may not work properly, or may break from the update process, and they then run amok.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I apologize so much, I just got confused and read it wrong. Can you tell I come into this being new to the Android phones? I am so sorry and everything you just explained works perfectly.

Ignorance is always forgivable, but stupidity is not. Just because you didn't know does not make you stupid, so it is fine. Everyone here is CONTINUALLY learning new things, and the key is for everyone to understand the terminology that others are using.

305rob305

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This was my own observation, where four hours would drain 60 percent of my battery with very very light use. Here is how to diagnose what is going on:
Go to settings(either menu and settings, or pull down your notification bar and then hit the gear at the top right).
Go down to battery

Now, you will see a breakdown of what has been pulling battery power. For mine, I saw a 35 percent for screen. Clearly, the screen by default is MUCH brighter since the update, so I literally took the screen brightness to MINIMUM, which is still bright enough for indoor use. Since I did this, the battery drain problem was solved for me.

Some people have reported issues with "media" taking the bulk, and for that problem, the issue is a corrupted file on the MicroSD card they had. Copy the files off the card to a computer, then reformat the card, and then you can copy the files back to the card.

If those do not work, you MAY need to backup and then do a factory reset(leaves Jelly Bean but removes all the apps and settings on your phone), and that should do it. Some apps may not work properly, or may break from the update process, and they then run amok.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2