Now that we officially have Jelly Bean what are your thoughts?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The update is what they said it would be, no one should have been expecting a completely different OS. Everyone knew there wouldn't be huge changes like from GB to ICS. Google Now is good, the Swype keyboard is an improvement from the "Swype like" keyboard that ICS had, things are more fluid and smooth.

Last edited:

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
One thing I havent seen mentioned here, but I just updated. Music Squares never worked for me before because I have all my music on an SD card. Well I did a Library update after installing the JB update and it found all my music. Not exactly blown away by Samsungs music squares but at least now I know what its like.

I also noticed AT&T added in a mobile hotspot app. I don't remember that being there before. I assume you still need a plan with tethering to use it?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
One thing I havent seen mentioned here, but I just updated. Music Squares never worked for me before because I have all my music on an SD card. Well I did a Library update after installing the JB update and it found all my music. Not exactly blown away by Samsungs music squares but at least now I know what its like.

I also noticed AT&T added in a mobile hotspot app. I don't remember that being there before. I assume you still need a plan with tethering to use it?

Yup, you have to have a paying plan for it. AT&T just put that "hotspot' deal right in your face, like stores do for impulse shoppers lol

jjthenovice

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm pleased with the update. The big surprise for me is that it fixed or modified the MAP (message access protocol) for bluetooth. Now when I'm paired to my car it receives and reads to me the text messages that are sent to me. I can also respond with 4 pre set up messages too. Yeah. The overall feel of JB is it's like "Butter" LOL.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Here are some of my impressions.

1. Like having 5 icons on the lock screens instead of 4 icons.
2. No swipe to capture screen shot of the lock screen.
3. Voice commands to take a picture more responsive.
4. Like choice to save pictures to micro sd card or the phone.
5. Like home screen mode and blocking mode.
6. Like nightshade with the time, date, and and day of week.
7. Use airplane mode and WiFi instead of being able to toggle no data not as good but is a workaround.
8. Like having quick access to Settings on nightshade.
9. Pinch to zoom and double tap screen gestures in browser smoother and more responsive.
10. Webpages seem to load faster. Had to reboot twice after the update as browser seemed to hang and not load quickly.
11. Smart Stay seems to work better in both low and normal light conditions.
12. Swiping between home screens is faster and smoother.
13. SwiftKey works well and was not affected by the upgrade.
14. Apps, widgets and downloads have tabs. Longpress widget to put on a homescreen and resizing is good.
15. Like longpress home button to get task manager, Google and remove apps.
16. Would have liked split screen for true multi - tasking.
17. Battery life is only marginally better.
18. Kapersky anti-virus seems to scan faster.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Here are some of my impressions.

1. Like having 5 icons on the lock screens instead of 4 icons.
2. No swipe to capture screen shot of the lock screen.
3. Voice commands to take a picture more responsive.
4. Like choice to save pictures to micro sd card or the phone.
5. Like home screen mode and blocking mode.
6. Like nightshade with the time, date, and and day of week.
7. Use airplane mode and WiFi instead of being able to toggle no data not as good but is a workaround.
8. Like having quick access to Settings on nightshade.
9. Pinch to zoom and double tap screen gestures in browser smoother and more responsive.
10. Webpages seem to load faster. Had to reboot twice after the update as browser seemed to hang and not load quickly.
11. Smart Stay seems to work better in both low and normal light conditions.
12. Swiping between home screens is faster and smoother.
13. SwiftKey works well and was not affected by the upgrade.
14. Apps, widgets and downloads have tabs. Longpress widget to put on a homescreen and resizing is good.
15. Like longpress home button to get task manager, Google and remove apps.
16. Would have liked split screen for true multi - tasking.
17. Battery life is only marginally better.
18. Kapersky anti-virus seems to scan faster.

Do a search on the play store for "data toggle" there are several one button widgets that are free and ad free.

I installed this one to check it out, I never use data toggle and it is a button on the home screen and does just what you would expect, turns data off and on with one click.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.data.enabler&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5mYXJwcm9jLmRhdGEuZW5hYmxlciJd

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is new but when I try to scroll in the Internet browser on the side of the Web page it zooms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is new but when I try to scroll in the Internet browser on the side of the Web page it zooms.

Not sure if it's new or not either but I noticed this as well, but if you move over slightly it scrolls.

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't like that both of my email accounts are now combined into the same widget.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Fix no swipe to screen shot the lock screen. Need mobile data shortcut. Mobile data shortcut not a deal breaker as there are work arounds such as enabling airplane mode and then WiFi. Need the split screen for improved mult-tasking. Need tweak to OS to improve battery life. One thing that RIM does well is to squeeze every ounce of performance out of its underpowered hardware and still have great battery life. I believe that you can also go through the setting screens and there should be a way to enable mobile data. My son is playing with my GS3 as his i4 has bit the dust due overly aggressive use resulting in catastrophic hardware failure aka shattering the glass back of his phone. We may have another convert from Apple. Now, my if I could only get my wife to get over the screen size isse, and we might have another one.

diegoac33

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
The phone work great very smooth. But the process to upgrade was a pain. Because of kies.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Kies needs to be as smooth as BB Desktop Manager but it is better than Kies Air.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
other than Google Now, I haven't really noticed a difference. The browser is a bit choppy though.

Try a battery pull. Leave it out for two minutes. Restart your phone. Had the same issue.

jafa666

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm enjoying the update so far on my AT&T galaxys3. Played around with google now a bit and it's ok. I like the music hub that came with the update and i like how it is smoother now. I have noticed that with swiftkey3 that some times i have words reconized and other times i'm just typing without words. I can't wait for this new premium suite update to come around.