Kies wont conect to phone............help!!!

glitchgod

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I just installed the kies for windows 7 and ran it in admin rights. FRom there i connected it to my phone using stock power usb cable. When i connect the phone to the computer nothing happens and i just sit there waiting for something but nothing. I ninstalledd and reinstalled it but stil nothing. Also i ran thebuilt in tool and disconnected the cable, ran it, waited, restarted computer, then connected cable again but nothing. Looked around and found on samsung website a usb update file but still nothing.

PLEASE HELP I WANT JELLY BEAN

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I just installed the kies for windows 7 and ran it in admin rights. FRom there i connected it to my phone using stock power usb cable. When i connect the phone to the computer nothing happens and i just sit there waiting for something but nothing. I ninstalledd and reinstalled it but stil nothing. Also i ran thebuilt in tool and disconnected the cable, ran it, waited, restarted computer, then connected cable again but nothing. Looked around and found on samsung website a usb update file but still nothing.

Maybe it's the phone?
Try resetting the phone and reconnecting. Sounds like the phone is not connected.

Do you get the usb icon on your phone, in the notification bar?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

If I remember correctly, there was something on Kies that said if it didn't recognize your phone, that under "Tools" there is a trouble shooting wizard, to run that and that will tell you some things to do.

glitchgod

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
kelly:
i used the tool and it reinstalled the driver but nothing

LazrRocketArm:
no i dont see a usb icon
also is there a setting that my phone might be blocking this?
i was reading that sometimes the USB debug can do this so i disabled it but still nothing....
i really dont want to factory restore just got everything good!

Note:
before i had the S3 i had a Desire HTC which had setting in the phone to deal with what whould happen when connected to the phone. does the s3 have something like this?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You can go to Samsung Live Chat support and they can help you.

Samsung

kelly:
i used the tool and it reinstalled the driver but nothing

LazrRocketArm:
no i dont see a usb icon
also is there a setting that my phone might be blocking this?
i was reading that sometimes the USB debug can do this so i disabled it but still nothing....
i really dont want to factory restore just got everything good!

Note:
before i had the S3 i had a Desire HTC which had setting in the phone to deal with what whould happen when connected to the phone. does the s3 have something like this?

You mean like turning on the USB Debugging or something like that? I had to do that with my Captivate when upgrading last year, but didn't have to do it with my S3 last night. I had a new download of Kies since I had wiped my computer since last year and I just connected my phone, upgraded and haven't had any issues at all.

glitchgod

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh they got it to work

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If this is happening to you.
0)disconnect from computer
1)take out battery to phone
2)put back in after 1 min (they wanted it to be at least 1 min....not sue why)
3)turn back on phone
4)connect to usb
5)a pop up should ask for what type to act as
select the MTP one( first option)
6)run kies
7)if kies messes up and stay with connecting for more then 5 mins uninstall kies
shutdown
reinstall kies with usb and phone connected
the drivers will auto install BUT WAIT FOR THE SCREEN TO SHOW IT
it should now work

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
oh i love tech support just as much as i love cutting my foot with a chainsaw

Yeah, told you :) Every time I have dealt with Samsung Tech Support on live chat, they have been great. If you talk to them like you know more than your granny does about the phone, they generally will talk to you like you have some knowledge and I've just never had the normal "tech support" issues with them on live chat that you generally have with tech support.

IamAwesom3

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Oh they got it to work

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If this is happening to you.
0)disconnect from computer
1)take out battery to phone
2)put back in after 1 min (they wanted it to be at least 1 min....not sue why)
3)turn back on phone
4)connect to usb
5)a pop up should ask for what type to act as
select the MTP one( first option)
6)run kies
7)if kies messes up and stay with connecting for more then 5 mins uninstall kies
shutdown
reinstall kies with usb and phone connected
the drivers will auto install BUT WAIT FOR THE SCREEN TO SHOW IT
it should now work

That worked like a charm. and one more thing I made sure to start kies run as administrator.

glitchgod

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, told you :) Every time I have dealt with Samsung Tech Support on live chat, they have been great. If you talk to them like you know more than your granny does about the phone, they generally will talk to you like you have some knowledge and I've just never had the normal "tech support" issues with them on live chat that you generally have with tech support.

Now go talk to sony its like talking to a wall across to the other side of the world.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Now go talk to sony its like talking to a wall across to the other side of the world.

Most tech support is really bad, even when you have something that is paid. Samsung has really surprised me in the last few years with their tech support and the fact that it is 24/7 and you get more than the standard "call Samsung and it will cost you money" to get help. These days, it makes it really worth it to buy their products, because a "good deal" covers more than just the price you pay for the product.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
As I have posted in other threads, you have two issues: Does the phone talk to the computer(it will install drivers and you can copy files to/from the phone)? If it talks to the computer, then you have the issue of not talking to Kies. Each of these issues needs to be addressed.

So, run Kies without the phone being connected, and diagnose connection problems. This will re-install the drivers for the phone. You can skip checking Windows Update to save some time. Once you do that, you should be able to plug the phone in, and the drivers for the phone SHOULD install themselves properly.

Now, Kies itself should be run either "as administrator", or run from an account that has administrator permissions.

I will note at this point that USB has evolved over several generations, from 1.1 to 2.0 to 3.0. On older machines, some of the USB ports may be USB 1.1 with others at 2.0. On some newer machines, you have a bunch that are 2.0 with some 3.0. Try plugging your phone into the BACK of your computer, not the USB ports on the front and see if that helps.

StuffOfInterest

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
When Kies doesn't recognize my phone I've often had luck just moving to a different USB port.

rgarneau

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Suure use Samsung Chat support if you want to communicte with someone in Asia that has NO IDEA how to speak English. Yesterday I tried for something else and after what turned out to be an incredibly frustrating experience, I said, "Thanks for nothing" and hung up (Like, "Ronnie" was their real name). I even tried again and same thing. Like EVERY other Asian company out there, Chat support is incredibly useless and frustrating.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
As I have posted in other threads, you have two issues: Does the phone talk to the computer(it will install drivers and you can copy files to/from the phone)? If it talks to the computer, then you have the issue of not talking to Kies. Each of these issues needs to be addressed.

So, run Kies without the phone being connected, and diagnose connection problems. This will re-install the drivers for the phone. You can skip checking Windows Update to save some time. Once you do that, you should be able to plug the phone in, and the drivers for the phone SHOULD install themselves properly.

Now, Kies itself should be run either "as administrator", or run from an account that has administrator permissions.

I will note at this point that USB has evolved over several generations, from 1.1 to 2.0 to 3.0. On older machines, some of the USB ports may be USB 1.1 with others at 2.0. On some newer machines, you have a bunch that are 2.0 with some 3.0. Try plugging your phone into the BACK of your computer, not the USB ports on the front and see if that helps.

I am absolutely amazed at what a POS Kies is. I followed GlitchGod's steps he got from Samsung. No dice. I've set both Kies and Kies lite to run as administrator. No difference. S3 is connected as MTP device by USB. The attempt is made to connect for awhile then an error message on the phone says there is no software on the computer and I can go to Samsung to download Kies. This after I've done just that.

I'm running Win7 with USB 2.0. I've tried plugging directly into the back, front and thru a hub, there is not difference. I've run the the trouble shooting several times and had the drivers reinstalled each time. Still, the S3 doesn't recognize Kies. The only way I get anywhere is by changing to PTP from MTP. Then windows explorer sees the device. I can transfer photos and music this way but what about updating firmware? Is the only way to get these updates thru this piece of SHAT? Does Samsung do OTA updates?

It is just incredible to me that this is so difficult. I love the phone, but this is just about enough for me to return it!

Dirk Dashing

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
ugh, every time i connect my phone to the old lappy i get told that windows doesn't recognize the device. when i open the details it says windows stopped the device because it reported errors (code 43). i have pulled the battery, restarted it, uninstalled kies, reinstalled kies, reinstalled the drivers, i'm to the point of saying **** it. jellybean just ain't worth it.

gebril

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I managed to connect my samsung galaxy s1 through Kies doing the next steps:

1. In settings, under the developer options I activated USB debugging.

2. I connected the phone to the computer and let the windows to install the drivers

3. I opened the Kies and when I have received the message that the phone must be in Kies, I disconnected and in USB Settings choosen Samsung Kies

4. I reconnected the phone and it worked.

Hope that helps!