Any way to exclude a folder from the Gallery App?

CaribPhoto

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
My S3 is running JB. Is there any way to exclude a folder of images or movies from being included when opening the Gallery App? Thanks.

bfdtpkt

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My S3 is running JB. Is there any way to exclude a folder of images or movies from being included when opening the Gallery App? Thanks.

Nobody has answered the OP question, which is how to delete photos/folders from the "Gallery"..................
I'd like to know how to do this, also. Thanks!

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Nobody has answered the OP question, which is how to delete photos/folders from the "Gallery"..................
I'd like to know how to do this, also. Thanks!

He wasn't asking how to delete just how to hide them and all the posts answered that question.

To delete just press and hold the folder or photo to select and then press the garbage can icon at the top right.

jobano

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
rename the folder with a dot at the beginning, it will turn it as a hidden folder and the galley app won't list it anymore ;)

.my_private_stuff

Jeremy Badessa

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Renaming the folder with a dot, and every file in the folder, did nothing for me with my S4.

However, I found this gem:
Create or copy any little text file into the folder you want to remain "hidden".
Rename the file ".nomedia"
Presto chango, no more stuff in your secret folder will show up in the Gallery. :)
At least, it worked for me!

siredge

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
That is very handy- I use Expensify for my expense reports and it was annoying to have all of my receipts copied into my gallery; doubly so since I use IFTTT to copy my android pictures over to my Google Drive. .nomedia fixed that very quickly.

Any ideas for album covers? If I .nomedia those folders, then the music player won't find them (or the music files they relate to), but I don't want them in my photo gallery either....

Darwin_Garcia

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Renaming the folder with a dot, and every file in the folder, did nothing for me with my S4.

However, I found this gem:
Create or copy any little text file into the folder you want to remain "hidden".
Rename the file ".nomedia"
Presto chango, no more stuff in your secret folder will show up in the Gallery. :)
At least, it worked for me!

So, we all know that Samsung is cr*p... yet, this again sounds like a solution I could go for...

Ideally, I shouldn't have to rename folders, nor keep unwanted files in them... folders should just have a property setting.. 2B or !2B... included...

arkugula

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Jeremy BADASS!
I have a Note IV running Marshmallow.

My ebooks folder has one folder per ebook and a picture of the cover for each, which means that each cover picture appeared in the Gallery as its own album---and I have MANY, which made my gallery a nightmare to navigate!
Until Lollipop, I could easily exclude my ebooks folder from the Gallery through settings.
(Even if we couldn't select folders to include, we could at least exclude the external card.)
In the latest versions, this option was gone, I have been looking for an solution since.

Came across your post, added a .NOMEDIA empty text file under my ebooks folder and it worked like a charm (excluded all subfolders too).

How on earth is excluding folders (or selecting folders to include) not a standard option in the settings?????