Question about Onavo Extend

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I am currently on Verizon Wireless, but am going to be switching to AT&T within the next four to six weeks. I was told about Onavo Extend, and was wondering if it really did "compress" the data so that I'd be able to get more out of the three gigabyte data package. I currently have unlimited data on Verizon, so I never really cared how much data I used, but going to a tiered data plan I will be using WiFi more, as well as doing anything I can to cut down on data usage. The link to Onavo Extend in the Play Store is https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...mF2by5hbmRyb2lkLm9uYXZvaWNzIl0&token=XWVMAeXs.

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I used it for a little while, but didn't like it. It slowed my data speeds way down, to below 2 mbps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Recently downloaded this app and can't really speak about data usage savings but one thing I've observed is that "4G" no longer appears on my taskbar, so I don't know whether I have data turned on. I think that is a definitely disadvantage.

I am currently on Verizon Wireless, but am going to be switching to AT&T within the next four to six weeks. I was told about Onavo Extend, and was wondering if it really did "compress" the data so that I'd be able to get more out of the three gigabyte data package. I currently have unlimited data on Verizon, so I never really cared how much data I used, but going to a tiered data plan I will be using WiFi more, as well as doing anything I can to cut down on data usage. The link to Onavo Extend in the Play Store is https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...mF2by5hbmRyb2lkLm9uYXZvaWNzIl0&token=VC7uQu4j.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Recently downloaded this app and can't really speak about data usage savings but one thing I've observed is that "4G" no longer appears on my taskbar, so I don't know whether I have data turned on. I think that is a definitely disadvantage.

Yikes, that's not good! Did you ever get it figured out?

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I figured it out.
When you turn on mobile data and drag from the bar at top under Ongoing you see VPN is activated by Onavo...Touch to manage the network. When you tap on that you activate Onavo and the 4G (or 3G) will be indicated up top.

Yikes, that's not good! Did you ever get it figured out?

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I figured it out.
When you turn on mobile data and drag from the bar at top under Ongoing you see VPN is activated by Onavo...Touch to manage the network. When you tap on that you activate Onavo and the 4G (or 3G) will be indicated up top.

Cool, thanks for the tip. Do you notice a decrease in your data usage?

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
You're welcome. I noticed Onavo has good instructions for setting up your interface - I haven't done anything other than install it - I really should read those instructions!

I am not a big data user, but nearing the end of my data usage for this month I am under one gig and my plan calls for two. My biggest drain is when I use Pandora and that's not an every day thing.

Cool, thanks for the tip. Do you notice a decrease in your data usage?

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
You're welcome. I noticed Onavo has good instructions for setting up your interface - I haven't done anything other than install it - I really should read those instructions!

I am not a big data user, but nearing the end of my data usage for this month I am under one gig and my plan calls for two. My biggest drain is when I use Pandora and that's not an every day thing.

I used Onavo for about two months while I had my S3. When I got the One X+, I installed it but never activated it. I was just wondering what peoples' experiences with it are/were.

droided77

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I've used it in the past with my iPhone 4. It's OK, it did compress the data as it states. But some apps didn't work sending it's data through it (at least my experience with it) such as tapatalk.

I haven't tried installing it on my S3 yet. Since it's free I would suggest giving it a try, you can always uninstall it if it doesn't suit your needs.

pkinneavy

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have been using it for the last month after going over my data the month before. If I am to believe the app its saved me around 800 MB this month but it weirdly jumped like 550 MB in one day so I am going to use it for another full month to see what is really going on. As for speeds I have seen no real decrease on HSPA or LTE networks but I live seacoast NH so its not like I'm fighting hard for bandwith. The biggest thing I notice is that image and video quality are slightly degraded, obviously because of the compression, I have not tried it yet with streaming audio but that will be part of my extended test next month. So far every app I've tried with it has worked without issue.

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I am concerned about your comment regarding image quality, since I use my S3 more for pictures than phonecalls.

Has anyone else noticed a degradation of image quality while using Onavo Extend?

I have been using it for the last month after going over my data the month before. If I am to believe the app its saved me around 800 MB this month but it weirdly jumped like 550 MB in one day so I am going to use it for another full month to see what is really going on. As for speeds I have seen no real decrease on HSPA or LTE networks but I live seacoast NH so its not like I'm fighting hard for bandwith. The biggest thing I notice is that image and video quality are slightly degraded, obviously because of the compression, I have not tried it yet with streaming audio but that will be part of my extended test next month. So far every app I've tried with it has worked without issue.

droided77

May 19, 2013
Visit site
If I remember correctly in the app's settings there was a slider for image compression quality so you could adjust it depending how clear you wanted it.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol