I WANT MY iPHONE 3S BACK...............

bfdtpkt

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle
QUOTE Surprised no one pointed out that there's no such thing as an iphone 3s lol. QUOTE

OK Party Pooper.................ALL iPHONE 3's are "G"...........I assumed you would know that...........hehehehe....so you understand, I should have said.....3GS!

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
OK Party Pooper.................ALL iPHONE 3's are "G"...........I assumed you would know that...........hehehehe....so you understand, I should have said.....3GS!
Yes, but of course we knew that. ;) It's just that, well, it's just that, around these here parts . . .even the mere mention of an iPhone gets many some feeling all superior and everything, and well, okay, somewhat pedantic. ;) What can I tell ya? ;)

Btw, I hear ya. ;) And psssst (just between you & me), I'm not really an ex-3GS'er, as I still use my 3GS iPhone . . almost as much as I do my GS3 !! ;)

:eek: . . .** looks both ways before taking off at full sprint and diving head-first back into nearest foxhole bunker . . .**

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see that the OP has come down off the ledge and that AC proved itself to be a great forum (no flaming)

With any major upgrade to save yourself issues I live by this guide:

Factory reset
Take the update
factory reset
Set my phone back up

It will take an hour or so depending on the upgrade, but it will save you HOURS of frustration

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Glad to see that the OP has come down off the ledge and that AC proved itself to be a great forum (no flaming)

Factory reset
Take the update
factory reset
Set my phone back up

It will take an hour or so depending on the upgrade, but it will save you HOURS of frustration

Hehe. This is one advice I always provide to others, but frankly I have yet to Factory Reset my S3 after updating to 4.1.1. Hopefully it will solve small issues for me once I do.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I flash so much stuff it is second nature for me to wipe 10 times. I have a few other phones that I maintain so I take flack for the process, but they get over it. The next round of upgrades though I am think of rooting a few of them so that I can do proper backups (and restores) to cut down on the heat...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I didn't do a factory reset after this update and it's kinda been bugging me to do it. I really wanted to format my card too, I've had it fora couple of years now. I had a random reboot today, so that was excuse enough for me :) I reset, copied all my pics over and did a format on my card. I really needed to get those pics copied anyway.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle
QUOTE Surprised no one pointed out that there's no such thing as an iphone 3s lol. QUOTE

I was just kidding but all iPhones are not g only the 3G and the 3GS lol I'm just an anal nerd.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
After the issues I've been having since I upgraded to Jelly Bean, I should really perform a hard reset. I'm this ---- close to doing so.

I didn't do a factory reset after this update and it's kinda been bugging me to do it. I really wanted to format my card too, I've had it fora couple of years now. I had a random reboot today, so that was excuse enough for me :) I reset, copied all my pics over and did a format on my card. I really needed to get those pics copied anyway.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset
Take the update
factory reset
Set my phone back up
Very interesting. Thanks for that, pizzadude.
So doing a factory reset after an update (like the JB 4.1.1) ? doesn't take the phone back to the original ICS build that it shipped/was delivered to you with? But rather, after an update like the JB 4.1.1 ?it just factory resets the phone back to what a JB 4.1.1 factory shipped condition? of the phone would be?

Btw . . lifelong pizza lover here. ;) As much so, as Micheal Keaton's? Steve #2 in Multiplicity ? except I don't fold pizza slices up and put them in my wallet. lol ;)

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Very interesting. Thanks for that, pizzadude.
So doing a factory reset after an update (like the JB 4.1.1) ? doesn't take the phone back to the original ICS build that it shipped/was delivered to you with? But rather, after an update like the JB 4.1.1 ?it just factory resets the phone back to what a JB 4.1.1 factory shipped condition? of the phone would be?

Btw . . lifelong pizza lover here. ;) As much so, as Micheal Keaton's? Steve #2 in Multiplicity ? except I don't fold pizza slices up and put them in my wallet. lol ;)

That is correct. "Factory Reset" does not restore to an image or anything like that -- what it does do is clear all user data (including apps) from the device and re-enables the setup wizard at the beginning. You'll still be running whatever the current version installed on the phone is.

Frankly, I wish manufacturers provided a better non-OTA way to do updates (i.e. KIES for Samsung...but better), that helped backup a phones config, did a full wipe, then installed the update and then restored any compatible data from the backup. OTA updates are very error prone.
(and yes, I realize this would actually be very similar to using iTunes to update an iPhone -- I actually think that's a great model to follow).

As much for a pain as it can be, I agree 100% with Pizzadude...doing a factory reset prior to upgrading OTA will prevent any user or app data from mucking it up. I do doubt that in most cases the factory reset post-upgrade is necessary, but at that point I guess it doesn't hurt.

Of course *IF* you're technically inclined, the real way to go is to root and manage your OS upgrades yourself, IMO...but that should NOT be necessary for the average user to have to deal with to get an update applied with no problems.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm back to the factory reset on my S3 and it's working great! The "synch" and backup worked as ya'll said!
I apologize for getting a little flustered, I'm sure everyone has been there once or twice.............

Way more than once or twice, and on every platform I've ever tried. And that's a lot of them. (grin)

I wanted to take a second and mention how refreshing it is to see someone with a problem on a new operating system actually stop and listen to advice from people who have been there, done that, and gave it an honest try. That's not an easy or comfortable thing to do.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, I wish manufacturers provided a better non-OTA way to do updates (i.e. KIES for Samsung...but better), that helped backup a phones config, did a full wipe, then installed the update and then restored any compatible data from the backup. OTA updates are very error prone.
(and yes, I realize this would actually be very similar to using iTunes to update an iPhone -- I actually think that's a great model to follow).

I agree, having the stock option (though not necessarily the requirement) of doing a computer-based iPhone-like upgrade with full backup and restore would be very nice. OTA is terribly useful for those of us who do not have any Windows- or Mac-based computers they can load software on (and few phone manufacturers bother with a Linux-based install tool), so there are those of us who are pretty much stuck with either OTA or root options. But having a backup of things that seem so minor like game/application data that can be restored after a factory reset would be pretty nice.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I agree, having the stock option (though not necessarily the requirement) of doing a computer-based iPhone-like upgrade with full backup and restore would be very nice. OTA is terribly useful for those of us who do not have any Windows- or Mac-based computers they can load software on (and few phone manufacturers bother with a Linux-based install tool), so there are those of us who are pretty much stuck with either OTA or root options. But having a backup of things that seem so minor like game/application data that can be restored after a factory reset would be pretty nice.
Yes, I understand what you're saying, and thank you for pointing that out so clearly. That's what I've been used to, with iTunes, over the last 3~4 years.

Why this interests me (as a stock un-rooted, or pre-rooted GS3 user), is because I'm trying to figure-out the best way to back-up 'minor' things like: notes in my Notes app; S Memo's; stock browser Bookmarks; current home screen folders, and several website links?not necessarily bookmarked?that I like to keep on my home screens.

For things like notes & S Memo's, etc. ? is it best possible to use a file management app, like ES File Explorer or File Expert, or maybe some app like My Backup Pro?

Also glad to see that the OP got things sorted. :)

michko

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I had same problem.... Factory reset fixed it.

Rest assured it happens on iPhone too, wife had problem with hers on last update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MOSHE TVITO