Most worthless update ever?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Have had JB on my N7 since it was release and it's fine. Had ICS on my S3 since late June and loved it. Never really missed anything on my S3 that I could do on my N7.

Since I updated the S3 to JB, it basically sucks _ss.

1. The reason I left iOS was for Google's excellent voice to text which crushes iOS in speed and accuracy. While driving I was easily able to dictate texts, emails, Facebook posts etc. Now with JB, they disabled Google voice to text when connected to the car's bluetooth. WTF? This and this alone may be the reason I go back to ICS.

2. Swype which was my favorite keyboard used Nuance voice to text, which is now eliminated in favor of the disable Google. LAME

3. Widget Locker, one of THE most popular apps doesn't play nice with JB. You would think they would have worked that out prior to release.

4. Google Now...what does it do exactly that Google Voice didnt do before? The cards seem to have a mind of their own and appear when they feel like regardless of settings.

Overall, very lame update and unless #1 gets fixed in the next few days, I will go back to ICS.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
No chance I will do that. Lose all my settings, text messages etc. They shouldn't have released the update until the kinks were worked out.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Driving mode doesn't work. Cant even find any settings for it.

Can you confirm that Google Voice Typing works with a bluetooth connection after a factory reset or are you speculating?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Driving mode doesn't work. Cant even find any settings for it.

Can you confirm that Google Voice Typing works with a bluetooth connection after a factory reset or are you speculating?

I am 85% sure it will fix it... factory resetting really does fix most problems

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Also go to Settings -> Language & Input -> Text to Speech Output
Make sure Driving Mode is on, then click on it and check all the settings you want

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
If you use S-voice or a similar app sure. Reset your phone like Smooth suggests, especially the battery. Back your important info up Number 1: Update it (already done I gather), take the battery out 40 minutes, put it back in and run it completely bone dry dead, make sure you have several hours free to charge it while it is off, restore your personal info, and it's fixed. Mine was terrible till I did this.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No chance I will do that. Lose all my settings, text messages etc. They shouldn't have released the update until the kinks were worked out.

There aren't "kinks" to work out, this update has been out for a very long time, AT&T just got it. More often than not, when you do an upgrade you have to do a factory reset or just put up with the issues.

Are you never going to get a new phone? You will lose all of that with a new phone. You can also back up all your text messages with Kies and then restore them, I did.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
No one has yet to confirm that after a factory reset, Google Voice to Text will work when connected to Bluetooth. Can someone who has actually done it please confirm?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
There aren't "kinks" to work out, this update has been out for a very long time, AT&T just got it. More often than not, when you do an upgrade you have to do a factory reset or just put up with the issues.

Are you never going to get a new phone? You will lose all of that with a new phone. You can also back up all your text messages with Kies and then restore them, I did.

I've been around the update block a time or 2 so I respectfully disagree with your assertion that a hard reset is usually necessary. It seems half assed to me. Nothing wrong with ICS.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been around the update block a time or 2 so I respectfully disagree with your assertion that a hard reset is usually necessary. It seems half assed to me. Nothing wrong with ICS.

Well almost everyone, including the manufacturer, would disagree with you. Many, many people do a reset automatically right after the upgrade. It's not unusual to need to do that after a major OS upgrade and this was a very major one, even though there aren't a lot of noticeable changes.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No one has yet to confirm that after a factory reset, Google Voice to Text will work when connected to Bluetooth. Can someone who has actually done it please confirm?

No idea, I don't use bluetooth, except for my Parrot system I have installed in my car and my Google Voice text works just fine with it.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Neither the carrier nor the manufacturer recommended a hard reset to me. In fact, if you google this issue it is fairly widespread and no one that I saw claims a hard reset will fix it.

Well almost everyone, including the manufacturer, would disagree with you. Many, many people do a reset automatically right after the upgrade. It's not unusual to need to do that after a major OS upgrade and this was a very major one, even though there aren't a lot of noticeable changes.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I refer back to them alot of personal and business reasons, ok?

Yeah, whatever about the reset, it's the first thing that Tier 2 help at AT&T will tell you to do after an upgrade if there are issues.

Again, text can be backed up on your computer and restored in less than 5 minutes total time, through Kies.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, whatever about the reset, it's the first thing that Tier 2 help at AT&T will tell you to do after an upgrade if there are issues.

Again, text can be backed up on your computer and restored in less than 5 minutes total time, through Kies.

Kies is not letting me back up. gives me errors. Odd since I just used Kies to do the JB update.

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Neither the carrier nor the manufacturer recommended a hard reset to me. In fact, if you google this issue it is fairly widespread and no one that I saw claims a hard reset will fix it.
Almost everyone that had problems has done it and it's in just about any JB/GS3 thread you open. Samsung does indeed advise you to do this if you're having troubles after an update, it's right there on their own site and posted up here in threads as well. Everyone of us replying to you have told you this after doing it ourselves. One guy even confirmed the text to speech and Bluetooth works but it's "not confirmed anywhere"? :confused:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon