Just a few questions...

Lindsey Frock

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I am new to the samsung galaxy s3,still fidgeting and messing with things. Wondering if i should update to jellybean of just keep ics, and if i do update , which things should I uninstall before i do so? Im running nova launcher, swiftkey keyboard, and go sms pro. Those are the main apps besides some games, widgets, and themes. Will everything be deleted?

Also I cannot for the life of me figure out how I did this, but I input text on my lock screen, it allowed me to type a little message, whatever you feel like putting.. Well I cant figure out how to change it now. I have nova launcher but i can't find it in those settings either. The text, on the lock screen, is located right under the date and time. Any advice would be helpful! thank you!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central

You are sooner or later going to be updated whether or not you want to. You cannot put it off forever.

If you do the OTA you will not lose anything. It will update everything in the background and restore things as you have them. I will say this. I think the best way to do it, the way that causes the least amount of problems, is doing a full factory reset (wiping out everything), take the OTA, and then doing another reset and setting everythign back up from scratch. You can back most things up with google, your sdcard (internal and external) will not be wiped so those things are safe.

I would say take the OTA and then if you have problems do the resets.

The lockscreen thing is owner info under the lockscreen settings.

Lindsey Frock

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
How would i go about backing up my stuff? And i tried to do a software update, or i checked anyways and it said that no software update was available... I thought maybe the only way to upgrade would be over kies...? And thank you SO MUCH for the owner information tip, that was driving me crazy!

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Googles servers will automatically backup data belonging to Gapps(Google Apps) as long as you have permitted them to do so. For example, when you sync your contacts with google as long as you sign in using your Google account info all those contacts will re-populate. As the previous poster said, when doing an official update all of your data will transfer unscathed from one version to the next. There are apps in the play store that can help with backing up data as well. I use titanium backup but you need to be rooted to use that. However, you may want to look at Mybackup pro(u may not need root). If you have pics and videos on the external sd card those will be safe unless you format your card. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

hydrogen3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
AT&T is now offering the OTA? I thought you could only update via Keis?

Welcome to Android Central

You are sooner or later going to be updated whether or not you want to. You cannot put it off forever.

If you do the OTA you will not lose anything. It will update everything in the background and restore things as you have them. I will say this. I think the best way to do it, the way that causes the least amount of problems, is doing a full factory reset (wiping out everything), take the OTA, and then doing another reset and setting everythign back up from scratch. You can back most things up with google, your sdcard (internal and external) will not be wiped so those things are safe.

I would say take the OTA and then if you have problems do the resets.

The lockscreen thing is owner info under the lockscreen settings.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
4.1.1 at last report is only through Kies. 4.1.2 will probably be OTA after being on Kies as it sounds like a smaller update.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I am new to the samsung galaxy s3,still fidgeting and messing with things. Wondering if i should update to jellybean of just keep ics, and if i do update , which things should I uninstall before i do so? Im running nova launcher, swiftkey keyboard, and go sms pro. Those are the main apps besides some games, widgets, and themes. Will everything be deleted?

Also I cannot for the life of me figure out how I did this, but I input text on my lock screen, it allowed me to type a little message, whatever you feel like putting.. Well I cant figure out how to change it now. I have nova launcher but i can't find it in those settings either. The text, on the lock screen, is located right under the date and time. Any advice would be helpful! thank you!

You will be fine updating. Download the latest version of Kies to your pc. Use the OEM cable that came with the GS3. Enable USB debugging. Open Kies. Connect your GS3.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
When you are done, disable screen update and strict mode in Developer Options. Pull the battery and leave it out for two minutes. Restart your phone. Update complete.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan