Default keyboard issue

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I ended up selling my S3 and jumped to the N4. I have no issues with swiftkey staying default keyboard on the N4. It has to be a Samsung/ATT software issue.

Your Nexus 4 is probably on 4.2.2...as mentioned, this issue is with 4.1 and has been fixed in 4.2...so that's why you don't have the issue.

Appoholic

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
just so everyone knows it is not a problem with swift keyboard. I use Ultra keyboard and I have the same issue with the phone resetting back to the Samsung keyboard. I'm sure there's some wayto answer a code into your phoneso it will give you accesstwo disabling the Samsungkeyboard.the developers know all kinds of tricks for doing things on your phone. I've seen them do it to another one of my phone the front of me. Not a keyboard issue but something else. So it is definitely the Samsung 4.1 .1 and not your keyboard

Matt Lytle

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I always use Thumb Keyboard, and it's doing the exact same thing. Everytime I reboot the phone it goes back to the stock keyboard.

So we know it's not an issue with the certain keyboard. It's obviously a problem with JellyBean.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I always use Thumb Keyboard, and it's doing the exact same thing. Everytime I reboot the phone it goes back to the stock keyboard.

So we know it's not an issue with the certain keyboard. It's obviously a problem with JellyBean.

Or with Samsung. I've been using Swype Beta for a couple years and never had this problem. I just bought the official Swype release through the play store, and now every time I reboot the phone, it defaults back to Samsung keyboard. I wish there was a way to disable that. :/

neopanther

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
There is a work around if your phone is rooted. I used Titanium backup to create an. apk file, then install it using that file rather than directly from the Play Store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

This is the best suggestion and I can't believe you didn't get likes for this. I hadn't updated my phone since December. It's been rooted the entire time. I noticed that the minute I did it this nagging problem persisted. It cleaned up the problem on the spot. Thank you!

bombel89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi I dont know if it help You, but for me works.(Firstly I froze my default keyboard.) When I installed my SwiftKey on my smartphone memory instead of storage card memory, and checked it as default keybord, problem dissapeared. After reboot android remeber all keyboard settings. Please check and revert, if it works for You.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Has anybody been noticing this is happening MORE often now? I'm finding that when apps update without rebooting the phone, the keyboard is switching to the stock one instead of Swiftkey..it's really getting annoying..I'm sure if I chat with Samsung support they're going to tell me to do a factory reset which I do NOT want to do...Maybe when we get the 4.3 update this will be fixed :)

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
That is actually an android issue. Every time an app updates, it erases the default status. I don't find it that annoying, especially when I compare it to the stock keyboard

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Mojoski

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
FYI: Early reports on the 4.3 update say this issue is fixed in that new Android update for the AT&T S3.. See update thread in this forum for more info...

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk 4

djlen

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat with all of you. I've been trying to make SwiftKey my default for a month or so and
it won't stay as default. I do tend to turn off my phone almost every night and wasn't aware that that can add
to the issue, but I've also reset it during the day and still it reverts to the android board whenever it feels like it.
I love Swiftkey but am finding that Swype works very similarly to it and will use that until there is a fix for Swiftkey
on my Samsung Rugby Android.
If anyone come up with a fix please advise.

Regards,
Len

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Its not just a Swiftkey problem - it is a problem with any purchased app. I also had it on Swype's paid play store version. I use Business Calendar Pro and the phone kept reverting to the stock calendar. Other forums say its because Google Play installs paid apps in a location not seen during the process of booting up and loading defaults. It does not happen with downloaded free apps.
On my S3, I just lived with it, and it has been fixed with the update to 4.3.

djlen

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Well, I had the same issue with the free/trial version before I bought the paid version.
Last night I had an on line chat with a rep. from Samsung and here is what I was told to do. Shut down the
device>remove the battery>replace the battery>go to settings>language and keyboard>select input method>
select SwiftKey. Although it seemed to me that I'd done the several times previously, this time it seems to have
worked. I used it all day today without a problem. Seems like it's now recognized as my default.

Regards,
Len

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I just started using TouchPal..... so far it's awesome, I like it a whole lot better than Swiftkey or kii

Sent from my SM-T210R using AC Forums mobile app

djlen

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
After a couple of days since I reset the device with a rep. from Samsung I have to say that I now believe
that it is indeed being recognized as the default keyboard. It has not reverted back to the android board
even though I've re-started the device a few times during this period.

Vern441

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I tried using these steps on my Samsung Galaxy SII SPH-D710BST on Boost Mobile, and like yourself have tried the exact same procedure before in the past, but it still didn't work.

Posted via my Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy SII SPH-D710BST

djlen

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I tried using these steps on my Samsung Galaxy SII SPH-D710BST on Boost Mobile, and like yourself have tried the exact same procedure before in the past, but it still didn't work.

Posted via my Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy SII SPH-D710BST

Try calling Samsung or go to their support page and click on chat. Explain the situation and tell them the
make/model of your phone. Maybe there is a different procedure for a Galaxy.
This worked for me when no one else could help me.

MANIMOZHI

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I am also having the same issue. I am using Go Keyboard and set this as default keyboard. When I reboot the phone the stock Android Keyboard only active and again I have to go to settings and change the Go Keyboard as default keyboard.

Arthur Glazer

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
My Galaxy 5 suddenly reverts back to the POS Samsung keyboard - a tiny version of it too for some reason....extremely annoying. Twice daily I switch it over to have Swype as my default, but to no avail. WTF?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool