Default keyboard issue

bigstormgirl

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Under storage I hit clear data, try that!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

That is what I did. Then rebooted, and back to stock keyboard. Tried it several times. So far, the only cure is never reboot or restart. This issue has been reported since June (noticed it posted on Swiftkey website), but no fix except to download Swiftkey Flow beta. Swiftkey Flow does work properly, but the beta is expiring tomorrow, so back to Swiftkey3 and the same problem.

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
That is what I did. Then rebooted, and back to stock keyboard. Tried it several times. So far, the only cure is never reboot or restart. This issue has been reported since June (noticed it posted on Swiftkey website), but no fix except to download Swiftkey Flow beta. Swiftkey Flow does work properly, but the beta is expiring tomorrow, so back to Swiftkey3 and the same problem.

I'm having the same issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Can you disable the stock keyboard? If the phone doesn't have access to it, it probably can't default back to it. Just a thought.

bigstormgirl

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Can you disable the stock keyboard? If the phone doesn't have access to it, it probably can't default back to it. Just a thought.

I thought of that too, but the disable button is not highlighted, only the force stop. For other apps, in order to get the disable button highlighted, you need to uninstall the updates. But with the samsung keyboard, I have not found a way to do this. Maybe there is no way on stock samsung apps, not sure.

simba115

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
There is a work around if your phone is rooted. I used Titanium backup to create an. apk file, then install it using that file rather than directly from the Play Store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
There is a work around if your phone is rooted. I used Titanium backup to create an. apk file, then install it using that file rather than directly from the Play Store.

Can anyone confirm this works?

If it does, it seems like something Swiftkey would be able to use to create a software workaround for the issue?

Why wouldn't they be able to have a temporary Swiftkey option to auto reset the default to Swiftkey on startup?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well folks the clear data (cache) didn't work for me either and Samsung support doesn't show any known issues with this since the 4.1 update. Seems to me it points to the Swiftkey 3 app rather than the update.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

I thought of that too, but the disable button is not highlighted, only the force stop. For other apps, in order to get the disable button highlighted, you need to uninstall the updates. But with the samsung keyboard, I have not found a way to do this. Maybe there is no way on stock samsung apps, not sure.

This actually led me to another solution...though it has similar requirements.

I didn't really want to uninstall and install from .apk - I believe you would lose your learned personalizations and it would lose the Play Store connect i.e. no updates.

I instead chose to try using Titanium Backup to FREEZE both Samsung Keyboard and Swype (since you can't disable them). So far it seems that this fixes it for me.

The problem is that when the phone boots up, Swiftkey is not yet available to the system (as a 3rd party app) when the default keyboard is chosen. It then defaults back to Samsung Keyboard. If you freeze both Samsung Keyboard and Swype, I presume it finds no keyboards available and sets nothing as default...and then when Swiftkey becomes available a few moments later it goes AHA there's a keyboard, default! At least that's how I imagine it lol.

k6rim

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
That app doesn't seem like much of a solution to the problem, since it requires manual intervention every time you reboot your phone.
You can accomplish the same thing without the app.

LOL. Since I don't have the problem, I hadn't actually looked closely at the app. Nonetheless, it does seem to be a bit easier to have that pop-up after reboot than to have to navigate through settings to get to the keyboard options. Whether that's worth a buck depends, I guess, on how frequently you reboot. I almost never do, so it wouldn't be a big issue for me even if I hadn't frozen the stock keyboard (requires root).

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
LOL. Since I don't have the problem, I hadn't actually looked closely at the app. Nonetheless, it does seem to be a bit easier to have that pop-up after reboot than to have to navigate through settings to get to the keyboard options. Whether that's worth a buck depends, I guess, on how frequently you reboot. I almost never do, so it wouldn't be a big issue for me even if I hadn't frozen the stock keyboard (requires root).

You'd think Swiftkey would have made a quick/easy free app for non-rooted users that would do this same thing...

It's easy enough to forget about it since I have root and was able to freeze the stock keyboards, but there are so many more non-rooted users out there who have no free fix for this. Swiftkey can lay the blame on Android, but it's not exactly easy for most users to update to 4.2...lol

Voliam

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I just realized I had this problem as well. Installing SwiftKey Flow Beta seems to have fixed the issue for me. However, the issue still remains when using the SwiftKey 3 app.
I have SK Flow v 4.0.0.106- not beta- and it still reverts to the Samsung KB on reboot. Additionally, doing a factory reset has no bearing on the issue because I never did a factory reset after JB 4.1.1 update, and have the same problem.

Razaqadri

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have SK Flow v 4.0.0.106- not beta- and it still reverts to the Samsung KB on reboot. Additionally, doing a factory reset has no bearing on the issue because I never did a factory reset after JB 4.1.1 update, and have the same problem.

Why don't you backup Samsung keyboard and uninstall it using Titanium backup

Sent while flowing through space

Voliam

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you backup Samsung keyboard and uninstall it using Titanium backup

Sent while flowing through space
I really don't have much of a problem with the issue since it's so easy to change it back. I don't reboot my phone often enough to be aggravated with it. Just offering my observations for others' benefit.

jay_g

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I ended up selling my S3 and jumped to the N4. I have no issues with swiftkey staying default keyboard on the N4. It has to be a Samsung/ATT software issue.