ICS vs JB

gonzo0203

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually it was no flash on ICS, but if you had a phone that already had it, and upgraded to ICS it still worked find. Adobe support officially died in ics

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Yes thats true. I did leave an open blank statement on that lol. So you're saying if it worked before, it should work after? I use Dolphin currently without any hiccups. So it should be ok then ? Sorry for all the questions, I do appreciate all the responses.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Upgrades are supposed to be better than the last, and in this case...it has definitely succeeded!

- Faster, Smoother performance (My phone apps have not crashed once, on ICS my apps crashed and force closed a LOT)
- Better UI, more easier to use
- Google Now (Very useful if you drive a lot, but also good to have for information)
- Notifications are much better

Other than that, its not much different than ICS, but the extra things are a great plus...if you have problems with your upgrade, just factory reset and it should all fix

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Upgrades are supposed to be better than the last, and in this case...it has definitely succeeded!

- Faster, Smoother performance (My phone apps have not crashed once, on ICS my apps crashed and force closed a LOT)
- Better UI, more easier to use
- Google Now (Very useful if you drive a lot, but also good to have for information)
- Notifications are much better

Other than that, its not much different than ICS, but the extra things are a great plus...if you have problems with your upgrade, just factory reset and it should all fix

How's your battery life?

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll throw my yay into the mix, too. JB > ICS

I like a number of the improvements, but three of them are well worth the time, effort, and factory wipe: Google Now, Blocking Mode, and Low-Light setting on the camera. I really like Smart Rotate, too. These features are all outstanding and make the phone more usable.

Every update will come with some cons, but the ones I've experienced are very minor:
  1. The screen timeout and locking settings are at odds and glitch each other out. If you try to set it so that the screen locks at some point after it times out, then the timeout time goes down to about 10 seconds. If you set the lock to happen at the time of the timeout, then it works fine.
  2. A couple apps didn't work. Grave Defense and Bejeweled 2. I emailed the devs of Grave Defense, and they put out a working update that same day. I don't care about Bejewled, so I just uninstalled it.
  3. Battery life got slightly worse. But after a factory reset, the battery life is the best it's been since I bought the phone. Sucks to have to do a factory reset, but the phone works flawlessly now.

I would whole-heartedly recommend this update.

mtech5

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd say update. I think JB is better. Do the update, factor reset then it's smooth sailing from there. And my battery life is much better since the update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
As I have mentioned in other posts, the brightness is higher with JB compared to ICS, so if you had your phone at 40 percent with ICS, you could have your phone all the way down on brightness, or maybe one notch up(10 percent?) and it would be just as bright as before. This drains the battery if you are not paying attention. In other cases, a filesystem error on a MicroSD card can cause "Media" to draw a LOT of battery life.

Other than those obvious sources of battery drain, JB is a very nice improvement. Now, to avoid the risk of potential problems, before you do the update, uninstall any keyboards, anti-virus, and launchers(such as Nova) just to make sure that the upgrade process doesn't break these apps. If an app breaks DURING the update process, then it will seem like the upgrade itself was the source of the problems.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Just got finished with the update. Was about a three hour process from installing Kies on laptop to getting my accounts, homescreens, wallpaper, etc., back to where I want them. Nothing really difficult, just time-consuming especially considering that I use all seven of my homescreens to categorize apps and their functions. (Fortunately my wife took the kids out of the house for awhile)

Definitely a little more crisp and better flow. I've been using 4.2.1 on my Nexus 7 for two weeks already so my experience is a little muddled.

My Adobe flashplayer is of course the only obvious casualty (that and the fact that I forgot to back up some of texts). Have to determine whether I want to sideload the player and use the Firefox workaround that works my N7.

Definitely would recommend the update for any of you fencesitters out there. If you have the time just go ahead and do it.
Install Kies in PC
Connect S3 to PC via USB to make sure Firmware Update prompt is there then cancel
Factory Reset
Connect to PC via USB again and begin firmware update
Go make a sandwich, grow a beard, and get account passwords handy
Factory Reset again when finished
Enjoy your new phone all over again

EDIT: The new Samsung Swype keyboard is great. I was going to go back to my swype beta because the other Samsung keyboard was terrible. This is worth the update alone.

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Battery pull more effective than reset. Resets are a last resort.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

cosmos0001

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
don't update until they figure out what you're going to do with Flash Player every website goto seems to need it not having flash players sucks

peelersx

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I would also add that JB also broke sd card too. Cant read music from sd card from a lot of apps, some have trouble viewing pics too, can anyone check that?

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I would also add that JB also broke sd card too. Cant read music from sd card from a lot of apps, some have trouble viewing pics too, can anyone check that?

I did not have that problem, fortunately. Did you do a factory reset?
You may have to take the card out, format it and start from scratch.

gonzo0203

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I did the update on Saturday and have to say WOW. Definitely would recommend the update.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I did the update on Saturday and have to say WOW. Definitely would recommend the update.

Agreed. I wish I had done it sooner. Love having a true Swype keyboard back.
It's like getting a whole new phone again.

The only downside is the flashplayer. I tried the workaround with Firefox that I used for my Nexus 7. It worked great while in Firefox, but then it completely destabilized Touch Wiz and I had to uninstall it.

gonzo0203

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
There was a link I have it bookmarked at home that allowed you to load flash player. Although funny thing is I haven't had any issue. I've browsed the Web last few and had no hiccups. Any particular site I could test it out? Although I'm not using the stock browser, using dolphin hd with jetpack

gonzo0203

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I did not have that problem, fortunately. Did you do a factory reset?
You may have to take the card out, format it and start from scratch.

And I can say I didn't have that problem either. I did the upgrade and factory reset though. No hiccups, minus one. When I restart the device, it takes away SwiftKey being my default. I have to re select it every time after a restart. I saw post other day about it but don't know of there was a fix for it

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
There was a link I have it bookmarked at home that allowed you to load flash player. Although funny thing is I haven't had any issue. I've browsed the Web last few and had no hiccups. Any particular site I could test it out? Although I'm not using the stock browser, using dolphin hd with jetpack

Try Monoface monoface
You might as well be entertained while testing

Dolphin will not allow you to enable the plugin. You'll have to use Firefox or perhaps Boat Browser

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX