Awful battery life after Jelly Bean update.

tplace 1976

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
How likely is it that the battery issue isn't just a result of the battery itself? I have been on JB since it came out (granted, I got the phone and updated on the same day, so it was running JB on a brand new phone) and it has ran great until about 5 days ago. No changes to apps, settings, and now I am lucky to get 6 hours out of the phone. As of this morning with responding to 1 text message, and viewing/clearing my notifications, I'm down to 52% battery after 2hrs 16min of use.

Sashreek

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually my battery life increased after the update I used to get 3-4 hrs of screen time before the update but now I am easily getting around 5 1/2 - 6 hrs of screen time, and that too with moderate to heavy usage.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

tplace 1976

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So after my post on the 52% after 2:16, I let my battery drain to dead overnight (sat dead most of the night). I plugged it in to a full charge this morning, and now after approx 2hrs off the charger, I'm only down to 91%. Is it a case of a "battery reset" via drain to dead? Not sure, but it's worked for me. I'll have to try this again the next time I have an issue to see if it holds true.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S3 for just a week. I did an OTA update to Jelly Bean. The battery seemed to be doing pretty well. However, last night, I charged the phone to 100% prior to going to sleep ~ 1 am. When I woke up @ 7 am, the battery was @ 40%. WTF?? I didn't do anything differently. I didn't have any processes running overnite. My phone is connected to my wireless router. My prior iPhone 3G never experienced such a rapid battery drain. I charged it up to 100% @ work ~ 1000 am. Now it's 6 3/4 hrs later and the battery is @ 75%. My phone connects to my workplace wireless. I keep bluetooth on all the time (as I did with my prior phone). I did also notice that when I got home around 6:30 last nite, the phone was @ 40%, but within a couple hours, it drained to 7%.

I hope last nite was just an abberation. I'm going to see what happens tonite and the next few days.

Update 1/24/13:

When I got home ~ 740 pm, battery @ 64%. There was a rapid drain to where the battery was dead ~ 1 am (6 hr later). This only happened the last couple nites. Here is a screenshot:

Screenshot_2013-01-24-00-50-48_zps28ebf82f.png

Where it says "14 h 5 m..... battery", right above the "e" in "battery" is probably when I arrived home. You can see the more steep downward decline. I disabled Samsung push as someone suggested above. Tomorrow, I will take the battery out and reseat it.

Last edited:

delly86

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
It because the new update so many running on the bg all you need it spend time try to disable some of then asap. also check what it running on the app application.

one more thing make sure you in deep sleep mode, my it close 98% try to dw app call cpu spy plus.and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and check how many % at deep sleep

DanB1969

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I finally caved and did a factory reset. It makes a world of difference. Battery life is much improved, and I still have the benefits of the Jelly Bean upgrade. A little bit of a pain, but it fixed all of my battery problems.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. I am new to the forums and really need help. I just got my Galaxy S3 two days ago from a Verizon store. I love it, except the battery life is horrendous. I have done many things to try to conserve it like disabling features and downloading juice defender. The battery life was much better since, but it is still bad compared to my old iPhone. I get7 hours and 13 minutes on battery with 9 percent left. My screen time on is 4 hours and 22 minutes at 9 percent. My display is using 43 percent of power, the Android OS is using 17 percent, and the internet is using 9 percent. Is my battery/phone defective? What do I do? Thank you!:)

RobbieL811

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I am new to the forums and really need help. I just got my Galaxy S3 two days ago from a Verizon store. I love it, except the battery life is horrendous. I have done many things to try to conserve it like disabling features and downloading juice defender. The battery life was much better since, but it is still bad compared to my old iPhone. I get7 hours and 13 minutes on battery with 9 percent left. My screen time on is 4 hours and 22 minutes at 9 percent. My display is using 43 percent of power, the Android OS is using 17 percent, and the internet is using 9 percent. Is my battery/phone defective? What do I do? Thank you!:)

Over 4hrs of screen on time is pretty damn good for the Galaxy S3! I wouldn't complain too much about that. What was your screen brightness set to?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Well basically my phone today died at 3 PM. It's 4 hours of screen on time then like 3 more hours of standby then it's dead. My brightness is set to about 25 percent. Using juice defender pro.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

RobbieL811

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Well basically my phone today died at 3 PM. It's 4 hours of screen on time then like 3 more hours of standby then it's dead. My brightness is set to about 25 percent. Using juice defender pro.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

That's still pretty good. You may wanna invest in an extended battery or carry your charger w/ you if you use your phone that much. You can probably do a lot better than that w/ an extended battery. Have you thought about rooting & installing another kernel that will allow you to undervolt your device. That's what I do. It has seemed to help my battery out a pretty good bit.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

lisa perry1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
ive been having the same problem with my lg optimus L9 since i got the jelly bean update my battery life also for some reasoon when my phone is under 60% it shut offs by itself only way i turn it back is by taking the battery out n putting it back in i just bought a new battery for my phone cause ever the update my phone wasnt working with the update i want the ice ccrean sandwich back

lisa perry1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
i have the same problem with my lg optimus L9 my battery life is at under 60% n my phone goes off n the only way i can turn it back on is when i take the battery out n put it back in then my phone was working at all with the battery so i went n bought a new battery n it works but still having the same problems with this update i want to go back to the ice cream sndwich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy