'sgh-i747 does not support initializing'

sb44

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone found a fix for this message? I downloaded Kies from Samsung, installed it on my computer, successfully connected to my sgh-I747(galaxy s 3) and Kies does not give me the upgrade pop-up. When I go to tools and try to manually start a firmware upgrade I get the following error message "sgh-i747 does not support initializing". I am trying to update to jellybean. I'm on AT&T and my phone is all stock. Any help would be appreciated.

fernmonster

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I do not have an answer, but need to express that I have the exact same issue. It all started with the clipboard not working issue - in hopes that updating to Jellybean would solve it.
After finding out the kies is the only way to upgrade - I've been trying to go through the motions and getting that foul message 'sgh-i747 does not support initializing'.
?!?!
Have tried several uninstall/reinstall of kies (as seen in other forums) with no success.
Does Samsung or AT&T have any support sites that address this?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I do not have an answer, but need to express that I have the exact same issue. It all started with the clipboard not working issue - in hopes that updating to Jellybean would solve it.
After finding out the kies is the only way to upgrade - I've been trying to go through the motions and getting that foul message 'sgh-i747 does not support initializing'.
?!?!
Have tried several uninstall/reinstall of kies (as seen in other forums) with no success.
Does Samsung or AT&T have any support sites that address this?

Restart your computer,
Try a different cable,
Try a different usb port
Its usually a connection problem

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Kies and the Samsung drivers have some issues with certain computer chipsets. NVIDIA chipsets are a bit of a hit and miss, where you CAN get things working, but you may run into a number of problems. There are others that also have issues.

So, here is the checklist of things to check for prior to doing the JB update:
1) Uninstall any antivirus on the phone
2) turn off any firewall software on the computer
3) If you have problems with the connection, use the USB ports on the BACK of the computer, or on the other side of the laptop. USB ports tend to come in sets, and some may work while others do not.
4) Make sure you are using Kies from an account with administrator permissions. You don't have to be on as the Administrator account, but you can't be using a limited or standard user account.

Check your cable, is it the original that came with your phone? Try a different one.

Try those and see if they help.

fernmonster

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
OK - I will try uninstalling the antivirus on the phone (avast).
Not sure if I can turn-off the firewall (not my laptop:-[) - maybe I can try it from my wife's laptop at home tonight.
Thanks for the pointers, I will check in tomorrow with an update.

Kies and the Samsung drivers have some issues with certain computer chipsets. NVIDIA chipsets are a bit of a hit and miss, where you CAN get things working, but you may run into a number of problems. There are others that also have issues.

So, here is the checklist of things to check for prior to doing the JB update:
1) Uninstall any antivirus on the phone
2) turn off any firewall software on the computer
3) If you have problems with the connection, use the USB ports on the BACK of the computer, or on the other side of the laptop. USB ports tend to come in sets, and some may work while others do not.
4) Make sure you are using Kies from an account with administrator permissions. You don't have to be on as the Administrator account, but you can't be using a limited or standard user account.

Check your cable, is it the original that came with your phone? Try a different one.

Try those and see if they help.

fernmonster

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
OK - I will try uninstalling the antivirus on the phone (avast).
Not sure if I can turn-off the firewall (not my laptop:-[) - maybe I can try it from my wife's laptop at home tonight.
Thanks for the pointers, I will check in tomorrow with an update.

OK - got it!
It did take me installing Kies on my wife's laptop (no firewall).
I also had uninstalled my antivirus on the S3.
Kies needed the latest version update - but other than that, it recognized that the phone needed the firmware update right away.
Jelly Bean is pretty neat... too bad it's so much work for us AT&T users to get it.

PS
The Clipboard works fine now... :cool:

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad I could help. Too many people forget that anything that might get in the way or interrupt the process should be taken off, which is where anti-virus, firewalls, keyboards on the phone, launchers, and other things like that will be the source of many issues during the update process.

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
so far nothing has worked for me. using original cables have tried 8 usb ports. stuck on 4.1.2 after removing a root on 4.2.2 it sucks!!!!!! if anyone has any ideas ill listen! SGH-I747M on Rogers

Paolo

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane