Exchange Services chewing up Battery - Seriously?

pnd4pnd

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Just got my S3 yesterday and pretty much in shock this bug is out there. I've searched high and low and can't find a solution to this. How can samsung put out a phone where Exchange email doesn't work (well works but kills the battery) ? I otherwise love the phone, but this is a dealbreaker for me.

Does CM10 fix this issue? Any pointers to fixes or workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey Eric ?

There must be some fix for it ? that some member here will hopefully be able to direct you towards.
Unless you have to use the MS Exchange Server MAPI accounts ? as they're currently set-up for your work or business MS Outlook ? you can access POP3, IMAP and Windows Live Hotmail accounts via Microsoft Outlook 2010;

. . . when I set-up my GS3, I chose 'Other' instead of the Microsoft 'Exchange' Server option. Then I set-up my three Windows Live IMAP accounts and they've been working flawlessly and fantastic, with no related and/or excessive battery drain whatsoever. However, I have read where many have also had problems with POP3, IMAP & Windows Live accounts syncing, so I'm not really sure what's going on with MS and/or the MS Exchange Server bug. The MS Forum Moderator, in this case, was talking about Samsung (and other OEM's), as well all EAS Clients needing to be 'fully compatible to EAS protocol 14 to function correctly.' Whatever that means. :confused:

Anyhoo, (notwithstanding how they DID NOT work or sync on my GS2 Skyrocket), I've had zero problems with my three Windows Live IMAP accounts ? on the GS3. They've always sync'd-up & downloaded perfectly like Bam! . . and without excessive battery drain.

Lane L

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Could it be constantly checking for new mail instead of using push like Gmail? That's the first thing that I thought of.

Paul N1

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same issue, its ridiculous something this basic is broken. The battery in settings shows exchange services using 84%....
And it seems like the exchange emails are constantly reloading. Any fix our there ?

DeeDeeJones5

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Eric,
I have exactly the same issue. Am on my 2nd GIII in 4 days...same problem. Odd that some of us have the issue but most do not. Others in my company love the phone and have long battery life. Please let me know if you hear of a fix. I will also escalate within my corp IT.
Thanks!

pnd4pnd

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Deedee,

It could be related to recurring events in your calendar. Try removing any recurring events and see if the problem still exists. I went back to my iphone for now.

Eric

anon(631408)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I had the same issue with my G3 and it was driving me nuts. After reading some information about the Exchange issues that people are having they suggested to turn off PUSH and change it to check every 15 minutes. With this change (only change) I went from the phone dying in 3 hours to lasting me all day. I do think there is a bug there but my phone was running hot and the battery was dying. I am very happy now.

PDADoctor

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I was noticing this as well, that my battery life was (is) abysmal. Unfortunately, because of my particular work, a fifteen minute poll is too long between messages.

One other thing I've noticed is that the Exchange and IMAP functions on the S III don't work properly: when messages are deleted off the device, it takes forever for them to reconcile on the server. I've tried this numerous times while sitting in front of my computer, and there is a noticeable lag. On my iPhone 4S it worked perfectly.

Still, I'm more than happy to be free of Apple's restrictive ecosystem and the nonsense that went with it!

Loving Android, and I'm never going back!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 using Tapatalk HD

dpmcmull

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue, but noticed that it doesn't seem as bad on WiFi as on cellular data. Have you seen similar results? I read elsewhere that reloading the OS would fix it - yeah, I really don't want to reload all my apps & configure them. I've tried changing from Push to 15 minutes & will see what that does...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC