AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

k6rim

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, look at what the Samsung web site said recently:

This update is available through Windows and Mac computers using the Samsung Kies software application only. This update will not be made available over-the-air.

SAMSUNG

I would call the above information (from Samsung's web site) .... WRONG.

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Thanks Like

Samsung isn't wrong.. It was available on Kias.. Att just started the OTA.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This update is available through Windows and Mac computers using the Samsung Kies software application only. This update will not be made available over-the-air.

SAMSUNG

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Thanks Like

att could have said we won't do OTA then changed their minds On Samsung.

I think Verizon was OTA and I know Sprint was as well.. So i would assume that's why Samsung said that for ATT. Unless that is under all of the carriers then yeah they are completely wrong lol.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
How were they "bumping up their dates" on their phones? How would you do that? Could I accidentally do that? What does that mean? Sorry for all the questions. ;)

Btw, I haven't checked on the "check for updates" yet, coz I haven't done the factory reset yet, that you & others have suggested doing before and after updating. Been meaning to, but got tired of trying to figure-out what file management app to choose, a few weeks ago, and then forgot about it all. Actually, until recently, my ICS has been running great. Don't know if you saw that post I made about recently getting some weird black screens, and then five home screens with NO apps anywhere ? just five empty TW live wallpaper screens?

If you go to your time and date settings and take it off automatic, you can set it to any time and date you want.

Seems like I have read before about some people with an S3 having these issues of a black screen, like it was some kind of freezing almost. I can't remember now where I saw that and if JB update took care of it or if there was something else that did. One thing, I just automatically cut off my phone for at least 1 min (not just restart) every couple of days, even though it is supposed to handle RAM well. Also, I've been having some issues with chrome lately, just finally removed it, but if there was an app you were using when or right before this happened and you remember, you might want to go into app management and go to the app and just clear the cache for that app.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T is now pushing JB update OTA...

SAMSUNG

Seriously we are going to argue about this? smh

No, Samsung was not wrong, AT&T was clear they were NOT going to release it OTA. They were COVERED UP with calls with people having Kies issues back when it was released and seems they changed their minds and did pretty quickly, because as I said, the "ICU" techs and those way above Tier 3, had no idea that JB was coming out OTA. They had been told always, no OTA release.

But seriously, does it actually MATTER?

- - - Updated - - -

att could have said we won't do OTA then changed their minds On Samsung.

I think Verizon was OTA and I know Sprint was as well.. So i would assume that's why Samsung said that for ATT. Unless that is under all of the carriers then yeah they are completely wrong lol.

Wasn't under all the carriers then, only AT&T ;)

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
If you go to your time and date settings and take it off automatic, you can set it to any time and date you want.
Oh! :eek:. . . the old time & date thing, huh? lol Yeeeeees, I should've known.

Seems like I have read before about some people with an S3 having these issues of a black screen, like it was some kind of freezing almost. I can't remember now where I saw that and if JB update took care of it or if there was something else that did. One thing, I just automatically cut off my phone for at least 1 min (not just restart) every couple of days, even though it is supposed to handle RAM well. Also, I've been having some issues with chrome lately, just finally removed it, but if there was an app you were using when or right before this happened and you remember, you might want to go into app management and go to the app and just clear the cache for that app.
Yeah, seems like I read about the same thing regarding the black screen, but can't remember where I saw it either. I suppose I could do a search, if I felt energetic enough. ;)
My BS (that's: black screen, of course) issue did start after I updated Rocket Player & Classic Notes. And tbh, I forgot you could roll-back updates, until I read yours and someone else's posts up above.

And thanks for the reminder, Kelly. ;) I forgot about the old 'clear the cache' ploy! ;)

mordyb

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I just successfully updated. After looking through I noticed there is no longer a"mobile data" toggle is there anyway I can get that back? I use that pretty frequently and I'm disappointed about that

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I just successfully updated. After looking through I noticed there is no longer a"mobile data" toggle is there anyway I can get that back? I use that pretty frequently and I'm disappointed about that

To that is gone, the only thing that we all figured out, is you can search the Play Store for "data toggle" and there are tons that you can put on one of your screens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
But you wouldn't be able to get it in the notification bar?

Nope, in my experience, with each upgrade, Samsung always ends up removing something from the toggle that people use all the time, did it with Froyo to Gingerbread also.

One thing you can do it get a "toggle bar" and it will show up in the pull down shade, right under "on going". Someone had one, don't even know the name for it, but I'm sure there are tons in the play store. I had one with my old phone with gingerbread and had it at the top of my 2nd screen, don't even know if it had an option to show up in the notification shade or not. If you search for "notification widget" or "toggle widget" in the Play Store, then you can probably find one of several or start a new thread asking if anyone knows of a toggle widget that will show in the notification shade. I'm sure there are many that have them or know of some.

The one I remember seeing on the screenshot, was white in the pulldown shade.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Not as convenient as having it in the standard toggle bar but I'll have to deal with it. Thanks

Well don't know if this is the one I saw before, but when you pulled down the shade, he had a 2nd toggle bar. I've done just a toggle button before. On gingerbread they removed the ringer/vibrate/silent toggle and I found a toggle button for just that. I put it on my 2nd page, I keep my main screen blank with only the BW weather on it, and it lined up with the app shortcuts I had, fit right in as the first one. I'm also picky about things being "even" and that was important to me lol

mordyb

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Well don't know if this is the one I saw before, but when you pulled down the shade, he had a 2nd toggle bar. I've done just a toggle button before. On gingerbread they removed the ringer/vibrate/silent toggle and I found a toggle button for just that. I put it on my 2nd page, I keep my main screen blank with only the BW weather on it, and it lined up with the app shortcuts I had, fit right in as the first one. I'm also picky about things being "even" and that was important to me lol

Ya it comes up under the ongoing I only put in 2 toggles it also has nfc which is convenient which was never there

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I didnt know what Kies was so I disabled it along with a bunch of other bloatware, most of which I didnt know what it was either.

Glad I checked this thread.

In Florida downloading the update now.

Its about 15 minutes to download via wifi.

Strange I received no notification the update was available.

;)