Help, cannot turn on Google Now

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I just go the Galaxy S3 (refurb) on AT&T. It came with ICS. I did an OTA update to 4.1.1. I just ditched my iPhone 3G so I am not as familiar with Android.

I hold the home button and hen 3 icons show up on the bottom. I press the middle "g" (for google). Then, a google search bar comes up at the top of the screen. I press the bottom left capacitative button and then press "Settings". I see Google Now with "off" underneath it. I tap it, and then Google at the top, Get Google Now!. 2nd from the bottom, I click "Yes, I'm in". I get back to the search bar. It goes in an endless loop if I press the bottom left button. It looks like Google Now is off and I can't turn it on. I can't get cards to show up.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, or if I have a defective phone or a bug in the software.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Google Now is really kinda different with the JB update.

If you long press the menu button (the phone button to the left of your home button) it should pull up Google Now.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
BUT..I will add, this OTA update is about half the size of the Kies update and this is new, so not real sure of anything about this OTA update yet..it could be different than what I'm telling you. This is how you bring up Google Now with the big Kies JB update.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What happened when you held down that menu button? If you just click it, you get the pop up menu, but what happens on your phone when you hold it down?

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My issue that it doesn't do what is shown on the Google support page. When I get to the part where the Google search bar is, I press the bottom left menu button, and go to settings. It shows Google now is off. There is no button to toggle it on or off. If I tap it, it goes back to the search bar. I cannot setup the Google now cards (traffic, weather, etc). I'm pretty tech savvy, but I can't get this working.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My issue that it doesn't do what is shown on the Google support page. When I get to the part where the Google search bar is, I press the bottom left menu button, and go to settings. It shows Google now is off. There is no button to toggle it on or off. If I tap it, it goes back to the search bar. I cannot setup the Google now cards (traffic, weather, etc). I'm pretty tech savvy, but I can't get this working.

Ok, do you have an app icon called "Google" if you click that, it should bring up Google Now, it will say "Google" at the top with the search bar. Then click on your menu button 1 time, click settings. You will see Google Now listed, tap it, look to the right and there is an "on/off" button. I'll post a screenshot in just a sec.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358314692745.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358314692745.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 10
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358314714526.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358314714526.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 10
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358314763849.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358314763849.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 8

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Kelly, thanx for your help. From your pictures, I get something similar to the 1st pic, except underneath "Google Now", it says off. From your 2nd picture, I do not have an on/off button to toggle. I think my phone is set to auto-update, so I believe Google is up to date, but I'll check anyways.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Kelly, thanx for your help. From your pictures, I get something similar to the 1st pic, except underneath "Google Now", it says off. From your 2nd picture, I do not have an on/off button to toggle. I think my phone is set to auto-update, so I believe Google is up to date, but I'll check anyways.

Hmmm..not really sure then. One thing you might want to try is to go to the Application Manager, find the "Google Search" app, "clear the cache", if that doesn't work then go back and "clear data" if that doesn't work, go back again and "uninstall updates" and let the Play Store update it again. After that, I'm at a loss, I use the Google Voice more than Google Now.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I figured it out... you need to update the google search app. Then it should work. Exactly what Kelly said... I'm dumb.

I had read about needing the app updated and when I got a new phone and upgraded to JB, mine was one of the apps calling for an update. Also, just because you have autoupdates checked, doesn't always seem to do that for some reason.

roacknrolla

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh dear you lol I had the exact same problem as you have and I am glad to tell you that I have been able to solve it! Here is how: First Open the Play Store and then check for Installed Apps, then update everything you have there [which most certainly will include a manual 'Google Search' app] Ok, you try now.. :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanx, Kelly! You're a genius. I updated, and now all is well.

Anyone that calls me a genius is automatically my new BFF lol

Glad you got it working!

Like I said, I haven't used the actual Google Now much, I mainly just double click my home button and say "set alarm for 18 minutes" using it as a timer or say "text Jane Doe, i'm about 5 minutes away" or say "find whatever store" when I'm driving lol. Now if I could just say "get me a cup of coffee" and it would...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton