sound keeps muting!

muttchaser

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello all.
I hope
someone can help me figure out why this keeps happening. It's driving me crazy. This is my second phone in six weeks. Everything will be working fine and then I notice that no sounds are working on my phone. No ringtones, no alarms, no notifications, no screen sounds. I'm using the charger cable that came in the box and the headset that came in the box. Does anyone have any insight on this? Is anyone else experiencing this same problem? I love my phone but I want it to work right! The only apps I have on my phone are the same ones I had on my Captivate; Quickoffice, dropbox, repligo pdf reader, cloudprint, and zedge. What gives??

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello all.
I hope
someone can help me figure out why this keeps happening. It's driving me crazy. This is my second phone in six weeks. Everything will be working fine and then I notice that no sounds are working on my phone. No ringtones, no alarms, no notifications, no screen sounds. I'm using the charger cable that came in the box and the headset that came in the box. Does anyone have any insight on this? Is anyone else experiencing this same problem? I love my phone but I want it to work right! The only apps I have on my phone are the same ones I had on my Captivate; Quickoffice, dropbox, repligo pdf reader, cloudprint, and zedge. What gives??

That is odd, especially if you were having the exact same issue with the first phone. Are you rooted? What OS are you currently running? 4.1.1, 4.1.2?
Being it happened on 2 phones kind of leads me to believe it's user end not the phone. So let's break it down and figure out the cause

muttchaser

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I checked on my "repair" and they said a replacement device was sent but they didn't know if it was a NIB device or a refurbished device.

So, yes, let's break it down. You're right. If I asked for another device and the same thing happened then it's gotta be me!

Okee dokee. Running android version 4.1.1. Not rooted (because I'm chicken and don't mess with those things). I don't much mess with original settings 'cause I'm afraid of that too. Afraid I might blow something up and never be able to recover it!

The sounds muting mostly happens after charging with cable or after disengaging headset. It's almost like it still thinks I have a headset plugged in, but then I plug the headset back in and none of the screen sounds work. I have ripple effect enabled on unlocking and this disappears. I have to restart the phone for the sounds to come back. So HELP!!!

Thank you so much,
muttchaser

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It will probably be considered "refurbished" but with AT&T so far, every "refurbished" S3 I have seen and I've seen a lot, are new phones, never activated, never used, recently manufactured..in the last month to about 3 months. Those are most likely just returns that couldn't be sold as NIB. AT&T can tell you by the IMEI number if it has ever been activated before and if you register it on Samsung.com it will tell you when it was manufactured. You can probably look up the IMEI number on some website and find out the manufacture date, but I always register my phones with Samsung and get the info when I enter the number on their site.

muttchaser

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Kelly! I'll definitely go register my phone. I suppose the number I'm looking for is underneath the battery, right? Argh, I'm such a Digital Immigrant......
reference---http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/prensky%20-%20digital%20natives,%20digital%20immigrants%20-%20part1.pdf

Really interesting geeky read from a Linguistics major. :p

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Kelly! I'll definitely go register my phone. I suppose the number I'm looking for is underneath the battery, right? Argh, I'm such a Digital Immigrant......
reference---http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/prensky%20-%20digital%20natives,%20digital%20immigrants%20-%20part1.pdf

Really interesting geeky read from a Linguistics major. :p

It's under the battery, but other ways to get it they don't tell you about.

Go to settings, about device, then status. Scroll down a bit and you will see it. There is also a *# code to get it from your dial pad. I used to have that, let me see if I can find it....

Dial *#06# and the number will be displayed. if there is a long number the a /and number after it, you IMEI number is the long number before the /

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I know this sounds a tad odd, but you did say it only seems to happen once a cable has been plugged in ie. Charging, or head phones. Is it possible it's something to do with the power saving mode? If you have power saving on. Just for the heck of it, just temp, disable it 100%, and then try charging or plugging in your headphones again. And see if you still have the same issue. I have a feeling it's a power saving issue.

muttchaser

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
At this point nothing sounds odd. I'll try anything!! I've never turned power saving on, but who knows. I'll give it a shot overnight. I won't plug in to charge tonight and let it power down all the way then plug in to charge tomorrow.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
At this point nothing sounds odd. I'll try anything!! I've never turned power saving on, but who knows. I'll give it a shot overnight. I won't plug in to charge tonight and let it power down all the way then plug in to charge tomorrow.

If that doesn't change it, just for the heck of it, try some other headphones and see what happens.

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar issue. When using a wired headset I will occasionally lose volume on a call. I don't use the phone for music, so I can't tell you how that is affected. The problem is inconsistent and I have yet to experience it on a handset call or with a BT headset, though unplugging the headset does not bring the volume back. Restarting the phone does. I have this theory I'm testing: Prior to JB if I lowered the volume on the speakerphone, it lowered all the in-call volumes, handset, headset, everything. Now the in-call volume controls seem to have been separated. I raised the volume on speakerphone to max. I also raised the volume to max on every other setting I could find. I'll see if that cures it. I have my doubts. Mostly because the volume seems to drop out in a two stage process, from barely audible to full mute. Further bulletins as events warrant.

muttchaser

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
HEADDESK/FACEPALM

I write this message with the worst feeling of DUH there ever was. I completely forgot I had another app............hour signal pro. I realized to night at 8 pm that I didn't hear the hour chime on my phone right before the chime on my clock in the living room. I picked up the phone and sure enough there were no sounds. I called the phone from my other phone and sure enough as well there was no ringtone and no text alert. Then the penny finally dropped. When the Hour Pro glitches, the sounds disappear. How could I have missed that????? I feel like the biggest goof in the world. All I had to do was DELETE THE APP and everything went back to normal. I didn't even have to restart the phone. Please forgive me for being so silly. My stepson has already laughed at me for all the trouble I caused getting a new phone and all. I will now go and hide my embarrassment in the nearest ice cream container. Ben and Jerry's, preferably. Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions.
*slinks away feeling like one nutty woman*

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
HEADDESK/FACEPALM

I write this message with the worst feeling of DUH there ever was. I completely forgot I had another app............hour signal pro. I realized to night at 8 pm that I didn't hear the hour chime on my phone right before the chime on my clock in the living room. I picked up the phone and sure enough there were no sounds. I called the phone from my other phone and sure enough as well there was no ringtone and no text alert. Then the penny finally dropped. When the Hour Pro glitches, the sounds disappear. How could I have missed that????? I feel like the biggest goof in the world. All I had to do was DELETE THE APP and everything went back to normal. I didn't even have to restart the phone. Please forgive me for being so silly. My stepson has already laughed at me for all the trouble I caused getting a new phone and all. I will now go and hide my embarrassment in the nearest ice cream container. Ben and Jerry's, preferably. Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions.

Pffffft..we've all done something like that at one time or another, it's how you learn! :)

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
HEADDESK/FACEPALM

Being man enough to admit it was enough for me. We all make mistakes, and many times I have over looked the most simple of solutions!
Glad it's working, that is what matters :)

apk72

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
It happened to me too on Note 3, and it was because of the headset I was using. It has 3 rings on the jack. Issue solved with a 2 rings jack adapter!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret