About to return hard-bricked gs3. Risks?? Please help me!!!

mkchillin

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I successfully rooted my phone today, but while I was installing a ROM (idk which one), upon deleting the cache and rebooting, my phone went black. My GS3 is hard-bricked. It won't turn on, it won't react to being connected to a cable, it won't do ANYTHING. It's straight-up dead.

I took it to ATT and lied about the issue, the guy tried putting in a new battery and it wouldn't turn on, so I am getting a free replacement GS3 this week.

What I wanna know is, can ATT know before-hand if it was rooted/bricked? Like I tripped a trigger alarm or something?

My second question is upon receiving it, will they be able to know it's been rooted? Consequently, if they manage to power it on will they try to find out and what will they do if they do find out?

They will charge my parents $539 if they find out it's rooted. I'm stupid for doing this and regret doing it, but I need to know what is going to happen. Please, PLEASE help me.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I successfully rooted my phone today, but while I was installing a ROM (idk which one), upon deleting the cache and rebooting, my phone went black. My GS3 is hard-bricked. It won't turn on, it won't react to being connected to a cable, it won't do ANYTHING. It's straight-up dead.

I took it to ATT and lied about the issue, the guy tried putting in a new battery and it wouldn't turn on, so I am getting a free replacement GS3 this week.

What I wanna know is, can ATT know before-hand if it was rooted/bricked? Like I tripped a trigger alarm or something?

My second question is upon receiving it, will they be able to know it's been rooted? Consequently, if they manage to power it on will they try to find out and what will they do if they do find out?

They will charge my parents $539 if they find out it's rooted. I'm stupid for doing this and regret doing it, but I need to know what is going to happen. Please, PLEASE help me.

If it is hard bricked they most likely will just flash it back on and move on. it would cost more money wasting time trying to find out the problem then just fixing it and moving on. I wouldnt worry so much about it. It sounds like you installed a rom not meant for you device.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
so, will you root the next one and flash another unknown ROM or did you learn something from this? Like pay attention to the ROM you are flashing to ensure it's one made for your phone?

mkchillin

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
If I don't get in trouble for this I likely won't root the new one. I've learned my lesson. All I wanna know is will ATT be able to re-activate a hard-bricked phone or not because if they do, they'll know it's rooted. I've been ting bricks

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
If I don't get in trouble for this I likely won't root the new one. I've learned my lesson. All I wanna know is will ATT be able to re-activate a hard-bricked phone or not because if they do, they'll know it's rooted. I've been ting bricks

If it was a proper brick probably not. Don't stress about it , they already have it. Not like you can do anything about it now. Chances are they will throw it in a repair pile and move on.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk