Suggestions for Improving performance

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had my sexy red GS3 for about 7 months now. Last night I was sitting next to a woman who just got a GS3 with Verizon. While I was playing with her phone, I noticed it's FAR snappier in performance than mine. Examples: Tapping the camera icon opens the camera immediately (no lag), the accelerometer turns the screen MUCH faster than mine and overall, the phone performed far better. I don't have a ton of downloaded apps that run in the background, have gone into Developer Options and turned off the animation and other scaling, always swipe off apps in the task manager after using, etc, etc. I DO get great battery life using Juice Defender, but that's not the issue here. This phone should scream with the processor it has and 2 GM of RAM..It's fast, it's just not AS fast as the woman's I was playing with yesterday. And the accelrometer often hangs requiring me to wiggle the phone back and forth to get it to move back.

Beyond rooting, which I don't want to do since I'm a novice and it also voids the warranty, I'm wondering if anyone here has suggestions on how to get the GS3 performing much faster.. And as a side note, I'm still VERY disappointed with the camera when using in low light situations. We were at a concert in a small venue last night and every shot was grainy, out of focus, etc.. Outdoor camera shots are fine, but low light really sucks.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
always swipe off apps in the task manager after using,

There's your issue. Leave the basics running in the task manager (i.e. messages, phone, camera). That's what I do. I only swipe away games or social networking apps. If you're wiping away everything your phone as to load the apps from scratch every time you click the icons. Meanwhile if you leave the basics, as I mentioned, they're always ready to be used instantly. Chances are the woman whose phone you used had most apps still left running in the task manager.

See for yourself. Wipe it, the load messages or your phone. The hit the home button and relaunch said apps and notice the massive difference in launch times.

So while keeping the task manager clean may squeeze out some extra battery, I'd still leave 2 or 3 of your frequently used apps. Games, obviously, are substantially more taxing on system resources than things like the phone app, so those I recommend swiping away.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
OK guys thanks.. With only 7 mos experience with Android, these are good tips. Am assuming this may resolve the slow response with the accelerometer too? Regardless, much appreciated :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I guess I probably should have spent a few more minutes giving a more thorough reply.

Like any computer, these phones (regardless of OS) seems to slow down over time. Uninstalled apps leave pieces of themselves behind, cache gets full of crap you don't really need, sometimes the OS doesn't do a very good job of clearing memory. A factory reset can work wonders, but make sure all your important information is backed up somewhere, first.

As a less radical step, you can do a one-time memory clean (long press the home button, tap the pie chart icon, tap RAM at the top, and then Clear memory).

You can boot into recovery and clear cache and dalvik cache, then reboot. Your phone will take a while to reboot the first time, as it rebuilds the dalvik cache, but it can speed things up, especially if you've installed and removed a lot of apps.

Not sure about the accelerometer. Recalibrating it might help. Go to Settings / Motion / Sensitivity Settings / Gyroscope calibration.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
OK thanks Meyer.. the recalibration didn't seem to do much..I knew about clearing the RAM though but have no idea how to boot into recovery and clear the davik cache, LOL. Regardless, just leaving the apps open that I use the most makes them available immediately rather than them having to load every time.. Now if Samsung would just do something about a camera update so low light photos are better, I'd be much happier :) Thanks again.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
FYI, swiping away an app in the task manager does NOT quit the app. That list is a list of recent apps, not running apps. Swiping an app from the list only removes it from the list. I'd it's running in the background when you swipe it from the list, it's still running in the background afterward.

As meyerweb said, it is unnecessary to quit apps anyway. Just let the OS determine when apps should be killed.

The slowness you're experiencing is very likely due to a combination of remnants of things you've installed and uninstalled and old data used with new apps. Things get janky after a while. It sucks to consider a factory reset, but if clearing out your caches doesn't fix the problem, I'm fairly certain that a factory reset will.

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm still VERY disappointed with the camera when using in low light situations. We were at a concert in a small venue last night and every shot was grainy, out of focus, etc.. Outdoor camera shots are fine, but low light really sucks.

That is my biggest complaint also with my S3 and Note 2. Outdoors pics are fine but low light is horrible. Even using the low light setting doesn't help alot. Plus using the flash turns the pics a blueish tint. I just wish we had better camera with low light pics.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II