Phone stuck after ROM update

MikeIL57

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I updated ROM from .ZIP file, and while rebooting phone got stuck. After it displayed "galaxy S3" and a boot sound, it is stuck with "SAMSUNG" on the screen, does not respond to any button. Tried volume-home-power - no response (it just shots down).
I have SGH-i747 phone ROM is SGH_I747_UCALG1_AndroidUser_V1.1. I had this same ROM working fine on this very phone before.

Please help!

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Strange, I've never not been able to get back into recovery, so unfortunately, I can't offer much help. Also, I'm not sure what "JIG" is. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Worst case scenario, if you can get your phone into Download mode, you could reflash stock firmware via Odin. You will be starting again from scratch, but at least you will have a working phone.

MikeIL57

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Strange, I've never not been able to get back into recovery, so unfortunately, I can't offer much help. Also, I'm not sure what "JIG" is. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Worst case scenario, if you can get your phone into Download mode, you could reflash stock firmware via Odin. You will be starting again from scratch, but at least you will have a working phone.

Yes, this is what I am doing now. Does it mean I need to get stock rom from Samsung, or I can use the ROM I wanted to flash to begin with?

thanks,

MikeIL57

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
OK, so I flashed stock ROM with ODIN, and it still does not work! Same phenomena - after boot sound it gets stuck with SAMSUNG on the screen. Apparently, it showed different images while booting (before it got stuck), so I know the new ROM was flashed.
What may be is that my internal storage is full. How can I free it up and then flash the ROM?

markbencze

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Why not try flashing a recovery tar file via odin. And then reboot to recovery and restore your nandroid backup or wipe whatever files you need to wipe. It shouldn't be too hard at all. Put the rom on your sd card and flash via recovery
Then you'll be fine

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

markbencze

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
http://db.tt/dUbHLOPR

This link contains everything you need to fix your problem and it also has a couple roms for your s3 whaich I believe is the at&t version. This is my dropbox which has odin, cwm tar and twrp zip (I always flash twrp from cwm as I like it better.) You should be just fine

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, just gotta hold down power button till it reboots then pull battery before restart. Reboot into recovery and do reset again and reboot. Keep trying it will eventually work...I'm done with custom ROM'S phone had nothing but problems with them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

markbencze

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem, just gotta hold down power button till it reboots then pull battery before restart. Reboot into recovery and do reset again and reboot. Keep trying it will eventually work...I'm done with custom ROM'S phone had nothing but problems with them

Well I will slightly agree that some toms cause problems. I find that the roms from experienced devs have no issues.
Also I tend to read the threads in entirety to find out any bugs that may arise and learn from others mistakes. Theres plenty of great roms out there but in my opinion this site is not the site for finding them. Too many unknown roms with too many issues. No surprise that so many people out here are bricking. Not to mention that too many people dont read instructions and dont make a nandroid backup. I dont mind helping people but im definitely getting tired of seeing posts saying. Help stuck in bootloop or I flashed the wrong theme and I didn't make a backup.
Read the damn instructions people and youll be fine:banghead:

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I stick to XDA Developers for ROMs. So far no issues with ROMs I have used from there. I also read, reread and read again before I flash a ROM. Not saying I will never have an issue, just try to minimize the risk

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Well I will slightly agree that some toms cause problems. I find that the roms from experienced devs have no issues.
Also I tend to read the threads in entirety to find out any bugs that may arise and learn from others mistakes. Theres plenty of great roms out there but in my opinion this site is not the site for finding them. Too many unknown roms with too many issues. No surprise that so many people out here are bricking. Not to mention that too many people dont read instructions and dont make a nandroid backup. I dont mind helping people but im definitely getting tired of seeing posts saying. Help stuck in bootloop or I flashed the wrong theme and I didn't make a backup.
Read the damn instructions people and youll be fine:banghead:

I hear ya...I'm not saying I had issues loading the Rom or getting it to work...I had issues once it was loaded with apps, my phone freezing and so on...I use my phone for many things and the stock ROM seems to be the most stable in my opinion...I'm open to suggestions on ROMS if you have had any success...

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya...I'm not saying I had issues loading the Rom or getting it to work...I had issues once it was loaded with apps, my phone freezing and so on...I use my phone for many things and the stock ROM seems to be the most stable in my opinion...I'm open to suggestions on ROMS if you

Hard to really suggest anything because every person's set up is different. I was running ParanoidKANGDroid for awhile but settled on AOKP. I found that sometimes you have to tweak things like upping th min clock speed to get things to work optimum. The latest AOKP works great now that I adjusted the clock speed. I like it so much better than stock because it's cleaner (no bloatware) and I can add/customize so much more with it rooted

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Hard to really suggest anything because every person's set up is different. I was running ParanoidKANGDroid for awhile but settled on AOKP. I found that sometimes you have to tweak things like upping th min clock speed to get things to work optimum. The latest AOKP works great now that I adjusted the clock speed. I like it so much better than stock because it's cleaner (no bloatware) and I can add/customize so much more with it rooted

I was having crash issues with AOKP with compatibility as well. I found the ROM is not as important as network speed

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
every phone is different. CM and my phone weren't a good match and neither was Liquid Smooth. AOKP is great on mine but I read about others who have issues with it.

markbencze

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Best rom in my opinion is jedi xp12 by xda developer ptmr3.
Ive tried several and his are amazing.

sent from my 1920 overclocked note 2 running jedi xp11 rom

jeffmurph004

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
It's annoying seeing all the complaining in other threads about 4.1.2 not being released, whereas I'm running 4.2.2 via paranoidKANGdroid with zero problems, exceptionally smooth and as close to pure android as you can get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20