Cancel for 24 month upgrade change?

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
So with the new change to 24 month upgrade cycles (instead of 20), is this considered a significant change to let us cancel our contract without paying an etf? And if so, how does one do that?

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Verizon and at&t did the 20 month upgrade to be nice.. Your contract never said anything about 20 month upgrades.... Even though it's 4 months it feels like forever... Matt

Sent from my rooted droid razr using Tapatalk 4 beta

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I was under the impression that it was always supposed to be 2 years, but AT&T allowed their customers to upgrade "early".

But they decided to take that privilege away and they have every right to do so.

It's only 4 months anyways and who knows. Customers might be glad they had the extra 4 months to decide what phone they will purchase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon and at&t did the 20 month upgrade to be nice.. Your contract never said anything about 20 month upgrades.... Even though it's 4 months it feels like forever... Matt

Sent from my rooted droid razr using Tapatalk 4 beta
To answer your question, No this is not enough to be able to cancel your contract. The new 24 month upgrade would be for new contracts. You should be grandfathered in.

gonzo0203

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
To answer your question, No this is not enough to be able to cancel your contract. The new 24 month upgrade would be for new contracts. You should be grandfathered in.

The way I read it, it didn't matter if you were current customer or new. Your contract has an end date and if it's after the date they listed sometime in 2014, it gets over to their new revised mandate.

Posted via Android Central App

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
This is a STUPID move by AT&T for a very basic reason. If you upgrade at 20 months, you are on a new 2-year contract where you can't leave without paying an ETF. This basically locks you in. If they force people to wait until their contract expires on the other hand, there is a decent chance people will just take their phone number and go to Verizon or another carrier, which is why this change is a STUPID idea.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
This is a STUPID move by AT&T for a very basic reason. If you upgrade at 20 months, you are on a new 2-year contract where you can't leave without paying an ETF. This basically locks you in. If they force people to wait until their contract expires on the other hand, there is a decent chance people will just take their phone number and go to Verizon or another carrier, which is why this change is a STUPID idea.

I'm sure some will leave, but I doubt it'll be a tragedy for AT&T. Most people will adjust to getting their upgrades 4 months later and will stay. I mean is the grass going to really look any greener on the other side because someone has to wait an extra 4 months for their upgrade? People stay with what is familiar to them as long as the service stays roughly the same.

At&t (and Verizon) probably have a good reason for doing this at least from a business standpoint. It probably keeps money in their pockets for a longer period of time or something like that. Who knows?

But I think just sheer human nature is on AT&T's side.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
On the flip side, when Verizon started to offer the iPhone, a reason so many people stayed on AT&T was because they were locked in on contract and because they could upgrade every year. This policy change will make it so people who have wanted to leave WILL leave, because there won't be anything holding them back, no ETFs or anything like that.

I'm sure some will leave, but I doubt it'll be a tragedy for AT&T. Most people will adjust to getting their upgrades 4 months later and will stay. I mean is the grass going to really look any greener on the other side because someone has to wait an extra 4 months for their upgrade? People stay with what is familiar to them as long as the service stays roughly the same.

At&t (and Verizon) probably have a good reason for doing this at least from a business standpoint. It probably keeps money in their pockets for a longer period of time or something like that. Who knows?

But I think just sheer human nature is on AT&T's side.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
My contract as well as the rest of my family is still 18 months over here at sprint.

But doesn't att offer yearly upgrade plans as well for an additional fee?

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
On the flip side, when Verizon started to offer the iPhone, a reason so many people stayed on AT&T was because they were locked in on contract and because they could upgrade every year. This policy change will make it so people who have wanted to leave WILL leave, because there won't be anything holding them back, no ETFs or anything like that.

If they REALLY want out so bad, they can wait until their contract is up and go. Heck, in some instances people find that it's cheaper to pay an early termination fee and switch companies (not of you're going to Verizon of course). I just don't see any long term damage coming from AT&T's decision. I mean I know that if I wanted to leave, an upgrade 4 months early isn't going to change my mind when I can wait the contract out and get a subsidized phone with another company I actually like. Meh. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance