Voice Input disabled (grayed out) in keyboard settings

crazysaguaro

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Can anyone tell me why my Voice Input setting is grayed out? This is the same way on both my Samsung Keyboard settings (pictured; in screenshot) and in my Swiftkey 3rd party keyboard settings. I used to be able to dictate texts with both keyboards and an update probably happened somewhere along the line and now the voice settings in each app are grayed out. Other voice functions work on the phone, including the S Voice app and the camera voice commands (say "cheese" or "shoot" to take a photo).

Google is the TTS engine I have selected in the LANGUAGE AND INPUT > SPEECH > TEXT-TO-SPEECH OUTPUT area if that setting matters. The phone talks to me just fine - I just can't talk to it. :(

Please help - I'm very frustrated! I'm running Android 4.1.1 on my Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T).

Thanks,
Gina

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-18-11-41-18.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-18-11-41-18.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 23

crazysaguaro

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
As I said in my original post, I have this option:
Google is the TTS engine I have selected in the LANGUAGE AND INPUT > SPEECH > TEXT-TO-SPEECH OUTPUT

Is that what you're referring to? I don't see an option titled "GOOGLE VOICE TYPING".

Thanks
Gina

estubbs33

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
RGpogle Voice (grayed out) in keyboard settings

The Google Voice Search is what's grayed out on my Evo 4g LTE. But it didn't use to be. And now when I try voice texting, it says it can't open the microphone.
I don't understand how that could happen all by itself? How do I fix this?

studmule

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: RGpogle Voice (grayed out) in keyboard settings

The Google Voice Search is what's grayed out on my Evo 4g LTE. But it didn't use to be. And now when I try voice texting, it says it can't open the microphone.
I don't understand how that could happen all by itself? How do I fix this?

See if there is an update for google search on the play store. That fixed it for me.

Isma El

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
;) got same issue, i fixed pretty simple!!!!

Multi-Window, Voice Command for Camera and lock screen message (i.e Lock Screen Widget) works. However, you need to change the Home Screen Mode from Easy to Standard. These does not work on Easy Mode.

donramm

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Warriorfox, this is a case of the blind leading the blind (I have had this Android phone for a week) but I'll give it a shot anyway.

My phone has very little memory so I have been uninstalling and disabling apps that I don't need. I apparently disabled "Google Search" and then disabled my ability to dictate texts, emails, etc.

Enabled "Google Search" made "Google voice typing" reappear under "KEYBOARD & INPUT METHODS" under "Language & input" under "Settings".

But when I bring up the keyboard I don't see the little microphone to the left of the space bar like I used to. Instead I see a gear symbol...until I looked very closely at the key and saw a tiny microphone in the upper left corner of that key. Pressing and holding the key (the "long press") showed three different options for the key: microphone, the gear (whatever that is for), and a cut/paste symbol. I chose the microphone and now whenever I bring up the keyboard I see the microphone on the key next to the space bar.

jl1959

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if this will help. But I had the same problem on my LG l90 and I downloaded perfect keyboard and it works great. Though it asks for some permissions.I hope that helps if you haven't already rectified the problem.

Stephen Roberts 407

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
donramm
Thank you. Thank you. The settings icon on the keyboard was 'hiding' the microphone icon exactly as you described. My LG phone is now completely set up (dropped the old one in water, oops). The blind leading the blind, in this case, was true enough for me. lol. The icons on the key itself were so small, I would never have deciphered them without your post. Have a wonderfully successful day :)

CindyStooks

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
thanks so much for the information! That works on my LGD415 phone..by hard pressing that button on the left side of the space bar and gives me 3 choices and one is the microphone and just clicking that and wala! There is the microphone..so much easier! thanks soooooooooooo much!

smartsoutherngrl

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
This feature is for all phones. Anytime you have issues with features such as this, always back track to the settings in your phone and look for (languge and input), you have to choose Google voice typing as a default. Think of it this way, even when you use your voice for text, it's an input feature. Just as if your were typing , or typing on a certain type of keyboard.

hello hello

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Try eneble Google search..i disabled Google search so voice typing option gone..but when i enable google search it automatically comes..so try enable google search from apps..disable apps..Google search... Enable it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37