ATT: Did You Find That 4.1.2 Was Worth the Wait?

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I wasn't clamoring for 4.1.2. like some of the people on this forum. But every once in a while, I did wish ATT or Samsung or Jesus or whoever is responsible for the speed at which we get updates would hurry up and get it to us. And on the day I found out I could finally update, I planned to go out of my way just to have it asap. (Don't have WIFI at home).

Now that I have it though, I am not sure that it was worth all of the anticipation.

*Page Buddy: I'm not sure how this feature is supposed to enhance my experience with my device. I turned it off.

*ATT Bloatware: Disabled immediately. No need to even elaborate on this one.

*Group Play & Paper Artist: Worth saving. Probably won't see very much use, but I filed it my "Stock Apps folder".

*Multi-Window: Great idea, but can barely be used with any apps. I have tons of them and only a small fraction--most of them stock at that--seem to be compatible with this feature. Wasn't worth keeping it turned on.

*Auto-Haptic: Might be a fun feature if it didn't drain the battery faster. Besides it isn't a Playstation. I don't need my handset reacting to every little thing that takes place within a given app.

*Gallery: I actually like the changes, but the only time I use the gallery is to change my wallpaper. Otherwise I use Secure Gallery.

*Auto Share Shot: Haven't even looked for this feature.

*Access Burst Mode in Camera App by Holding Camera Button: A nice change. I was hoping there was a way to access this feature quicker than I had been able to.

*Bug Fixes & Performance Enhancements: I want to say things seem to run better, but it could all be in the mind. Nonetheless this is always a good thing whether I notice it or not.

**Ability To Customize Notification Toggles: Absent from this update. It probably would have been far more useful to many users relative to other features added in the update.
Ever since the ability to toggle mobile data was taken away, I started using Power Toggles and probably wouldn't have made use of the feature if it was included.

So what are everyone else's thoughts on the update?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth pairing is fixed for a number of devices. 4.1.1 had a problem pairing with my somewhat old V-tech home phone, and that has been fixed with the new update. I suspect that other pairing issues that others have experienced may be fixed or at least improved. In general, I agree that the big issue is not that this isn't a big update(4.1.1 to 4.1.2 is SUPPOSED to be minor), but more, that AT&T waited this long to release what should be seen as a fairly minor update. Adding Allshare Cast to the toggles is a good improvement(since I do use it from time to time), and I have also noticed that power usage is improved(I can leave the screen on while using Google Maps and Navigation without having the battery drain down while on my 1 amp car charger). Prior to the update with 4.1.1, I had to turn off the screen while plugged in the same way to avoid having the battery drain.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I have the att gs3, the Note 10.1, and the nexus 7. In my mind there is really no excuse for anything less than 4.2.2 at this point. I now have 4.3 on my n7 and 4.1.2 on both Samsung devices. I like the multi Window from Samsung but the interesting thing to me is that the pure Samsung device (note 10.1) is no better off now update-wise than my AT&T/Samsung frankenstein gs3.

However, one of the great things about any of the jelly bean versions is that they allow you to disable all the worthless nonsense bloat that comes bundled from Samsung (cough, chaton, cough) and at&t. They are both guilty of bundling apps that are in direct competition with play store apps that are way superior.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see the responses from the one or two raising a huge ruckus about the update. Was it worth all the whining?

For what it's worth I'm rooted and had tried some of the 4.1.2 custom ROMS and didn't find any of the features worth all the grief I saw here over the update.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Never had 4.1.2. Went right past it, from 4.1.1, to 4.2.2. Fast & Smooth.:p

I don't even want to think about 4.2.2. by the time AT&T gets that out to the S3 I'll probably have upgraded to the S4. Lol.

seanxdoom

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
So I tried to update my s3 today and it seemed like it started to do it then it force closed. Now it says I can't check for an update for 24 hours. Anyone help? Wanna see what the update is all about. And don't even talk to me about kies haha.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
So I tried to update my s3 today and it seemed like it started to do it then it force closed. Now it says I can't check for an update for 24 hours. Anyone help? Wanna see what the update is all about. And don't even talk to me about kies haha.

Just push your phone's date forward manually and then try it again.

EDIT: Nevermind I see what you said in the other thread.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see the responses from the one or two raising a huge ruckus about the update. Was it worth all the whining?

For what it's worth I'm rooted and had tried some of the 4.1.2 custom ROMS and didn't find any of the features worth all the grief I saw here over the update.

What many people don't think about is that 4.1.2 by the number is a TINY update over 4.1.1. The update makes the stock keyboard a lot more responsive, and overall things do feel a bit more responsive. Power usage is better after the update as well. So, lots of little improvements, and multi-window being the big feature addition that CAN be useful at times. Not a BIG update with tons of features people will love, but still good.

Now, the reason people were annoyed is more about how long the update was DELAYED by AT&T when virtually all other carriers had released it around the world. It is like LTE coverage when your town does not have it, and all the towns around you, only 5-10 minutes away by car have LTE with 20Mbps download speeds. If you are the one without LTE and everyone you know has it, you will be annoyed. Now, picture being in that situation for six months, and you get more and more annoyed. When you see people in some little town with a 1500 population getting it, and your town of 30,000 does not, you also start to wonder who is making the decisions(the Galaxy S2 got it before the S3 on AT&T).

AT&T needs to be better about updates, or at least communicate with customers if there is a delay caused by a quality issue in the update.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
That's why I am waiting for the Kies update. I can't wait for multi-view.

That was a feature I was excited about. And a I have to say, it's well done. But so few apps support the feature, that it's useless to me.

Bodhi Utah

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
That was a feature I was excited about. And a I have to say, it's well done. But so few apps support the feature, that it's useless to me.

Agreed. It would be much more useful if more apps supported it. Having maps and email or email and gmail open is nice, but with limited app support, the feature is not as nice as it could be.

celticmyth

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
No. Got AT&T S3 Aug. 2013 with jb 4.1.1 & it worked great. Over the air update of 4.1.2 came thru 2 days later and now system UI failed. Lots of apps stopped working. Called Samsung & they can't fix it nor can a factory reset. Called ATT & their tech support acts totally confused. According to the internet research I had to do this is a common problem known by both companies since jb 4.1.2 was released. After 2 days I have to return the phone for a new one. 4.1.2 has alot of issues that providers are unwilling to fix. I would avoid it.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
No. Got AT&T S3 Aug. 2013 with jb 4.1.1 & it worked great. Over the air update of 4.1.2 came thru 2 days later and now system UI failed. Lots of apps stopped working. Called Samsung & they can't fix it nor can a factory reset. Called ATT & their tech support acts totally confused. According to the internet research I had to do this is a common problem known by both companies since jb 4.1.2 was released. After 2 days I have to return the phone for a new one. 4.1.2 has alot of issues that providers are unwilling to fix. I would avoid it.

The issue I had with it originally was that my phone developed serious lag and it would sometimes freeze and restart itself. I eventually did a factory reset without backing anything on the internal SD card up. And I didn't do that intentionally mind you. My phone didn't erase my internal SD when I updated to 4.1.1 a while ago so I figured it would be fine. So I had to reinstall every app and setting, no backups. But the phone actually behaves alot better. The battery drains slower too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance