Screen battery usage high?

mdogfizzle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I was looking at my battery life and noticed it was getting low quickly so got the os and android system percentage down. Now everything else is at around 5-15% except for the Screen which was using 60%. I searching and couldn't find anyone who was looking at the Screen usage but rather about the OS and Android system. I just wanted to get a read and see if anyone else was at around 60% or if that was a high number specific to my phone. Thanks!

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I was looking at my battery life and noticed it was getting low quickly so got the os and android system percentage down. Now everything else is at around 5-15% except for the Screen which was using 60%. I searching and couldn't find anyone who was looking at the Screen usage but rather about the OS and Android system. I just wanted to get a read and see if anyone else was at around 60% or if that was a high number specific to my phone. Thanks!

Over any given period of time, your screen will generally use most of your battery's power, provided you have it on for a significant period of time.
The most you can do is either lower your brightness significantly or use auto brightness. I prefer to keep my brightness at its lowest setting and use auto brightness when I'm outside and the sun prevents me from seeing the screen.
Additionally, under the Display setting make sure you have "Auto Adjust Screen Tone" checked. And in Power Saving make sure "Screen Power Saving" and "Background Color" is checked. Also the display uses more power with lighter backgrounds so try to use dark themes in apps as well as dark wallpaper. And make sure your screen time out isn't excessive.

Beyond that. There's not much you can do other than use your phone less. The display on our devices is a power hog. I constantly use 90% of my battery. But I'm on it all the time when I know I can charge it easily.

If your screen is using most of the battery, that is not really a bad thing. In fact, it's the way it should be if you actually use the phone. If something like "Media" were to pop up and use 20% of your battery and all of a sudden you saw your screen using only far less than usual, that's how you can tell something is wrong.

Also consider that everything is relative. If your other processes are barely using battery and you use your phone moderately, your screen will be shown using a higher percentage of the battery simply because nothing else is.
It's like if someone said "100% percent of the time I drop my phone it lands on its screen." and then finding out they've only dropped it twice. Seems big. Actually isn't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
I usually have screen brightness around 50% getting just under 2 hrs SOT. Unfortunately that's normal operation. Good to be able to swap out the battery though as it seems to be a necessity. Display still looks great though,no burn in at all.

Posted via S7, much loved S3 or Tab 3 8.0