AT&T Galaxy SIII 4.3 Update Likes/Issues

gtspeck

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: AT&T Galaxy S3 4.3 Update Likes/Issues

I just updated and the edit function for contacts will not update when adding a group, ie family friends etc. When I try to add family,etc I get the following message "Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped." Anyone else ran accross this and have figured out to make it work? Everything else seems to be working Ok.:cool:

gtspeck

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

Fixed the issue performing a Master Reset. It was a pain having to back up everything but it solved the issue. Now everything is working as intended. No other issues have come up.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Overall, I like it. The persistent notification icons for NFC, Smart Stay, Bluetooth, and Blocking Mode p!ss me off. They take up too much space and you can't turn them off.

I don't like that you can only get lockscreen widgets with no security...Can't do it with PIN lock. And I think battery life is a little worse and that there is diminished touch sensitivity on the lock screen.

All minor annoyances, with no major problems.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the update.

Wow..I only had the NFC icon in the notification bar and when I turned it off, it went away.. the Smart Stay is very much in the background and I'm actually experiencing BETTER touch sensitivity.. Also when I had 4.1.2 I added a home screen and then wanted to delete it but it wouldn't go away. With 4.3 I deleted it immediately.. I also think low light camera performance has improved even with flash..I'm wondering what sort of third party apps you're running.. I use the standard MMS app, Juice Defender and Aquamail Free..outside of that I have the social networking and banking apps, all Google apps and several others but none that run in the background for the most part.. my phone rocks now with 4.3!

slhammer33

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
At first I liked the msg notification but then it became annoying because anyone who looked at my phone when it went off could actually see the msg and who it was from. I liked it better when the notification was at the top and just showed it briefly. Now - after changing the settings to not get the preview - i only get a generic "new message" notification which is pretty generic - don't like it! Wish i could change it to how it was. :-( As far as smoothness, yes it's smoother but my battery life SUX! I still can't get my battery to last - and can't seem to figure out why!! Sooo frusterating! Other than that - for the most part - It's pretty cool! I am having one little issue - I was wondering if you or anyone else was having -- Gallery keeps shutting down or freezing ------ anyone???

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow..I only had the NFC icon in the notification bar and when I turned it off, it went away.. the Smart Stay is very much in the background and I'm actually experiencing BETTER touch sensitivity.. Also when I had 4.1.2 I added a home screen and then wanted to delete it but it wouldn't go away. With 4.3 I deleted it immediately.. I also think low light camera performance has improved even with flash..I'm wondering what sort of third party apps you're running.. I use the standard MMS app, Juice Defender and Aquamail Free..outside of that I have the social networking and banking apps, all Google apps and several others but none that run in the background for the most part.. my phone rocks now with 4.3!

My problem with the icons is that I want to leave the services on, but not ever see the icons. I turned off Smart Stay. The persistent icon is more annoying than the service is useful.

NFC, Blocking Mode, and Bluetooth I leave on all the time. I know they're on...I'm the one who turned them on. I don't need a constant reminder. For these, I have a "set it and forget it" philosophy. I want to hide them and never see them.

Along the same lines, why the hell can't we turn off the AM/PM in the 12-hour clock? I know the difference between night and morning, I don't need that information from phone. Right now, I'm using the 24-hour clock to save space-.-but I hate it.

And as far as touch sensitivity, it's only worse on the lock screen. I use a pin lock, and it almost always misses a number or two. I'm guessing they may have tweaked that to minimize things getting pushed when the phone is in someone's pocket. It really gets on my nerves when I'm driving and I need to get into the phone fast. It always takes me two or three tries now, which is far less safe.

BLawruk

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Half way through my download of this update - it just stopped. Tried manually updating again; said I had to wait 24 hours :( I updated my Kies app, and installed the latest version of Kies on my PC, but it still wouldn't let me update? Said "Your devices current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies." I guess I just keep trying every 24 hours? :(

Richard Morrison2

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
My battery life was terrible after updating but clearing cache in recovery mode S suggested took care of it completely. I don't care for the message preview on the lock screen and noticed if i touch the preview, it shrinks and an empty box appears on the lower half of the screen which doesn't seem to do anything at all. I've been using Nova Prime since i got the phone and it seems to be snappier and more responsive than even before. Overall I'm really pleased with the update other than the message preview. The strange thing is that i updated my phone after reading about the release online the day it came out, yet when i got home 2hrs later and tried to update my wifes phone, the update is gone. I've checked everyday since then with no luck. I bought both phones at the same time on the family share plan. Mines updated, hers isnt and can't find it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
In theory if you swipe the empty box it will pull up your message. Others have reported a bug with this. If you pull up the menu in the messaging app there is a box in settings you can uncheck to stop the message preview. Still get the new box and swipe screen though.

... I don't care for the message preview on the lock screen and noticed if i touch the preview, it shrinks and an empty box appears on the lower half of the screen which doesn't seem to do anything at all...

Laney69

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

I checked Assessibility on my device and nothing was check marked however the phone continues to flash the light when it rings, when the alarm goes off. When the alarm decides to go off.
Some alarms appear to have a sound file associated with it but when the alarm goes "off" only the flashing light is on. It's taking me some time to figure out all the differences with this upgraded operating system. Anything else I should know about version 4.3?

Thanks.

4re_enzo

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Settings>my device>Accessibility>Scroll to bottom. Uncheck it

Posted via Android Central App

It was already unchecked. When my alarm went "off" this morning it didn't make noise either, just flashed the camera light which obviously made me late. I can't find out to remove this....

tshiker

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
My alarm is not working as well. The alarm goes off but the snooze icon shuts the alarm off even though it's set for three times, ten minutes apart. Anyone else have this problem or maybe had it and fixed it? I did a full reset to defaults after the 4.3 upgrade cause I couldn't edit any contacts without the service crashing.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It was already unchecked
If it's already unchecked then check it, then uncheck it again. You may also need to restart the phone (there's some disagreement over this point).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

4re_enzo

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
If it's already unchecked then check it, then uncheck it again. You may also need to restart the phone (there's some disagreement over this point).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

AMAZING!

My Alarm is at least working now. Thanks!

L_Ement

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It's odd that some have this issue and others don't. The only thing I've noticed is now when I get a call the camera light starts flashing, if anyone knows how to turn that off, please let me know, I haven't been able to find the setting yet.

Go into Setting>My Device>Accessibility>Show Shortcut> uncheck Accessibility and Apply.
Also you want to make sure that flash notification is unchecked under the Accessibility page as well.
Doing both of these steps should stop the camera light from flashing.

L_Ement

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

I checked Assessibility on my device and nothing was check marked however the phone continues to flash the light when it rings, when the alarm goes off. When the alarm decides to go off.
Some alarms appear to have a sound file associated with it but when the alarm goes "off" only the flashing light is on. It's taking me some time to figure out all the differences with this upgraded operating system. Anything else I should know about version 4.3?

Thanks.

Go into Setting>My Device>Accessibility>Show Shortcut> uncheck Accessibility and Apply.
Also you want to make sure that flash notification is unchecked under the Accessibility page as well.
Doing both of these steps should stop the camera light from flashing.

Just Kari

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

The flash notification issue is a problem for me, too. Neverminding the problem which has resulted from this 4.3 upgrade, one can turn on/off flash notifications in Accessibility, located in the My Device menu in Settings. When I checked there, the flash notifications was not selected, yet the flash notifications were happening anyway. I tried activating flash notification, rebooted the phone, then tested, confirming that flash notifications were active. I then turned off flash notifications and rebooted again, hoping that would kick the system to stop the notifications - I didn't work. Still having the problem of flash notifications for all incoming calls and messages, as well as for calendar reminders. Anyone else have any luck on this one?

Courtney Roark

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

settings accessibility under the hearing settings turn off the flash notification. if it isnt on; turn it on exit the screen, come back, turn it off

saintjules

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I
seem to be getting pic download notifications over and over again. It's the same files each time. I clear them but they pop back up again. I deleted the pics in my downloads folder and re-downloaded a couple from an email message. Still doing it and I can't seem to find out where to stop it yet.

Not sure if it was mentioned but although I'm on Sprint, try clearing out the cache of the download manager. I too was getting the same problem until I did that. No more issues.

saintjules

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Is there an option somewhere on how to enable the screen to turn on when receiving text messages? It suddenly stopped doing that when I did the update to 4.3.

L_Ement

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Doing so should stop the camera light from flashing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20