AT&T Galaxy S3 - Help: Sporadic screen freezing after upgrading to 4.3

FLRubi

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
As the title says my screens are occasionally freezing whenever I rotate the phone more than 90 degrees. It's happened 3 times since installing the upgrade yesterday afternoon. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I know this sounds crazy - but, if you do a factory reset and wipe cache (from recovery screen), your phone will have no issues when it re-boots (fresh)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, it does look like a factory reset is the answerto this one. My wife got the update OTA and has this problem.
I got tired of waiting for it and downloaded the file from XDA. When flashing it via recovery, it wiped my phone in the process. I haven't had any of the problems that have been reported (except my Swype keyboard is laggy).

I usually recommend that people try everything else they can think of first and only do a factory reset as a last resort, but appears that's only viable solution this time.

FLRubi

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everybody. I've never done a factory reset. Is this the option I see under Settings/Backup and Reset? How do I wipe the cache? I'm currently on my tab 3 but the issues I'm having are happening to my Slll on the AT&T network. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-T310 using AC Forums mobile app

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How do I wipe the cache?
You were correct about how to perform the Factory Reset.

In order to wipe the cache you have to boot into Recovery mode. With the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Up and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen. Once the Recovery menu is shown use the Volume rocker to navigate the UI and the Power button to select an item. (Note that wiping the cache is very quick.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone done a factory reset and is still experiencing this rotation freeze thing? We did a factory reset on my wife's phone, but it still freezes when the screen rotates.

Mark Donahue

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Yep me too reset cleared cache still freezes. Upgraded to 4.3. Can I go back to 4.2? Turning off screen rotation works for most apps. Some combination of pushing the home, volume and power button keeps me from pulling the battery

craign8

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Anyone found a working fix for this problem. I've tried clearing cache, restoring factory defaults, disabling lock screen, shutting down motions, and dummy file generator (generating 90-100% of internal space). I can always freeze and lockup the phone just by flipping the phone from landscape to portrait mode repeatly (usually happens in 5-6 turns). A battery pull is the only way to reset the phone.

...Just to reiterate, when flipping the phone, the phone freezes in mid flip, the screen usually stops mid turn aprox 30-40 degrees, the screen remains on, however no buttons will function (including power and holding power) and the only way to reset the phone is a battery pull.

tbunk32

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I tried factory reset my galaxy s3 and now for over 12 hours all it will show is flashing Samsung and a blue light in top left I've tried turning it off taking out the battery nothing works anybody know what to do?

craign8

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Update ...Tried the factory reset, didn't fix. I download the oem rom from xda, installed to sd card and updated through recovery. Thought it was good, .... then wham.... Problem reappeared. WTH.

dhentchel

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I see the same symptoms, usually in the gmail client. I rotate from portrait to landscape and the screen freezes while still at an angle. The only function that works at that point is to hold the power button down for ~ 10 seconds, which restarts the system. The only way I've found to prevent it is to disable screen rotation.

This "smells" like a thread locking bug in the screen rotation code. I'm not a Droid developer, but could perhaps do some debugging if anyone could provide guidance on how to diagnose such a system freeze.

wulvyhd

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I tried factory reset my galaxy s3 and now for over 12 hours all it will show is flashing Samsung and a blue light in top left I've tried turning it off taking out the battery nothing works anybody know what to do?

I have the same problem it only turns on when i plug it to the charger and wait for the picture of the battery to show up then turn it on and it works under the charger if i unplug it it freezes the screen a while later

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
it only turns on when i plug it to the charger and wait for the picture of the battery to show up then turn it on and it works under the charger if i unplug it it freezes the screen a while later
Does the phone operate normally if you leave the charger plugged in? If so, it sounds like you need a new battery.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante