I had a galaxy s3 with sprint for the last year but got tired of paying almost $90/month and switched to straight talk. Had to buy another S3 since my sprint S3 had no SIM card, so I bought an ATT S3, running android 4.1.2. I set up the APN as instructed by straight talk and everything works except data... just can't connect to the internet. On my old sprint S3, there is an option to turn data on and off in the top menu bar (when you swipe downwards from the top of the screen), but this option does not exist on this phone. There are buttons for wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc but NO DATA! At first I was thinking it was the APN settings, but now I am thinking there is something else wrong because I don't even see the data button to toggle it on or off. I can't see incorrect APN settings preventing the toggle data option from even showing on the phone.

Yes, I posted this somewhere else, but the mods never moved it... so here it is again in the correct forum. One member there suggested this

Try settings > data usage and look for a mobile data on/off switch

But that is already checked and enabled, no mobile data option

Any ideas?
    11-26-2013 10:42 AM
    The Widgetsoid app in play store has the ability to add a custom toggle bar in the notification area. It has many more options available than the original including a double line mode. I've been using it for ages and cellular data is one of my toggles. Maybe give it a try?
    11-26-2013 11:47 AM
    My sprint galaxy s3 had the data toggle right out of the box. Is this not the case for att galaxy phones? My data is not working so downloading a third party app is probably not going to get the data working.

Here's a picture of the ATT phone:
    No option to turn mobile data on or off on ATT Galaxy S3-att.jpg

And a picture of the sprint phone:
    No option to turn mobile data on or off on ATT Galaxy S3-sprint.jpg
    11-26-2013 01:59 PM
    I have always used Quick Settings. I Have been using it since I had my Samsung Captivate. I even put the shortcut in the bottom of the screen next to my app drawer icon

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.bwx.bequick
    GSDer likes this.
    11-26-2013 02:22 PM
    I set up the APN as instructed by straight talk and everything works except data.
    Sounds like they gave you incomplete information. I'm not a StraightTalk customer but I've seen quite a few posts about StraightTalk settings in the main forum - check those out and you'll probably find something that works for you.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Cody Smith9 likes this.
    11-28-2013 01:37 PM
    On my AT&T S3 with the new 4.3 update I still have an option to turn Mobile Data off in the "Settings - Connections - More Networks - Mobile Network" screen.. It isn't a nice toggle on the notification bar, but it is still there..

When the update was applied the other day this toggle ended up turned off for no apparent reason. Checking the box on that screen got everything working again as expected...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    12-01-2013 05:52 PM
    Just installed "Data Toggle Widget" by Bogdan Lazanu. Free, no ads, no permissions. Click data on, click data off. Perfecto. I'm on 4.3
    GSDer likes this.
    12-01-2013 08:24 PM
    When AT&T pushed out v4.2.1 the data toggle was taken out of the update... Not sure if it was an AT&T thing or Samsung in general...
    12-04-2013 09:31 AM
    12-04-2013 11:29 AM
    When AT&T pushed out v4.2.1 the data toggle was taken out of the update... Not sure if it was an AT&T thing or Samsung in general...
    I wonder why they would get rid of the data toggle. If there is no data toggle I guess we can assume that data is always ON unless there is a wifi connection. Therefore a third party app to turn data ON doesn't seem like the answer. The phone should have the ability to regulate data use without a third party app. Just for the heck of it I downloaded the quick settings app and there is a data toggle switch, which is set to OFF, and when I click it, it sends me to the "wireless and networks" screen in the settings, where you can change your APN and what not. I have already tried many different settings here to no avail. It does NOT turn the data ON, it just sends me to the settings!

The problem must be with the APN settings straight talk requires to get data working, which so many people have had problems with. With improper APN settings, I'm guessing you can't even switch the data toggle to ON. I was thinking originally that if there was a problem with the APN, the data would still be able to be switched to ON and that the data just would not work. Apparently, incorrect APN settings PREVENT the data toggle from even being switched to ON in the first place. Correct me if I am wrong with that assumption.

I have tried about 20+ different combinations of APN settings after reading through countless threads here and elsewhere but none of them work. This is getting very frustrating. Seems many others have given up on straight talk as well because their data never worked with any of the settings provided by straight talk or it's customers.
    12-17-2013 11:40 AM
    I finally located some APN settings that worked for me, at least partially. My internet is working but still no MMS. With my wifi off, as soon as I entered the correct APN settings I saw 4G at the top of my screen and my internet was working.

In case anyone cares, these are the settings that worked for me:

APN NAME: wap.tracfone
    NO PROXY, NO PORT,
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS PROXY: 66.209.11.32
    MMS PORT: 80
    NO APN TYPE, NO AUTHENTICATION TYPE, nothing else.
    12-17-2013 04:02 PM
    I finally located some APN settings that worked for me, at least partially. My internet is working but still no MMS. With my wifi off, as soon as I entered the correct APN settings I saw 4G at the top of my screen and my internet was working.

In case anyone cares, these are the settings that worked for me:

APN NAME: wap.tracfone
    NO PROXY, NO PORT,
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS PROXY: 66.209.11.32
    MMS PORT: 80
    NO APN TYPE, NO AUTHENTICATION TYPE, nothing else.
    12-17-2013 04:02 PM
    Go to settings -> Data usage - > mobile data - untick for off and tick for on
    03-13-2014 09:32 AM