Why Did S3 Lock Us Out?

mapenn

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
My wife has an ATT Galaxy S3. After nearly a year of no problems, last week it suddenly greeted her with a password screen (emergency calls only). Now, she had never setup a password; and we tried every logical / possible password that we would have ever used. Nothing worked. The SIM card DID work in another device. We reached out to ATT and the mobile store - who each told us that the only solution was to do a factory reset. Which I finally gave up and did.

So, my question is "why" did this happen? What would trigger the device to lock up like this with a password that we never setup?

As you can imagine, my wife doesn't want to spend hours getting all her settings / apps / music set back up until she understands what happened.

Thanks for any insight that you could provide! :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My wife has an ATT Galaxy S3. After nearly a year of no problems, last week it suddenly greeted her with a password screen (emergency calls only). Now, she had never setup a password; and we tried every logical / possible password that we would have ever used. Nothing worked. The SIM card DID work in another device. We reached out to ATT and the mobile store - who each told us that the only solution was to do a factory reset. Which I finally gave up and did.

So, my question is "why" did this happen? What would trigger the device to lock up like this with a password that we never setup?

As you can imagine, my wife doesn't want to spend hours getting all her settings / apps / music set back up until she understands what happened.

Thanks for any insight that you could provide! :)

Did you get an update before this happened?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
not that we are aware of. She doesn't remember seeing any notifications about a pending update.

This issue isn't isolated. I have seen it before, but still u sure as to why.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol