ERROR on recovery --> E: failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)

maidmarian4

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I don't know if it is related, but for the last 3 weeks, my phone has often decided it is going to be slow OR... it has a mind of its own and without any fingers, water, or other things touching it, will type on its own, select files, attempt to change the wallpaper, etc. No matter how much I mash my fingers on it to "listen," it just keeps at it!

So, today I thought I would just do a soft reset via recovery and wiping the cache partition. I've done it before for the above problem, and thought it doesn't hurt to try again to see if it helps (I am undecided as to if it makes any difference). I did wipe the cache partition, then chose "reboot system now" and it got stuck on the ATT logo screen. I repeated this process 3 times and it doesn't change the result. Every time I reach the recovery screen, the lines below the yellow text "Successfully applied multi-CSC," it says (exactly),

E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)
can't mount '/data' (Invalid argument)
E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)
E:Can't mount /data/log/recovery_log.txt

Besides doing a full factory reset (which would hopefully solve the problem), what can I do to fix my phone?

TIA!!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Since /data is where your information is stored there's no downside to performing a Factory Reset in Recovery mode. You might as well do that and see if the phone boots properly - if it gives you some other errors it may be time to reload the firmware.

If there's a Best Buy nearby you could take it in and they should be able to wipe/reload the whole thing.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Majosawa

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
hi, I have the same problem of yours . And I read the replay but in wasn´t very clear to me, so, can you fix it, because I haven´t and i´m thinking that this may be don´t have a solution, except for buying a new cell phone. :'( Thank you.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums!
i´m thinking that this may be don´t have a solution, except for buying a new cell phone
Buying a new phone would be a pretty drastic solution. I'd suggest booting into Recovery mode and performing a Factory Reset to see if that corrects the error.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ofir Forsht

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I have the same problem - wiped cache partition and ever since my phone is stuck in Galaxy opening pic (whatever it's called - showing the phone model).
I tried to reload my firmware using Odin (as I did several times before) but the problem hasn't been solved.
I can access recovery but not the rom, and if I try to do factory reset I still get the same result - failure to mount /data.
I suggestion or explanation to this problem?
Thanks

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums!
failure to mount /data.
I suggestion or explanation to this problem?
No explanation really - wiping the /cache partition shouldn't touch the /data partition.

Unfortunately, when you use Odin to load firmware it usually doesn't touch the /data partition (assuming that you may want to keep your data intact). You could try using the Kies software to reload the firmware, or find a ROM that specifically wipes /data. I imagine that you could even use ADB to wipe/format the /data partition but I can't tell you the commands offhand.

trax#WN

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with a Samsung Note II with custom bootloader. Using Philz y delete all partition with the option clean partition for new rom, then loaded latest samsung rom and format /data with the original recovery software several times. Finally I was able to recovery my cell and saves some money :)

Last edited:

natedavvg

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
i have this same issue. tried to restore to factory setting and got that message. then tried to fix using kies to select "emergency firmware recovery" but my device won't connect to kies. it'll connect to my computer, but won't connect to kies. screen says "connecting" and my phone says "downloading.. do not turn off target" help pls?

Sabby H

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Hello, have you been able to fix your phone?
I got the same error when I did a factory reset and then it got stuck on the welcome logo. I got to the system recovery screen, I did a wipe cache partition, then a factory reset and tried to reboot but it still gets stuck on the samsung logo.
How do you get past that? I have backed up all the info i need so i'm not worried about losing data.
I don't know anything about softwares or what odin or kies are, so a step by step solution would be much appreciated!

Thank you

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 22

Rudy Estrada

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Hola, yo lo solucione de la siguiente manera instale un root explorer y entre a la carpeta dev borre el archivo mmcblk0p19ya que en el recovery me aparecia ese que no dejaba wipping cache revisa cuando des wipping cache y ve que archivo impide montar los datos y eliminalo despues reinicia y ya

Kattie Rivera

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello, have you been able to fix your phone?
I got the same error when I did a factory reset and then it got stuck on the welcome logo. I got to the system recovery screen, I did a wipe cache partition, then a factory reset and tried to reboot but it still gets stuck on the samsung logo.
How do you get past that? I have backed up all the info i need so i'm not worried about losing data.
I don't know anything about softwares or what odin or kies are, so a step by step solution would be much appreciated!

Thank you

hi! My problem is very similar to yours! I went to repair shop and they said the internal memory has a problem >< Have you managed to fix your phone??

Syc22

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys...I have a Micromax canvas fun a74 and I'm trying to wipe data using recovery mode. Whenever I try it, it say
Wiping data.....
Mount /data error.
How can I fix this? Please help guys

rirodrig

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem whit my Galaxy S3. Wiped cache partition and ever since my phone is stuck in Galaxy opening pic. I did Wipe Data Cache first and Wipe Data/Facytory Reset again. I havn't any problem now.

saluz

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
i need help on how to hard reset my tecno p5 but it showed me ":failed to mount /data" kindly need urgent help..
i dont care weather to loose personal data but i just want to restore it.
help

matierra

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
This it what i do: Using mfastboot I erase all the partitions, except boot and recovery:
Code:
mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot erase system
mfastboot erase userdata

After that I enter to recovery and everything works normal.

wiggiw

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
This it what i do: Using mfastboot I erase all the partitions, except boot and recovery:
Code:
mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot erase system
mfastboot erase userdata

After that I enter to recovery and everything works normal.

Following your instruction I can't even mount systom.......And can't enter recovery mode also..........

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca