Backing up to SD Card...

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking (just THINKING) of updating to 4.4, but after reading here and talking to a really knowledgeable CSR at AT&T, I'm having my doubts. She suggested backing photos and music to the SD card and removing it before the download, then clear the cache and/or factory reset after (contacts are backed up on Google, and I don't have that many apps). But..how do I figure out how big the music and photo are? I have an 8GB card in there now, with nothing on it, but I can't figure out how to tell how big my music and photo files are. Any way to do this?

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't store backup data sets on the SD card of the same device. That's not safe at all. I store backup data sets OFF the device, on at least 2 other media, like a PC's harddisk and a(n encrypted) cloud storage account (free).

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I understand that. I was thinking of copying the music and photos on the card before the update, removing the card from the phone during the update, and then re-installing to the device after a factory reset.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
how do I figure out how big the music and photo are?
The Storage view seems to vary slightly by carrier (this screenshot is from the Verizon variant) but you should be able to use it to find the information you're looking for - go to Settings -> More (if using the Tab view) -> Storage
uta8uta6.jpg
Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, mine does not break it down that way.It lists SYSTEM MEMORY, USED SPACE, CACHED DATA and MISC FILES. My USED SPACE is 7 GB, but it isn't broken down as shown in the screen cap above, and I can't find anywhere else where it could be.