New unlocked S3 cannot make calls from some locations

ns8

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a brand new, unlocked Galaxy S3 and I'm a Consumer Cellular customer. I post in the AT&T forum because they share cell towers. This is the 3rd unlocked smartphone I have used with CC - the other two had no signal issues. When I got this phone, I did things as usual - put the SIM card in, called Consumer Cellular so they could do things on their end. But the S3 will not make or receive calls from within a mile (or more, not sure) of my house. I tried it inside my house, then went outside knowing I get bad signal inside my house, then drove down the road...no luck. Then I went about 20 miles away and it started working! I could make calls. On the way home, within a mile of my house, I couldn't make calls again.

Here's the info I've gathered so far from troubleshooting:
  1. If I put the same SIM in another phone, I can make calls. The SIM is fine and I think that means it's not a tower issue.
  2. I get full bars for signal even though calls don't go through
  3. When I try to make a call, it either says Emergency Calls Only or it tries for a while and hangs up (no ringing noise).
  4. I have tried making and receiving calls from multiple phones
  5. I live in a small city where everyone has AT&T or Verizon. Not some rural area where signal problems are common.

Does anyone have an idea? If I can't figure it out I will have to return the phone. Thanks

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds to be a phone issue. What signal strength are you getting on the other phone compared to the s3?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

ns8

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Both phones show full bars. That's the oddest part - S3 has full bars, can't make calls. Here's where I'm conflicted:

If it's a hardware issue, why does it work across town?
If it's a network issue, why does my other phone work?

I have been trying the phone outside in an area that has excellent cell coverage. No other phones have had issues around my house - none of my prior phones, plenty of family and friends phones, neighbors, etc. Including other S3s.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Could be a conflict between the s3 and the specific tower. Rare, but I have heard of cases like this

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

ns8

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I really hope that's not the problem but it's the only thing that makes sense so far. Other S3s have worked in/around my house but those have all been on Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech