Galaxy S3 has blank black screen after interrupting Media Scanner.

BlueJellyfish

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello. The screen of my T-Mobile model S3 with with T-Mobile microSIM card and AT&T bloatware (it's a long story, please check my old thread if you're curious) refuses to turn on after I interrupted/attempted-to-cancel a manual Media Scan. I am using SlimROM (file name Slim-d2lte-4.4.4.build.7.0-OFFICIAL-5979) as my custom ROM. I have already attempted to Odin flash it back to the factory ROM (blindly and unsuccessfully, since the screen is totally blank), but I can't get the timing right. I have also tried removing the battery, waiting a bit, and then popping it back in. I anticipate and appreciate your aid.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums!

That's a rather unusual coincidence - hard to believe that canceling a scan would cause the screen to go black. If you haven't had any luck booting into Recovery mode or Download mode then perhaps it's time to take it apart to see if something happened to come loose.

If that doesn't pan out then you could try this docking station http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QW3TBK...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3981567 - it should allow you to mirror the display using an HDMI cable, and you can use a USB keyboard/mouse for navigation. That way you can at least reload the stock firmware and see if it returns to normal operation.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

BlueJellyfish

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
OK, my MHL HDMI whatever cable FINALLY arrived today. Anyone willing to help me get output?

UPDATE: After some screwin' with the TV, I think I got it to recognize my phone. I can see a slight color difference at the left and right sides of my screen. BUT, there's no display on the TV either. I don't know exactly that this says about my phone, but it's not looking good. Should I just bite the financial bullet and take it to my local T-Mobile franchisee for inspection and\or repair?

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Assuming that you received an MHL<>HDMI adapter cable, all that should have been necessary was to connect an HDMI cable to the TV, select the appropriate HDMI input on the TV and you should have seen the (missing) phone display on the TV - no fiddling required.

Since this is not happening it doesn't look good - you could certainly take it in to a repair centre, but you might be better off investing the repair cost in a replacement device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital