Google Contacts on Phone Do Not Sync with Google gmail account

lbg3093

May 26, 2014
Visit site
When I add a "Google contact" on my phone (The google Icon is next to contact) it does not sync with my google contacts on line. My gmail and everything else syncs but not the contacts. It used to work but stopped working June 11, 2014 and I do not really recall what happened on that date. I have turned off the sync contacts in the contacts setting and turned it back on. It looks like it is updating but still shows last sync June 11 and contacts are not updated. I do have a lot of contacts. I'm wondering if I need to eliminate some, but it seems an unlikely fix. Any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account], and uncheck Contacts there, then check it again. Is that what you were doing?

Ultimately, you may need to go to Settings>Accounts​ and remove your Google account completely, then add it back again.

ximcix

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys.
Just last week I noticed that my contacts weren't syncing since October of 2014, but everything else was.
I did a bit of researching & this is the method that work for me without me losing a single contact or having to reset the device.

1. Open Contacts app & backup all contacts to SD Card/Storage (manage > export > to storage > select account)
  2. Uncheck "Sync Contacts" (Settings > Accounts & Sync > Google (select account))
  3. Clear data in Contacts Storage (Settings > Apps > All tab > Contacts Storage > Clear data)
  4. Restart device
  5. Check "Sync Contacts" (Settings > Accounts & Sync > Google (select account)). All contacts stored in google since last sync date will be restored
  6. Restore contacts that were backed up to SD Card/Storage in step 1 (this will include new contacts that were saved to dives after last sync date)
  7. After syncing & contacts are complete, you will have many duplicates. You can remove duplicates using the option in the contacts app, or via contacts.google.com (much faster)

Misc info:
I'm using an HTC One M7 with Android 5.0.2 (Software ver 6.23.651.6) & HTC Sense 6.0

Hope this helped anyone afflicted with this issue

Donny Jerome

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
The REBOOTING step is KEY. This same sequence to fix the contacts sync problem is posted similarly elsewhere, and I tried it, but it doesn't work without rebooting. Thanks for this!