For some backstory, here's my situation: I am currently with Straight Talk for myself and my husband's phones, have two lines with them and have been very satisfied with them up until recently when for some reason they can't get it together to transfer my husband's line over to an AT&T SIM instead of a T-mobile SIM. I've spent about three hours on the phone with them trying to get them to understand what I mean, but the language barrier and their standard answer of "I'm just waiting on my system" that kept me on the phone with them the other night until 10:00PM when all I wanted to do was get them to send me a new SIM since the one we were sent was defective has me up in arms and I'm tired of dealing with them. Especially since I got a second email about an hour after I got off the phone with them AGAIN about autopay because they sent me the first email saying my husband's line had been deactivated from draft and that his service will end. I'm fed up with them all around and it's time to change.

SO. I did some research and a bought two SIM's for Cricket Wireless, which uses AT&T service in our area and we have never had a problem with it as Straight Talk uses AT&T as well. But the stipulation with Cricket is that you have to have unlocked phones. I bought the Galaxy S3 I currently have off of Ebay about a year and a half ago and used it with a Straight Talk SIM and have had no problem with it, but it's locked to AT&T and it's currently running the 4.4.2 version of Android, so I'm going to use Odin to get it back to 4.1.1 so I can unlock it myself because per a call to AT&T last night, the wonderful person who sold me the phone off Ebay as "Brand New Never Used" bought the phone with a contract, canceled the contract, and sold the phone on Ebay. I can't get AT&T to unlock it for me because they say I have to wait until December when the "contract period" is up and then at that time they can unlock it for me.

My question is this and it may sound stupid but I can't find any information on this anywhere online after several searches (sorry for the long rant and rave, but it felt good to get that off my chest): After I downgrade the ROM to 4.1.1 and unlock it, at that point can I then upgrade the ROM again to a new version of Android and have the phone still be unlocked, or does this void the unlocking? I have zero experience with unlocking a phone although I have used Odin before to upgrade a ROM, so again I'm sorry if this sounds silly but I don't even want to attempt to upgrade Android again if it's going to mess with the unlocking. Any help/guidance would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
    04-13-2015 12:40 PM
    Locking and the ROM have nothing to do with each other (except that you may be able to unlock an earlier version and not a newer one, as in your case). So downgrade the ROM (if you need any help with that, see our guide, [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN - you do the same thing for any Odin-flashable ROM), unlock the phone, then update to 4.4.2 if you like.

Note - you choose the carrier by coverage, so if TMobile gives you better coverage, use them. If AT&T gives you better coverage, stay where you are. (And if you think Straight Talk's "customer support" is bad, wait until you have a problem with Cricket. There are many websites devoted to how bad Cricket is. At least with ST, you can get help on their Facebook page - that's where their good techs are.)
    04-14-2015 07:27 PM
    Can you please tell me a site where I can download Samsung Galaxy S3 android firmware 4.1.1? Thanks in advance.
    04-06-2016 01:52 AM