URGENT: Need help syncing Gmail contacts to my phone

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I decided I wanted to add some other POP and IMAP accounts to the Gmail app and afterward didn't like the way it worked. In order to remove them I had to go into Settings>Accounts and remove them. By mistake I removed my primary Gmail account and then had to add it back. When I did only about 20 of the 300 contacts I see on my Gmail Contacts list were added back. I've tried unchecking and checking the contacts on the Google account and it syncs quickly but doesn't add back all the contacts. WTF??? Does anyone know what the problem here is? I don't want to have to manually enter them.

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
First, make sure all of your Google Contacts are still intact on the web, at contacts.google.com (on your computer browser).

Assuming they are, open your Contacts app, tap Menu>Contacts to Display, and make sure all contacts are selected.

If that doesn't help, then go to the App Manager, select Contacts, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, and do the same for Contacts Storage. (Don't do this if you have contacts locally saved to the Phone account, though!) Now open Contacts again, and wait a few seconds for the contacts to sync. Do they appear now?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'm beginning to think that to be safe it's probably best I just manually enter those that are necessary. What I don't get is why only a segment of the contacts from the Web aren't syncing instead of all of them.

Posted via the Android Central App

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
OK after a hiccup with the ATT Address book sync, the phone finally finished and all my contacts have been restored. Thanks for the advice!

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
What's odd now is that the sync icon with the two circular arrows appears in the notification bar above and when I pull it down it says it synced already. I don't see the sync running in the Battery settings, have unchecked the AT&T address book, rebooted a few times (even a soft boot removing the battery for 30 sec) and nothing seems to get rid of the sycn icon in the notification bar.. very bizzare!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does that icon also have an exclamation mark--i.e., suggesting that there was a sync error? Do you see any sync errors in the Settings>Accounts-Google>[your account]​ menu?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
No sync errors. It's just the circular arrows. I don't see the sync running on the battery or in app manager either which is why it's really strange. I've never seen this before even when I first set up the phone and synced to my Google account.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I just pressed the notification in the drop down and it took me to the contacts app. I unchecked the box for notification and the icon is gone now. I figured that's safer than stopping the app or anything else.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Puzzling. I wish I could actually have the phone in my hands to see what's going on. As long as your contacts are syncing correctly, it should probably be fine.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the help and yes it's puzzling but for now it appears to be handled. At some point it will be time to upgrade though I seriously doubt I'll get another Galaxy phone.