I noticed a few weeks ago my phone was operating strangely which I attributed to the non-stop Google app updates.

I have an AT&T Micro-cell and the phone was having difficulty 'finding it' which was the first symptom. It also seemed very laggy so I removed some apps though I really don't have that many.

I did lots of clearing the app cache in safety mode, soft resets (remove battery for 30 sec) etc but nothing seemed to change it.

Yesterday I tapped my B of A app, and there was a notice saying the phone was in "Developer Mode" giving me the option to change it by tapping 'settings'. I tapped that option and it took me to the black page with a slew of Developer listings of which all boxes were unchecked. I noticed the toggle switch was 'on' so I turned it off. This seems to have been the problem all along but I have NO idea how it went into that mode, NOR do I see it in settings when I look now.

Has anyone had this experience and if so, how does the phone switch to Developer mode? Also where in settings is Developer mode?

Thanks
    06-12-2017 01:01 PM
    I can't speak to your phone directly, but in general, Developer Mode sits near the bottom of the Settings page. Developer mode is not enabled (nor visible) by default; to make it so, you go to Settings -> About phone and tap on Build number multiple times (7, if I recall correctly) until you get a popup announcing that you are now a developer.

In and of itself, Developer mode is normally harmless, although it can interfere with Android Pay (I believe). Many of the developer mode options, however, can cause all sorts of weirdness if you enable them and then forget that you have done so. If you can get hold of a buddy's phone for a few minutes, it is always fun to enable "Force RTL layout direction" when he is not looking...
    06-12-2017 01:31 PM
    I can't speak to your phone directly, but in general, Developer Mode sits near the bottom of the Settings page. Developer mode is not enabled (nor visible) by default; to make it so, you go to Settings -> About phone and tap on Build number multiple times (7, if I recall correctly) until you get a popup announcing that you are now a developer.

In and of itself, Developer mode is normally harmless, although it can interfere with Android Pay (I believe). Many of the developer mode options, however, can cause all sorts of weirdness if you enable them and then forget that you have done so. If you can get hold of a buddy's phone for a few minutes, it is always fun to enable "Force RTL layout direction" when he is not looking...
    Thanks. A number of notable differences since turning Developer mode off are: A) better battery life, B) No longer any problem connecting with the Micro-cell, C) Kit Kat app opening/closing animation has returned, D) faster camera response and there are likely others. It appears that it may have been turned on longer ago than I first thought and was likely the result of a third party app that's no longer on the phone. I'm not going to bother trying to bring up Developer mode again just to be safe.
    06-12-2017 03:30 PM