Life Long iPhone Fanatic - Change

ZippySLC

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm another long time iOS user who just switched to the One. I would probably have upgraded to the iPhone 5 but I'm not really a fan of the elongated form factor and I wanted to try something different.

There's a big learning curve jumping from iOS to Android. A lot of the things I have been frustrated with on the One have mostly been from being firmly entrenched in the "Apple Way" of doing things. What I will say, however, is that a lot of the time the "Apple Way" is a really good way.

The default music player, as well as Google Play, is infuriating to me. The one in iOS is just *perfect.* I have a lot of music on my phone, so I want to see a simple list of artists, then under that a simple list of the albums I have, and then under the albums a simple list of the tracks. The Sense Music Player does that (kind of - you can't drill down into individual albums because they're all automatically expanded) but what really gets me is that it sorts bands that start with a "The" in the "T" section. I can't believe that, in the Year of Our Lord 2013, that someone would still code a music app that way. The solution for me was to pay for a license for Poweramp to (somewhat) replicate the iOS music app.

Another gripe I have is Blinkfeed. Why can't it just be a widget that you can disable? I potentially could see myself using it if there were more content sources, but I'm not really interested in the ones they have. Ideally I'd just disable all of the facebook/flickr/news stuff and have it show my calendar, but it complains at you with a big blue box if you don't pick something else for it to show besides your calendar.

Same thing with the Gallery app. I'd just like to see the pictures I've taken with the camera phone. I don't want to see my friends Facebook pictures in there.

The other thing that kills me is the flush power and volume buttons. It's annoying to change the volume if you're walking and the phone is in your pocket.

I've had the phone for 16 days so far and just recently a spec of dust got under the camera lens, so there's a transparent orb that shows up on every picture I take. I had a rather unpleasant experience at the AT&T store today dealing with it, although they are sending me a refurb HTC One as a replacement. (Not so happy to have bought a new phone 16 days ago and now end up with a refurb, but a working refurb to me is better than a broken new phone.) Truth be told, had they let me, I'd have just exchanged the phone out for an iPhone 5, but it seems like I'm stuck with this phone for the next 2 years so I may as well make the best of it.

I'm hoping for a sense-less HTC provided ROM soon. I think that will go a way towards making me a little happier with the phone.

Antitryptic

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Switched from iPhone two years ago for the HTC One X and never have looked back since! The perks of having customization outweigh everything I [do not] miss from the iPhone. iOS got nothin' on Android right now. :cool:

ExAppleFanboy

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I recently made the same jump to the "Dark Side" on 6/4/13 although some may actually consider this the Light side. This is my first Android experience and I am LOVING it thus far. Doesn't hurt that the HTC One is such a beautiful device. I had become so bored with iOS after being with Apple since the iPhone 3G. If Apple doesn't impress with iOS 7 today I can see many more jump ship out of frustration. They will always have their core fanboy diehards which I had previously classified myself under. But hey if I made the change, any of them could do so as well.

Antonio Gil

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I just made the switch yesterday AT&T had a deal for the HTC One and a beats pill for 99 bucks so I couldnt resist.I waited in line for the original Iphone and I just traded in my 4 for the HTC One.I am totally amazed with this phone it is very well built. I am sure it must be a blast to use.I am currently trying to get all of the Apple bad habits out of my system.

inisfree

May 4, 2013
Visit site
iOS7 did not impress and unless a larger screen iPhone comes along more and more iPhans will do what we did.
HTC One Rules!! This is the most amazing phone Ive had to date....sorry Apple ;(
:-$:-$

inisfree

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Who am I kidding. I'll get the next iPhone but I'm not as adamant as I used to be and have recommended android phones to friends and family. Especially to anyone with vision issues i.e. fellow geezers

inis nexus

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Been on the One (Neo) for two weeks now including roaming in the UK, and I'm happy with it as well. However, I have a slightly greater appreciation for iOS. Right out the box, the more tightly integrated ecosystem of iOS is easier to work with. I miss Passbook because I used it to pop up my Starbucks card whenever I got to my favorite Starbucks locations. And, I used it for my American Airlines travel. They just popped up at the right place. I also miss Siri believe it or not. She worked great for me setting timers, reminders, alarms, etc. As much as iTunes is bashed, it made syncing playlists real easy, although I just found iSyncr which fixes all my gripes for media syncing.

Try using google now for siri like functions, i found google now works better for me mainly because so many times siri would not understand me but google now always hears me.

Passbook is nice i use it for movie tickets and dunkin donuts but a couple times i tried for movie tickets it wouldnt register so i had to print the tickets anyway. It was more of a novelty to me than anything. Now i would be truly happy if more phone and more places used google wallet. That would be great because this would be useful to load up a card on my phone and be able to use that instead of taking my wallet out.

Allan k1

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Why does google now come up what seems like its own sometimes? What are the activation methods for google now other than holding down the home button?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar